PDA

View Full Version : LFLN: IFR possible at weekends?

peterh337
25th Aug 2012, 09:03
The AIP (https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/uk/..%5CPDF_AIPparSSection%5CVAC%5CAD%5C2%5C1210_AD-2.LFLN.pdf) says (page 6)

ATS: MON-FRI except HOL: SUM : 0600 - 2200 - WIN: 0700 - 2100.

i.e. no ATS (i.e. nobody in the tower) at weekends.

I have departed from there at weekends and indeed it is silent and one has to remain OCAS until able to pick up an IFR clearance from some enroute controller (Marseilles was the last one I was told to use, but they did not reply to the radio so I got another one). But I have never arrived there on a weekend.

It appears that there is no way to arrive "IFR" at weekends and indeed that would definitely be the case in the UK, but I read something about France allowing IAPs without ATC, using pilot calls only.

A more regular way would be the US system whereby a remotely located approach controller clears you for the IAP but I cannot find any evidence of that in this case.

I cancelled that trip anyway due to bad wx all around but not being able to land at LFLN on Sunday would have really been the icing on the cake....

peterh337
25th Aug 2012, 13:19
I don't doubt the aerodrome is open H24, for VFR, but for IFR? You need to be "cleared for the approach" by somebody... (well, usually ;) ).

achimha
25th Aug 2012, 14:00
I've seen remarks in the French AIP like "IFR trng proh outside ATS hr" which implies that you can make non training approaches. This was in Colmar.

werewolf
26th Aug 2012, 21:32
LFLN (St-Yan) : IFR possible at weekends ? Answer : No
To land or to take-off IFR without any ATCO on duty, the airfield must be equipped with a "STAP" and (by night) a PCL.
A "STAP" is a "Système de Transmission Automatique de Paramètres".
A pilot, clicking quickly five times on the PTT on the frequency get instant and current information (synthetic voice) on ceiling, visibility, wind (direction and force), QNH ....etc and a runway lighting too.
STAP and PCL are paid for by the local airfield operator. St-Yan is in the middle of nowhere, and the operator doesn't bother to buy such equipment.
By daylight (ie from SR-30 to SS+30), when ATCO are not in duty (on weekend days), relevant airspaces become class G.
As usual in France, St-Yan is available to any VFR traffic, no PPR, just turn up and land.
Minimum VFR met conditions (by daylight) on French class G airfields are : no cloud under 500 ft (agl or aal), viz 1500 m.
You transmit blind on the tower frequency in French (if not in Frenglish).
With ATCO (Clermont) approval you could do a let-down at St-Yan (by daylight), and must able to see the surface at 500' aal.
You transmit blind on TWR 122.300 (LFLN) :
" November Alpha Charlie en percée ILS sur piste 33, 800 pieds Fox Echo"
a "percée" is literally a breakthrough (a let-down in French). Percer is in English to pierce.
percée ILS: say pair-say ee-L-S
800 pieds FE or 1600 pieds at LFLN (with no pressure reference, it means always QNH).
Again : " NAC en percée ILS piste 33, 600 pieds Fox Echo "
" NAC en vue du sol, finale 33 "

Now, tell me if you could land IFR at Caen (Normandy) LFRK at night without any ATCO, FISO ... ? Please look at the VAC chart.
At some airfields, STAP and PCL are not available anytime, anynight, but only on request (PPR) : ie Colmar LFGA : the LFGA operator switch on STAP and PCL for a requested arrival or departure.
Usually STAP and PCL are not permitted for IFR circuit training at night.
Hope that helps you.

werewolf
26th Aug 2012, 22:10
I add :
1. STAP and PCL for IFR, only on airfields with IFR procedures (of course),
2. Alternate must always be an airfield with IFR procedures and with ATCO present on duty.
Landing IFR at LFRK at 2am, alternate is Rennes LFRN, Nantes LFRS or Paris (Orly LFPO or Roissy LPPG).

peterh337
27th Aug 2012, 07:05
Interesting, especially the 500ft cloudbase bit :)

Is the LFLN ILS switched off when ATC go home?

IanSeager
27th Aug 2012, 07:17
Landing IFR at LFRK at 2am, alternate is Rennes LFRN, Nantes LFRS or Paris (Orly LFPO or Roissy LPPG).

Werewolf

If you land at 2am, any idea how do you get out of the airfield (apart from climbing over the fence that is)?

Ian

patowalker
27th Aug 2012, 07:50
In a blue Citroen Jumper? :)