PDA

View Full Version : Mid "Aviation" Life Crisis!

Whodyanikabolokoff
24th Aug 2012, 21:12
Dear All,

Please be gentle, first post and all that...
As the title suggests I am having a bit of a mid life crisis when it comes to flying and would welcome some helpful suggestions, thoughts etc etc. I have had a JAR PPL (SEP) for many years now and enjoy flying purely for the sake of flying, not as a means of transport and the heady days of thinking I might do an ATPL are long gone. I am getting a bit frustrated spending hundreds of pounds to rent a PA28 from my local club just to get airborne, there must be a more fun and cheaper way!!

I am wondering whether I should..

a. Get a share in something aerobatic - fun but expensive
b. Convert to a NPPL(M) and buy a cheap 3 axis or Flexwing (or share), I like the look of the CFM Shadow - perhaps high ongoing expense as an owner?
c. Convert to a NPPL(SLMG) and get a share in something aerobatic.
d. Go completely off-piste and buy a paramotor!
e. Get an aerobatics certificate and rent something aerobatic - few and far between clubs.

I have saved a little cash and have a small budget of £6k to spend on something (not including differences training or license conversion).

Any suggestions?!? Thanks..

W.

piperboy84
24th Aug 2012, 22:15
Kick the wife and kids out, fling granny down the stairs, the money you'll save being single and renting out granny's house will go for a down payment on a shiny new plane.

Problem solved !!

taybird
24th Aug 2012, 23:50
Definitely recommend a share in something that interests you. The group members are important too - you need to be able to get on and have similar attitudes, for example towards maintenance and aircraft cleaning etc.

I wouldn't be flying now, if I hadn't been invited into a group just as I was finishing my PPL. Easy availability and low price flying are absolutely worth it.

I'd recommend keeping some funds back to cover emergency maintenance costs, if you're somewhat limited. So from £6k maybe spend a max of £5k on a share. That way you won't end up over stretching yourself. Plus bear in mind monthly costs, and annual costs that need to be budgeted for.

Enjoy!

The500man
25th Aug 2012, 07:53
For aerobatic stuff you can start by looking here (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/aircraft+eqpt-for-sale.htm). Unfortunately there isn't really anything that fits your budget. The closest is a S2A for £7500, but it doesn't say what size the share is. The One Design looks very interesting if you want something cheap to fly, capable, and single seat. Again unfortunately the share price is out of your budget and I've no idea what the maintenance costs would be. Also something to bear in mind is that with low numbers of shares you are more exposed to cash calls for unplanned or unexpected maintenance.

Whodyanikabolokoff
25th Aug 2012, 09:26
Thanks to all the replies thus far. I like the idea of kicking the kids out!! Not sure about the wife though, I might starve...

Any opinion on the NPPL(M) suggestion? Would it be madness to let the JAR PPL lapse in time for the sake of Microlight flying? Is the CFM Shadow a good piece of kit and easy to maintain?

Thanks again.

magpienja
25th Aug 2012, 09:56
I fly a 17 year old flexwing...would not part with it....give it a go....nothing really like it...got to pick your days with the older models,

For 2.5k or less you could be away.

gearupflapsupshutup
25th Aug 2012, 10:14
go gliding!!!

DavidWoodward
25th Aug 2012, 10:49
I've got an NPPL(M) and fly the Ikarus C42 and EV-97 Eurostar. The cost of hiring is very low costing me just £64 per hour wet!
The aircraft are very modern but can sometimes be a little slow compared to their A counterparts. Fuel burn is roughly 12-14lph in the cruise. It's definitely something I'd recommend.

stickandrudderman
25th Aug 2012, 11:04
Your 6K will llimit your options somewhat but have a look at a share in an LAA machine. They're much better value than CAA machines and many have better performance than similar certified types.

BackPacker
25th Aug 2012, 11:34
The aerobatics aircraft I rent (a Robin 2160) is approximately 200 euros an hour. For 6000 euros I can do about 30 hours on that aircraft, which roughly translate to 30 sorties. Or, essentially, one sortie a week, allowing for vacations, bad weather, aircraft unavailable etc. For 6000 UKP you should be able to find something similar.

You don't have to fly a Pitts, Extra or something else fancy (and expensive) to have a whole load of aerobatic fun! (I compete with that aircraft at Standard level and normally leave a few Pitts' in my wake...)

Other side of the spectrum: I recently passed my GPL exam. Gliding is a load of fun too, and cheaper. But gliding is very much a club sport and will take up a full Saturday or Sunday (or both), and is typically hard on the family - unless they are into gliding as well.

Fuji Abound
25th Aug 2012, 11:38
There seem to be numerous mentions of aerobatics!

A group aerobatic aircraft need not be that expensive. Of course it will depend on what it is and its condition.

Most people find joining a group is the best thing they have done. Some the worst.

It will always be a bad experience if it is a bad group. This will turn into poor availability, high and unexpected bills and potentially all sorts of other hassles.

This simply proves the importance of carefully considering any Group before you join. Find the right group and you will find good availability, on the whole predictable costs, camaraderie, and, with luck, will learn a great deal more about flying.

Unfortunately, short of forming your own group, you are "stuck" with whats available at your local airport(s). Obviously there may or may not be something that fits. Ask around and sometimes it is surprising what can turn up.

NPPLs and paramotors will prove very different experiences. They might suite you, they might not. I'd try out a flexwing or anything that is not certified first. I know nothing of paramotors; presumably they are difficult to "try" - can you fly one tandem? I suspect they are a lot of fun, but I also suspect you are very limited by the weather as to when you can fly - probably not ideal given the latest British summer!