PDA

View Full Version : CTC Fully Sponsored Advanced Flight Instructor Development Programme

cessna310
24th Aug 2012, 14:58
Hi There,

Just read about this programme.Has anyone been to this programme?

Cessna310

foxmoth
25th Aug 2012, 13:31
If you are paying £192 for the assessment the lunch ain't free!!:mad:

FlyingOfficerKite
25th Aug 2012, 18:03
The matter of 'career' commercial instructors has been discussed within PPRuNe before at some length.

I know the concensus of opinion appears to be that there will be a dire shortage in the not too distant future.

When I last attended my instructor seminar the issue was raised and I understand the professional flight training academies are suffering to a greater or lesser extent ... which, of course, is why CTC have dreamed up the advanced instructor programme.

My thought is that it is hardly likely to solve the problem - who exactly do they foresee as being the candidates for this advanced instruction?

If they are targetting the newly qualified professional pilot (150-200 hrs IFR?), who has just paid in the region of €100,000 to train, then they may have a short-term fix - but who in their right mind is going to tie themselves into a two-year agreement when their sole purpose is to aim for that airline position? The pay, starting at £18,000 or so a year, is hardly likely to put a dint in their repayments. In addition, do the airlines what low-houred, inexperienced, instructors teaching the next batch of trainees? I suspect not.

The more experienced instructor is unlikely to be able to manage on that kind of salary - and what happens after the first 2 years?

Older, highly experienced ex-airline pilots, are possibilities - where they are retired, on a good pension and don't have the necessary instructor qualifications. These are the only pilots I can see who will have the CTC 'magic mix' of qualifications and experience.

These gentlemen are, historically, the inhabitants of the professional flying schools.

So where are the 'career' flying instructors (aged 30-65). Well they're scarce as hens' teeth and always have been. Some don't have the qualifications (150-200 hrs IFR, again?), whilst others can't afford to get them.

It seems the only way to attract long-term, qualified, experienced and competent flying instructors to these professional flying schools is to train them and PAY THEM THE RIGHT MONEY!!! (150-200 hrs IFR, yet again?)

When students are being paid more than the instructors (as is the case in some, if not all, the flight academies) then something needs to change. Reliance can't be placed on the 'good old boys' who come out of the airlines and fancy a job in their retirement. What seems to be required is a structured approach to the training and employment of professional flying instructors.

Training Captains, in the airlines, are paid airline salaries plus an (all too low) addition for their work as trainers.

The only way to attract the 'right stuff', in the right quantity, is to pay a professional salary befitting the skills, responsibilities and experience they have on offer - and this, in my opinion, isn't a turboprop first officer's income.

Jet first officer maybe, but even then will that attract the right people?

I know of candidates who have passed selection with the main flight academies only to refuse employment simply because the terms and conditions offered do not provide for a reasonable lifestyle compared with that to be obtained elsewhere.

Perhaps in times of recession some pilots do seek refuge in instructing. What is required is a body of professionals aloof from the commercial considerations of airline flying, but who can provide a long-term, effective employment solution.

Quite where these pilots are is difficult to see?

IFR time is always an issue.

CTC may have the right approach by offering the correct instructor training, but whether they have the right 'package' in the long-term remains to be seen?

FOK :confused:

darn
26th Aug 2012, 10:00
FOK - spot on.

I know many experienced PPL instructors who would love to take it to the next level and teach commercial flying as an alternative career to the arilines.

This CTC scheme could have been a great opportunity but they have shot themselves in the foot by insisting on 150hrs IFR time.

How is your typical PPL instructor going to gain theses hours? By getting in with the airlines or some kind of air taxi work, in which case he's highly unlikely to step back into instructing.

Would be interesting to see how many serious applicants they get.

Trim Stab
27th Aug 2012, 08:33
This CTC scheme could have been a great opportunity but they have shot themselves in the foot by insisting on 150hrs IFR time.

150 hours IFR is not really very much at all to be credible as an IFR instructor.

I agree with you though that they probably won't get many applicants. Why would anybody with decent multi-engine IFR time be interested in a job that pays less than a bus-driver gets in Bournemouth.