PDA

View Full Version : Radar altimeter requirement for CAT I, II, III

Cecco
24th Aug 2012, 09:49
I recently was safety pilot on a citationjet (CAT I certified) and it struck me that it had no radar altimeter. I gather that a radar altimeter is therefore only
mandatory for CAT II and CATIII certified aircraft?

Cheers

Cecco

aterpster
24th Aug 2012, 12:14
Cecco:

I recently was safety pilot on a citationjet (CAT I certified) and it struck me that it had no radar altimeter. I gather that a radar altimeter is therefore only mandatory for CAT II and CATIII certified aircraft?

Mostly the case although the RAs on an autoland aircraft are required for even a VFR autoland.

Only on (most) CAT II approaches can the RA be used to determine DA instead of the baro altimeters, because where "RA" is stated on the CAT II chart the elevation of the CAT II DA point has been surveyed.

safetypee
24th Aug 2012, 12:43
Rad Alt would not normally be required for a Cat 1 aircraft, although I would expect one to be fitted for EGPWS/TAWS (an essential safety aid). Or does (your) TAWS use geometric altitude?

The equipment requirements for All Weather Operations (Cat 2-3) are in CS-AWO. (http://www.easa.eu.int/agency-measures/docs/agency-decisions/2003/2003-006-RM/decision_ED_2003_06_RM.pdf). For the US, AC 29 is similar, but not identical.
Operational (national) approvals might vary these requirements, but recent European tightening of the rules should align GA all weather ops with commercial ops; however the US might differ significantly with their FAR 121 / 135 operations.
Also the new generation of technology may be challenging some to the existing rules.
Crosscheck with EU OPS 1, but that might only add to the confusion !

FE Hoppy
24th Aug 2012, 18:10
Roughly for EASA

Cat I - not required
Cat II - One required
Cat III - Two required

max nightstop
26th Aug 2012, 20:10
The RAs are required for a VFR auto land because they tell the autopilot when to flare!

aterpster
26th Aug 2012, 23:46
max:

The RAs are required for a VFR auto land because they tell the autopilot when to flare!

As I stated in Post #2. The autoland system doesn't know about weather. :)

de facto
27th Aug 2012, 05:34
I remember reading that RA are also used by the TCAs system....

Check Airman
27th Aug 2012, 05:42
Correct. TCAS uses the RA input to inhibit RA's below a certain height.

max nightstop
28th Aug 2012, 07:09
Aterpster,

My reply has nothing to do with weather. My point is that without RA the autopilot doesn't know where the ground is! I was simply expanding on your point that RSS are required for VFR autoland by saying why they were required.