PDA

View Full Version : IR Revalidation/Renewal

Potential
21st Aug 2012, 14:39
I've held a UK CAA issued JAA IR for 3 years now, but I may be moving outside of Europe for a VFR job and I'm trying to get my head around the implications for my IR.

I am trying to decide whether or not to maintain my IR or just let it lapse and renew it on my return to the UK, so my query basically comes down to trying to understand the difference between revalidation (which I have done twice now) and a renewal. I have looked at CAP 804 and tried to understand Part-FCL, but still came out a little confused. I called the CAA, but the person I spoke to didn't seem that sure in what they were saying and only answered regarding LASORS, which are about to become redundant.

It is my understanding that if an IR has lapsed for more than 5 years (which shouldn't be an issue for me) then you have to do a full initial IR skills test with a CAA examiner, so this leaves the question about how the test for a renewal differs from that of a revalidation.

redbull21
21st Aug 2012, 17:38
This is what I understand of the IR Renewal/revalidation question.

Revalidation is a flight test completed within the expiry period, ie the IR is still current and valid. In the UK this allows you to alternate between conducting the test in the SIM one year and the aircraft the following year. The MEP however must always be conducted in the aircraft.

Renewal is if the IR is expired (with the 5 years), even if it is one day out you must renew and this requires that the flight test be conducted in the aircraft only. You cannot do a renewal in the sim.

As far as I know there is no difference in what is required for the flight test for a revalidation or renewal, however if you do allow your IR to expire past the 5 year mark then it is a full IR skills test with a CAA examiner.

That is my understanding but I'm sure someone here who is much more conversant with JAR FCL will be able to advise if any of that is incorrect.

Whopity
21st Aug 2012, 18:46
One of the changes that is coming into force with EASA is that a renewal must be conducted at an ATO who must make an assessment and conduct training before you take the Renewal test.

The 5 year requirement to complete that test with a CAA FE is a hangover from the old UK National IR requirements. It has never been a JAA requirement and there is no such EASA requirement. The JAA brought in the 7 year rule which is more stringent: FCL.625 IR — Validity, revalidation and renewal
(a) Validity. An IR shall be valid for 1 year.
(b) Revalidation.
(1) An IR shall be revalidated within the 3 months immediately preceding the expiry date of the rating.
(2) Applicants who fail to pass the relevant section of an IR proficiency check before the expiry date of the IR shall not exercise the IR privileges until they have passed the proficiency check.EN L 311/32 Official Journal of the European Union 25.11.2011
(c) Renewal. If an IR has expired, in order to renew their privileges applicants shall:
(1) go through refresher training at an ATO to reach the level of proficiency needed to pass the instrument element of the skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part; and
(2) complete a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part, in the relevant aircraft category.
(d) If the IR has not been revalidated or renewed within the preceding 7 years, the holder will be required to pass again the IR theoretical knowledge examination and skill test.

nick14
21st Aug 2012, 19:53
Be careful with the renewal requirements as I think that in the AMC and GM to part FCL it suggests that if the rating has lapsed by more than 1 year there is a minimum of 3 training sessions before the check.

There are some changes coming in those particular areas for many ratings.

Cheers

Potential
27th Sep 2012, 19:38
Thanks for all of your responses. Having asked around a bit on this, I am coming to the conclusion that the actual skills test for revalidation and renewal are the same, the only difference being that every second reval can be in a sim and there is compulsory training before renewal.

Nick, I looked at AMC and GM to part FCL regarding the suggestion that if the rating has lapsed by more than 1 year there is a minimum of 3 training sessions before the check. However it does say "The amount of refresher training needed should be determined on a case-by-case basis by the ATO" and also the training requirements listed are described as "guidance". I don't think I will reach this situation, but if I hadn't done any instrument flying for 2 years, it doesn't seem unreasonable to imagine that 3 training sessions may be required anyway. I just hope that some of them could be in the sim to keep the cost down!

BillieBob
27th Sep 2012, 19:45
...if the rating has lapsed by more than 1 year there is a minimum of 3 training sessions before the check.Define 'training session'. The AMC does not suggest a minimum time or even that flight training is required. More important is the 'suggested' refresher training after 7 years - "the full training course for the issue of the IR."

Linda Mollison
28th Sep 2012, 07:27
Has anyone noticed that you need to redo your TK 7 years after the IR was renewed or revalidated, not 7 years after its expiry date as it used to be.

So you only have 6 years after the expiry date!

Linda Mollison

500 above
28th Sep 2012, 08:27
Not quite with you there, Linda. If my JAA IR was issued on 10/05/06 valid until 09/05/07 (I'm abroad flying on a foreign ICAO licence) is the ATPL theory still OK under the new regs until 10/05/13?

Thanks

Linda Mollison
28th Sep 2012, 16:45
500 above

Under JAA rules:

To renew an IR(A) that has EXPIRED BY MORE THAN 7 YEARS, applicants must: For single-pilot aircraft pass an IR(A) skill test in an aeroplane with a UK CAA Staff Flight Examiner. Applicants will also be required to retake the IR(A) theoretical knowledge examinations.

LASORS 2010

So you got 7 years from the expiry date to renew it without losing your ATPL exam credits.

Under EASA rules:

If the IR(A) has not been revalidated or renewed within the preceding 7 years, the holder will be required to pass again the IR theoretical knowledge
examination and skill test.

CAP804

So you get 7 years from the test date to renew it without losing your ATPL ground credits.

I tried to argue this with Adam Whitehead recently but he confirmed that you only get 6 years fron the expiry date.

You are right that you have until 10/05/13 before you need to redo your IR, but under JAA rules you would have had until 10/05/14.

Linda Mollison

Whopity
28th Sep 2012, 17:28
FCL.625 IR(d) If the IR has not been revalidated or renewed within the preceding 7 years, the holder will be required to pass again the IR theoretical knowledge examination and skill test.Therefore if it had been revalidated it would reset the clock until it expires. Compare that with JAR-FCL 1.185(c) If the IR(A) has not been revalidated/renewed within the preceding 7 years, the holder will be required to retake the IR(A) theoretical knowledge examination and skill test. Doesn't that say the same thing? Is it not time we had some joined up writing?

500 above
28th Sep 2012, 17:43
Thanks Linda and Whopity. Much appreciated.