PDA

View Full Version : ...and so to the pub (after writing off a Tiger)

OpenCirrus619
21st Aug 2012, 10:04
Pilot's crashes plane in a field, takes photo of the wreckage... then goes to the pub | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188099/Pilots-crashes-plane-field-takes-photo-wreckage--goes-pub.html)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/14/article-2188099-148A3C45000005DC-378_634x472.jpg

OC619

P.S. Feel sure this must have been covered in another thread - but couldn't find it.

Heston
21st Aug 2012, 10:09
Are we supposed to infer from the DM article that going to the pub was in some way the wrong thing to do? Its exactly what I'd have done in similar circumstances!

And in what way is it a "crime scene" as indicated by the tape in one photo?

H

englishal
21st Aug 2012, 10:14
Sounds like a fine idea!

mad_jock
21st Aug 2012, 10:16
All aircraft crash are a crime scene until the local pod decide otherwise.

And going to the pub and drinking alcohol is a stupid thing to do until you have spoken to plod.

waldopepper42
21st Aug 2012, 11:08
Says he was "later spotted in a local pub". No mention of leaving before plod gave the OK.

Think a drink would be welcome after that!

Jan Olieslagers
21st Aug 2012, 11:21
After both crashes I managed to survive*, a cool drink was most welcome. So yes, off to the bar it was on each occasion. Clever to crash on or near an airfield, if one really must. All airfields have a bar, round here.

On the first occasion I was only a pupil and it was clear from the beginning there would be no official investigation, so for (draught!) lager I went.

Second time I was the PIC, so stuck to water, even if damage was very limited.

*and none unsurvived, as yet

ShyTorque
21st Aug 2012, 11:22
Will they be prosecuting him for leaving the scene of an accident? :rolleyes:

Fuji Abound
21st Aug 2012, 11:25
He may have needed a drink for strictly medicinal purposes.

ShyTorque
21st Aug 2012, 12:03
Or the loo.....

Ballywalter Flyer
21st Aug 2012, 12:11
The left hand side appears to be OK

I had a friend who (after total engine failure) totalled a Cassutt Racer during a display (turned the aircraft into matchsticks).

He clambered out, took a few paces, sat on the grassy mound that he had impacted a few seconds before, and lit up a cigarette (think he smoked the whole pack before help arrived.

Injuries - None, the Cassut took all of the forces, leaving him unscathed

Fuji Abound
21st Aug 2012, 13:15
All is clear - in fact it is just teetering on the edge of a deep ravine, flip it upright and all should be well.

ETOPS
21st Aug 2012, 14:41
Seen here in better days............

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4080/4802206953_fa98a3351a_z.jpg

snchater
21st Aug 2012, 14:48
After a mid-air the sensible action is to light a cigarette!

Scroll to 1min34sec

Mig 29 mid air collision - YouTube

Ballywalter Flyer
21st Aug 2012, 15:03
snchater (http://www.pprune.org/members/39751-snchater)

As in my post above

Almost seems like a right of passage - Cheat death, then light up!!!

NazgulAir
21st Aug 2012, 15:10
After a mid-air the sensible action is to light a cigarette!
He clambered out, took a few paces, sat on the grassy mound that he had impacted a few seconds before, and lit up a cigarette (think he smoked the whole pack before help arrived.
Really clever... survive a crash, light a cigarette. Who knows, there may not be any spilled fuel to blow up where you throw the match.

I can understand the need to steady nerves and cope with all that adrenaline. But until you are in a safe area it isn't safe to light up.

Ballywalter Flyer
21st Aug 2012, 15:28
NazgulAir (http://www.pprune.org/members/332004-nazgulair)

And what if his Nomex flying suit was covered in Avgas?
But that was the kind of guy he is.
Though a brilliant stick n rudder pilot

Cusco
21st Aug 2012, 16:20
A school friend of mine did a Flying Scholarship at Marshalls Cambridge in the early 60s in Tiger Moths (some of which are still flying)

He was taught that if he had an engine failure , moments before hitting the hedge/brick wall or whatever on the ground, he should stand on the rudder to slew the a/c through 90 deg so the wing tip impacted first.

Progressive collapse would dissipate the energy of the impact and the a/c would stop before the brick wall reached him.

That photo looks like a pretty convincing demo of the progressive energy dissipation notion....

Cusco

18greens
21st Aug 2012, 21:19
Sound like he met the dapper qoutient with the cream flying suit. Cool as a cat.

And how fast was he going to bury half the aircraft in the ground.

If it was me I'd still be in the pub.

taybird
21st Aug 2012, 21:23
I had a friend who (after total engine failure) totalled a Cassutt Racer during a display (turned the aircraft into matchsticks).

I've seen the video, and the aeroplane in bits. His legs were covered in fuel, so he stuck them out and leaned back to light his cigarette. He was a trained fire officer so, really, it was his prerogative.

I know the guy, superb natural pilot, wonderful human being, albeit a bloody idiot.

As for the bad parking of a Tiger Moth, I don't know the full story but on the face of it, it's not very cool. That said, I see no reason not to have a drink or three if uninjured.

stickandrudderman
21st Aug 2012, 22:09
I can't believe that anyone would have the temerity to suggest that the gentleman concerned doesn't have every right to make his way to the nearest pub and celebrate life.:D:D:D:D

Genghis the Engineer
21st Aug 2012, 22:30
An acquaintance of mine totalled a rather expensive piece of military hardware on its first flight. By some miracle of luck and training, he and his co-pilot got out of it pretty much intact.

He tells the story that after the inevitable immediate debrief, he went to the station's flight surgeon and asked for a blood alcohol test...

"But nobody's suggesting you've been drinking"

"No, but by tomorrow they will, and by tomorrow they'll be right".

G

Unusual Attitude
22nd Aug 2012, 08:37
The left hand side appears to be OK

Injuries - None, the Cassut took all of the forces, leaving him unscathed

Sounds familiar, I believe I might just own that very Cassutt if the event took place in 1997. Much respect to him, I've always said its the one aircraft I really dont fancy having to do a forced landing in......:eek:

peterh337
22nd Aug 2012, 08:58
Perfectly airworthy. Would need a bit more left rudder than usual, perhaps.

Ballywalter Flyer
22nd Aug 2012, 11:16
Unusual Attitude (http://www.pprune.org/members/6375-unusual-attitude)

taybird (http://www.pprune.org/members/99078-taybird)

It would seem that we are talking about the same person, and aircraft. Yes, on the wet legs Taybird. Still at his 'altitude' his legs are a long way from his face. Both moved away from said home airfield, not sure what he is up to now. Flew a few aero's with him, and many a training fire (and drink in the club bar). Oh the tales I could tell.

Unusual Attitude, I have seen the rebuilt machine, she does look great now. I do remember said pilot having to somehow move the rudder pedals to accomodate his 'lofty' height. How to get a 7 footer (almost) into a Cassut without his feet being in the prop disc. I take it you had to shorten it.

There was talk about rebuilding it as their own design. They were going to call it the 'Colin'. Pleased that you got a hold of it

Unusual Attitude
22nd Aug 2012, 11:44
Bally,

Twas a chap with more skills than me that rebuilt her a few years back, he like me however was 6'3" ish so its probably the only Cassutt in the UK I can actually fit in.

Will be back on the display scene from next spring but limited to what I can do with her given that the LAA removed the Cassutts aerobatic clearance, still pretty nimble though so I have something entertaining worked out to make the best of her.....

Regards

UA

PS I have the old engine log book so I can see why the engine failed! Never knew an 0-200 could survive such revs! :ok:

taybird
22nd Aug 2012, 12:30
I don't think the Cassutt ever had aerobatic approval.

Colin was an entirely new design, albeit based on the Cassutt.

I was given to understand that a previous incident of being kept at the hold for an extended period had caused the engine to overheat earlier in the season. This may have caused the initial damage that ultimately resulted in a non-standard smoke system during the somewhat shortened display.

Anyhow, bit of thread drift there. I'm sure the linen-suited man has recovered from his adventure and will be in a position to finance a rebuild for what looked like a very pretty Moth. It would be a shame to see it go to waste.

Flaymy
22nd Aug 2012, 12:38
I learnt to fly before the widespread use of mobile phones. Recommendation for a precautionary forced landing was, if possible, to choose a field close to a pub.

BackPacker
22nd Aug 2012, 12:56
Recommendation for a precautionary forced landing was, if possible, to choose a field close to a pub.

Still taught in glider training. Size, shape, slope, surface, approach, livestock/crops, pub.

Of course, forced landings are a bit more common there. And it might take a few hours for your mate to arrive with the glider trailer, vs. only a few minutes for the local police/fire brigade in case of an emergency with a powered aircraft.

B2N2
22nd Aug 2012, 13:16
Totally off topic here but a friend of mine once landed in a field during a gliding competition.
He landed close to a farm house and being a fairly short 17 year old he didn't really look his age.
To his surprise he landed next to a brothel/stripclub/sexclub.
The girls took a liking to him and spoiled him rotten feeding him cookies and lemonade till his pick up crew arrived. Lucky b'stard....:suspect:

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Aug 2012, 13:49
Oh to have "chicken ranch" as the landing airfield in one's logbook!

G

Sir George Cayley
22nd Aug 2012, 20:46
There's one next to Kirkbride. Allegedly :sad:

Not that I've bin.

SGC

generalspecific
23rd Aug 2012, 01:48
flippin eck this A/C was in france a couple of weeks ago and we went for a ride in it.

Very bad luck, the guy was charming, excellent company and a very diligent and methodical pilot from what I could see.

Just goes to show how unforgiving of even the smallest mistakes our little hobby is

As for heading to the pub.. good on him.. far too much elf and safety in this day and age for my liking

:D

mad_jock
23rd Aug 2012, 05:42
its not the safety crowd you need to worry about unfortunately in the UK. Its some over zealouse pratt of a copper that see's an easy collar.

Even if eventually it works out that you don't get done it can be months and months of agro and large legal bills.

Personally I wouldn't......

generalspecific
23rd Aug 2012, 06:03
sadly you are probably right Mr Jock... one of the many reasons i don't live there any more

DeltaV
23rd Aug 2012, 06:08
Sir George Cayley

There's one next to Kirkbride. Allegedly
I think there's a difference between a chicken farm and a chicken ranch.

generalspecific
23rd Aug 2012, 06:12
it's all just birds wandering around in the certain knowledge that sooner or later they are going to end up stuffed :uhoh:

mad_jock
23rd Aug 2012, 06:43
No Delta V he is perfectly correct and using the correct context which doesn't involve anything KFC would sell.

I had it pointed out to me from the air years ago.

Dop
23rd Aug 2012, 11:15
Hardly surprising he was in the pub later. I forget which book it was which suggested that the ideal field in which to carry out a forced landing should be close to a road and have a pub in one corner.

Nobody hurt, and I hope the aircraft can be rebuilt, too.