PDA

View Full Version : gCap and Kindle

tmmorris
18th Aug 2012, 18:05
Anyone tried gCap plates on a Kindle?

Do they work? (i.e. is the text readable on the 600x800 screen)?

Tim

dirkdj
18th Aug 2012, 18:32
I haven't seen any approach plates on Kindle yet; I downloaded my POH for BE36 but I think it would be difficult to use in the air except in ideal conditions. Reason: as soon as you touch the screen the page turns. I have more than 40 titles on my Kindle so far and like it a lot as a reading machine, instantly text searchable, with built-in dictionaries.
I reformatted a few PDF files to A5 format to be more readable but unformatted A4 format is really too small to be useful.

tmmorris
18th Aug 2012, 20:22
You have the Kindle Touch, then? (Standard Kindle has buttons to turn pages instead.)

Tim

dirkdj
18th Aug 2012, 21:05
Yes, Kindle touch it is.

Flylogical
20th Aug 2012, 07:01
The Kindle device is a bit weak in cockpit for reasons stated by others. However, I find the Kindle app on Android and iOS to be an excellent addition to my cockpit kit as doc reader since it keeps track of where you are in the doc, and it accepts PDF.

I convert all relevant docs to PDF (even from apps that dont provide pdf output, I use bullzip pdf print driver in windows -- eg for tripkits from jeppview, met briefings checklists, and any other handy references). I can store locally "on device" within kindle app, so works fine when away from network connection e.g. in cockpit when flyi:Dng.