PDA

View Full Version : Go Around on Final Circling

Pugachev Cobra
10th Aug 2012, 02:57
Hello all...

I still haven't got to grips with this scenario...

If you're executing a circling procedure, and when you're finishing your turn to the final, you loose visual contact with the runway (i.e. visibility, fog, etc.) how do you carry your go around, since its course is 180 degrees on your tail?

Is there anything specific about this, different positions in circling maneuver, how to initiate the missed approach?

All I've heard is to begin your turn in the direction of the runway, since you're obstacle free there... But then what? In that worst scenario I've described, on final, where you're most certainly going on the wrong way of the missed approach, how one does that?

Do you blindly pull up and turn in the direction of the circling turn? Still that doesn't account to the fact that you're in TO/GA, and your turn radius will be far larger than your normal circling distance.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

de facto
10th Aug 2012, 05:21
Ok,if you circle for runway 01 ,which would mean the ifr procedure would runway 19 circle 01.
If you go around during circling( let say downwind) you will follow runway 19 standard missed approach.
If you go around once you descended below MDA(base turn or final) you would have to turn in the direction of your circling protected area(basically the downwind you came from) maintaining GA thrust and flaps 15 (737) speed until above MDA and join the missed approach procedure for the opposit runway(19).

Atc is not allowed to give you vectors when you are below MDA and you should not accept any.

Hope its clear:-)

Checkboard
10th Aug 2012, 11:32
...until above MDA and join the missed approach procedure for the opposit runway(19).
And fly head first into the next approaching aircraft? :hmm: :rolleyes: :=

Usually (ie unless another agreement with ATC has been given, for instance to avoid weather on the missed) you always fly the missed approach for the approach you have flown. You know - the one printed on the chart in front of you!

If you began the circling to an opposite direction runway (as in the above 19/circle 01 example):
Missed approach flying in the "19" direction - simply follow the chart.
Missed approach on downwind while circling - turn towards the runway (as the ground between you and the runway is safe (that's why you are circling there) and pick up the missed approach track for the approach you just flew.
Missed approach from base/final (my, you ARE having a bad day) you turn towards the runway whilst climbing, and keeping your speed and flap at the circling setting, fly upwind (over the runway) then turn to the circling side for a 225º turn to pick up the missed approach track for the approach you just flew (the runway 19 approach, in this case)

de facto
10th Aug 2012, 14:27
And fly head first into the next approaching aircraft

I wrote if you have turn final 01 and below MDA ,you would turn into circling area and fly the published missed for runway 19.

Please read my post again before :rolleyes: at me:E
Missed approach on downwind while circling - turn towards the runway (as the ground between you and the runway is safe (that's why you are circling there) and pick up the missed approach track for the approach you just flew.
Exactly what i wrote.
So instrument approach runway 19 ,circle 01, you need always to fly the missed of the instrument approach.

Checkboard
10th Aug 2012, 15:01
ooops :O My apologies :)

I actually had "01" in my head as the original approach - wrote the bit, then read again, and changed the runway ID in my explanation but not the admonition. I AM sorry.

de facto
10th Aug 2012, 15:16
Hence briefing quite important before circling:ok:

Checkboard
10th Aug 2012, 16:17
It was the "opposite runway" which threw me :)

Hope its clear:-)

Hence the importance of clear briefings ;)

de facto
11th Aug 2012, 03:46
Fully agree.:8

A Comfy Chair
11th Aug 2012, 08:20
Do you blindly pull up and turn in the direction of the circling turn? Still that doesn't account to the fact that you're in TO/GA, and your turn radius will be far larger than your normal circling distance.

Your turn radius won't change if you keep the speed back...

flying apple
11th Aug 2012, 09:55
maintaining GA thrust and flaps 15 (737) speed until above MDA

don't you get a gpws warning if you fly with gear up flaps15?
i remember something about it, but i'm not 100% sure

Checkboard
11th Aug 2012, 10:57
On the 737 - only if the thrust lever angle is below a limit (around half travel).

(From memory! - I don't fly it any more.)

A4
12th Aug 2012, 13:47
Not the same everywhere.....

From Jepp ATC Manual for Netherlands:

Missed Approach while Circling

In case of missed approach while circling (and in case of side-step or break-off to any other runway) at Amsterdam (Schiphol), Eindhoven, Groningen (Eelde), Maastricht or Rotterdam airports execute missed approach as follows: – inform ATC; – turn to the intended landing runway and intercept runway track of that runway while climbing to 2000ft. (my bold/emphasis)

Again, it reiterates the importance of briefing - not only what you're going to do but HOW you're going to do it. A missed approach from circling is a highly dynamic environment - no time to get into a discussion with your oppo as to what you think you should be doing.

A4

skyhigher
12th Aug 2012, 17:34
ATC may also specify a special go around procedure due to traffic or other issues. Today during a circling approach in europe ATC specified to climb straight ahead to a specific aid and maintain 4000'.

As many have said above the go around is challenging from a circle to land, and can take several forms.

I had no idea circle to land missed approachs in Holland had the above requirement. Good to know.