PDA

View Full Version : PPL at 2 different schools?

adamchivers
9th Aug 2012, 10:50
Hi everyone,

I am looking at joining the UAS whilst i am in university as they offer 10 hours free flying a year towards your PPL. But i was wondering if it is possible to use the hours that i already have achieved at a West Midlands flying school, go on my annual flying week with the UAS and achieve 10 more hours of flying, and then go back to my flying school and pick up where i learnt up to on my annual camp?

I hope that makes sense!
Thanks,
Adam.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Aug 2012, 11:17
When I was in the UAS a lot of years ago, you flew the UAS syllabus regardless - but the hours I got certainly went towards my eventual JAR-PPL(SEP).

However UAS now I believe is far more about the officer / adventurous training aspects, and I suspect that they're rather more flexible over how the flying hours are used.

But, they're paying for the flying, so they decide what you do, or don't do with the hours!

G

mad_jock
9th Aug 2012, 11:24
you can only use 10 hours from an outside the system FI.

If the UAS instructors are also JAR FI rated you may use some of the hours currently. After EASA comes in I don't think it will be allowed unless the UAS is flying under a FTO.

To be honest f you trying to get into the UAS to only get free flying towards your PPL you won't have much success getting in.

Also have a look at the airleague and GAPAN they do scholoships.

BEagle
9th Aug 2012, 11:59
Until the madness of EASA is sorted out, I suggest that you consider the NPPL(SSEA) as an option.

All NPPL credits available to UAS pilots remain in place. See http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/PDFs/NPPL%20XC%20REV%2009.pdf page 5 / 23 or CAP 804 p 727 / 794. Once you have an NPPL (SSEA), you will be able to convert it to a LAPL(A) before 8 Apr 2015.

Once you have a LAPL(A), you will be 'in the EASA system' and able to convert it to a part-FCL PPL(A) under the terms stated in CAP 804 - the same as for any other LAPL(A) holder.

This convoluted process is necessary due to the inferior levels of military accreditiation now offered for direct application for part-FCL pilot licenses than were available hitherto.

A pity that UAS flying is now so sparse. I note that in my first UAS year I gained 39 hours, to add to 35 achieved on an RAF Scholarship and another 7 I'd managed to scraped up enough money to pay for before joining the UAS.