PDA

View Full Version : Flying into R112- planning advice

hingey
9th Aug 2012, 08:44
So the time has come to bite the bullet and fly into R112 tomorrow. Going into Andreswfield, inbound from the West is a trip I've done several times before. Normally I would route through the Benson matz and under the London TMA, however with barely 2 nm between the edge of the southern stub and the boundary of R112, I doubt I will have time to transfer from Benson to Atlas for clearance into the zone.

However according to the Olympic Airspace Guide, "Aircraft under the the control of an ATSU prior to entry or R112 may be asked for their approval code by that unit and be transferred directly to Atlas Control." Does anyone have experience doing exactly this or something similar? I don't want to rock up, get a matz clearance then told to freecall Atlas between the matz and R112.

Thanks in advance,

h

monacam44
9th Aug 2012, 09:05
Had this last week. When you speak to Benson for a MATZ penetration and tell them your intentions and destination, they will, in due course, give you your Atlas squark before handing you over to Atlas. The will probably pass you on before you leave their MATZ. Then you won't get shot down....

hingey
9th Aug 2012, 09:26
Thanks monacam. Not getting shot down is a priority for me.

h

stickandrudderman
9th Aug 2012, 17:43
Benson is closed at the weekends.
Last weekend I had to orbit over Benson until I could get Atlas control to take me.