PDA

View Full Version : iPad magazines...almost

IanPZ
30th Jul 2012, 21:32
So, it's rare that I winge on this forum, but it's time for one now. I subscribe to pilot magazine (yeah, I know some of you don't like it) and wanted to start reading it electronically, especially old issues.

How chuffed was I when I read that if you subscribe, then you have digital access to the archive of about three years.

Well. Digital access, perhaps say "almost digital access"

It goes like this. If you subscribe, then you can log in via the Internet, through the archant website, enter your subscription details, and then get redirected to pagesuites website, where you can view online all the archive material, and print them off as PDF. Couldn't be better, could it?

Well, it could. I have an iPad, just got it, and I thought, how cool if I can just add it to my newsstand. No, no go, not a chance.

If you try to, then you're asked for a username and password. A quick email to pilot, and the response I got was effectively "sorry, we know you subscribe and pay already, but if you want the iPad version, you have to pay again"

But you can read it online, you can read the paper version, you can print it as a PDF...in fact, the only thing you can't do is download it to your iPad without paying again.

And I think that stinks!

What do you think? Surely if you advertise it that way, you should allow it. How can you have a full page advert showing iPad as an option, state that you are entitled to the digital version, and then so. "oh no, not THAT digital version, only this one"

Rant over...

IPZ

foxmoth
30th Jul 2012, 21:56
Get Loop, not only is it free, but they actually make very good use of it as a digital mag, having embedded videos and extra material that is accessed by rotating the iPad.

Prop swinger
30th Jul 2012, 22:06
Don't Newsstand subs have to go through Apple, with Apple kicking 70% back to the publisher? I don't think there's any sensible way for a publisher to retroactively add a printed magazine customer as a Newsstand subscriber.

fattony
30th Jul 2012, 23:27
Print them to PDF files and then you can read them in iBooks. Not as slick as if they used Newsstand but at least you'll be able to read them offline.

Redbird72
31st Jul 2012, 09:11
I just subscribed on the iPad, called up the Pilot subscription team and asked them to cancel the rest of my paper subscription. Had the refund cheque within a week.

If you don't want to cancel the paper version & have it on pdf, open it on the app Good Reader.:ok:

Anywings
31st Jul 2012, 11:23
Hi Ian

I've consulted our tech gurus who say that if you subscribe to the paper version you don't have to get the app for the iPad, you can view and download the issues on it in exactly the same way as you can access them online on your computer or laptop.

If you open them up on the iPad's web browser you can view and download issues (in pdf format) and still have access to the full archive as well. The viewing experience is very similar to the app. As Prop Swinger said, because it goes through Apple it’s very hard to retrospectively add our print subscribers to the app version which is why we haven’t done it yet, but we are looking into it.

Hope that helps,

Nick W

IanPZ
3rd Aug 2012, 23:00
Firstly, thanks for all the replies, and particularly Nick, who I suspect is from the magazine. Sorry it took so long to reply, but hey, that's life sometimes, other stuff comes up.

The reason that I was so surprised that newsstand version of pilot was not available is because all the other magazines I subscribe to (2x sailing, 1x motorbike) automatically allowed me to get it via the iPad app without needing to pay any more. So, Nick, thanks very much for taking the time to come back to me, and can I suggest you have a chat with someone from IPC media as they seem to have tied things up no problem (although they may pay for it!)

As for the suggestion of downloading the PDFs and reading it that way. Yes, I can do that, but one of the nice things is the way newsstand tells you when the new issue is in, etc.dont fancy always having to go to the web site, download, store, open etc. just a bit messy.

And finally, foxmoth, OMG thanks. I have just downloaded LOOP, and not only is it a fun read, but what a brilliant alternative use of an electronic tablet as a magazine. I love the eclectic mix of ways to deliver it, the embedded video, the way it scrolls, everything....that will keep me busy for many an hour. Thanks!!!

IPZ