View Full Version : Time off from line training. Advice on how to utilize time?

WhySoTough
28th Jul 2012, 02:52
Hey all,

So due to several reasons, my airline have put me and some others on hold from line training.
Though this is a bad thing as it is important for us to be consistent, especially at this stage, this matter is not in our hands.
Seems like it will be quiet a while till we get started again.
Although this is very demotivating, I've been slacking a bit lately, and ive flewn back to my home country.
Studying the manuals over and over again, forgetting a lot of it, studying a lot of things that I'm not practically doing, makes it even harder, especially that I'm not getting to fly.

What is the best way to utilize this time?
I can be jump seating as well, but in my experience(what little I have so far), sitting m the RHS is completely different, and far more useful.
I plan on jump seating a few flights before line training resumes nevertheless.

Any advice is welcome. :O

FE Hoppy
28th Jul 2012, 05:50
You should be on the jump seat every day. You can still read the books.

DutchOne
28th Jul 2012, 06:01
I agree. TRE to have a few jumps a week at least. It will keep you motivated to study and it allows you discussing topics with the pilots and observe company SOPs.

You can learn a lot from the backseat.

Good luck

Microburst2002
28th Jul 2012, 06:14
And it woulb be a sign of a good attitude, that should not go unnoticed.

Do a few jumpseats. Staying away from a cockpit will get rusty even to a 10,000 hour pilot. Dont let too much time elapse without being in one.

WhySoTough
28th Jul 2012, 10:45
Thanks for the response guys.
Was honestly getting a little lazy as my hometown is quiet far from work, but I'll definitely go back in a few days and start jump seating.
Better than wasting time anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

Potsie Weber
29th Jul 2012, 02:33
Were you given a set of instrument panel cutouts? Great for practicing pre-flight and in-flight procedures. Never under estimate how important these basic procedures are to have burned into memory. It will free up so much head space for everything else during line training. It also makes a good first impression for your training Captain when you can straight up; confidently and timely complete your procedures.

A while back during type conversion, I had cutouts stuck on the side of my garage wall. With a hot summer, I would sit out there, garage door open, practicing procedures. My neighbours thought I had gone bonkers when they saw me out there, seated, facing the wall, poking my fingers at the wall and mumbling to myself!

framer
29th Jul 2012, 03:11
It may not work for you as you may have a different learning style but I would write out all the basic Procedures in my own plain English and then learn that. I find by cutting out all the extra information that the manual has and breaking it down to the actual actions I'll take ,makes it much clearer to me and easier to commit to memory.
I would do the same with the airports information I was going to jumpseat to, basic summary of procedures and frequencies etc.
I would work six on one off while on the break and those six would be three jump seating and three studying at a local library where it's nice and quiet.
Hope that helps.

Dan Winterland
29th Jul 2012, 05:05
ID travel to somewhere with a beach.

de facto
29th Jul 2012, 07:33
Buy a pair of comfortable running shoes.

flyhardmo
1st Aug 2012, 13:37
ID travel to somewhere with a beach.:D

Exactly. Once Your on the line, you will most likely work your A$$ off with min rest. Enjoy the time off while you get it.

Mister Warning
1st Aug 2012, 17:15
Surf, or if you can't surf, learn how to surf.
Then surf.

fantom
1st Aug 2012, 17:45
Read the books then, when you have done that, read the books again.

FE Hoppy
1st Aug 2012, 23:21
The assumption that your job will be waiting for you after your ID funded surfing tour is rather outdated. Gardening leave is a thing of the distant past for all but the most heavily subsidised airlines.