PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL course, where to go!?

ayebmi
26th Jul 2012, 11:35
Dear all,

I am looking to do my (JAA) PPL, I've been looking at a few options and one that seems quite appealing is EASA in Florida, does anybody have any comments on this school or reconmendations for where to do a JAA PPL in good weather conditions??

Thanks

dodos9
27th Jul 2012, 14:33
Hi. At first EASA seemed to appeal to me too, mostly cause of their prices. However, I knew there must something wrong there and it was then when I realised that many of the costs were indeed hidden and were not included in their listed price, while in other school's prices these things were actually included (making the price higher on the price list, however everything was included while in EASA's price list the price was low, but certain necessary things were not included). Furthermore, I have realised that many people have had a negative experience with them and they did not recommend it all. Just to make sure you understand, personally, I have never had anything to do with this school and actually I doubt I will because of the negative aspects I have read in numerous threads.

But your question was indeed 'which school to go to?' and not 'is EASA the school to go?', therefore I will point you towards the school that I believe could be a good school to go to - European Flight Training (EFT) in Florida. This school seems to have many good recommendations (not just on pprune) and I couldn't find negative aspects that would put me off (of course there were some, but as with every single company,there will be at least one person who doesn't like it; as long as the majority seems to be happy with it, then the company seems to be doing the right thing). Their listed prices are higher than the EASA's ones, however if you look closer at what is included, you will get to the point where it seems to be worth it. Again, as with EASA I had no experience with EFT - yet. I am saying 'yet' because this is the school were I decided (and decision making is not easy as you surely know since you are asking for some help and advice) to do my JAA PPL next year. I have considered many things and compared it with other schools, so if you want me to give you a better, more detailed reasons why I think this school deserves at least some consideration, simply send me a private message.

Hope this helps :ok:

dodos9

jkveenstra
27th Jul 2012, 19:52
Go to the US for the right reasons, not primarily for the cheap rates.

Here is my story. I did my training in San Diego. I had a great time and was content about the FTO. In the end I spend more than I anticipated. Not because the advertised price was higher of the FTO, but because all the additional costs added up. I had to pay for the flight to San Diego (apprx. 500€ at that time), the sevis fee (silly fee for foreigners who want to study in the US), the visa costs and the tsa fee. All stuff you don't need if you train in Europe (except for the air line ticket, Burt it will be cheaper). In the end I did not finish the course in the 5 weeks I anticipated and decided to come back after a few months (another airline ticket of €500).

Despite the extra cost, I enjoyed the training every single hour and wouldn't have wanted to miss it for the world. Being in the us was a great experience.
Back in the Netherlands, I wanted to start flying at the local aero club (where I still fly ) and discovered that flying in the Netherlands (and europe) was a different ordeal. Maps, RT, airspace are different. I'm very cautious in my behavior as a pilot and had to become confident to fly in the Netherlands. Fortunately I have a couple of friends who fly in the airline business, and I learned (and still am) quiet a lot from them, when flying together. Be prepared to get acquainted of flying in your country. This takes some time (and flying hours).

I fly now for over two years and discovered several other roads to do your ppl for a reasonable amount of money ( probably not in the uk or the netherlands ), which I didn't know of before. I you want to advertise here, but If you want to know some options, PM me.

Therefore go to the US for the right reasons. If you want to finish quickly and fly in beautiful weather and want a great experience of training in the US, go there. If you only want to do it for the lower price, there are also options in Europe to consider.

Only my opinion though...

mad_jock
27th Jul 2012, 20:13
First a few questions I know boring!!

Where are you intending to use the license?

What are you going to be using it for?

And can you put up with utter dickheads and keep your sense of humour if you fall foul of an arrogant arsehole?