PDA

View Full Version : General aviation report on iPad

nouseforaname
24th Jul 2012, 19:50
Port authorities seem to use email as most common form of GAR submittal now. Where many of us are quite often on the move does anyone know a way you can file a GAR using an iPad.? Is there any apps or nav apps that cover this.?

If an app designer reads this im sure it would attract plenty customers here!

rans6andrew
24th Jul 2012, 20:18
I had the answer to this one emailed to me yesterday. Download a copy of the GAR form, there are several websites with one (Gloucester Staverton?) onto your ipad. Get yourself an app to edit .pdf files, there is one for ipad. Edit the empty form with all of the stuff that relates to your aircraft and yourself so that when abroad your only need to enter the minimum info, time, date and port of entry ie the stuff that will always be the same.

Don't forget to look up all of the email addresses for the police, customs and excise etc. and save them on your pad.

I want to do the same but on a Winders netbook, thread on pprune already asking about pdf editors for PC.

Rans6......

toptobottom
24th Jul 2012, 20:19
Is there any apps...

Good grief...

riverrock83
24th Jul 2012, 22:47
I believe you will soon be able to submit them online:
http://www.aopa.co.uk/Gar6/

There is a holding page for future apps here:
http://www.goav8.net/

The rumours from the "other forum" are that approval for the android app, and the rest of the system is nearly there but the government moves in mysterious ways (in unknown timescales)...

iPhone app is being developed but not there yet.

maxred
25th Jul 2012, 15:56
And the winner of the X factor final, is......(are).......New Dimension:\

peterh337
25th Jul 2012, 16:31
The short answer is to use a computer, not an Ipad :E

With a nice lightweight laptop running windows, you can do anything you want, instead of tearing your hair out :)

stevelup
26th Jul 2012, 06:16
If filling out a GAR form on an iPad causes someone to pull their hair out, they have got bigger problems to worry about... Presumably going to the toilet unassisted would also present a challenge!

nouseforaname
26th Jul 2012, 08:56
rans6andrew thanks very much for your help that works for a quick submittal.

Cheers.

johnthorpe
10th Aug 2012, 19:24
Just a quick note to say I followed the guidelines given above by rans6andrew and they work very well.
step 1. Downloaded Adobe free app for IPad which allows Pdf annotation.
Step 2. Downloaded GAR from customs.Hmrc.Gov.uk
Step 3. Load to Adobe.
Step 4. Annotate the GAR with text.
Step 5. Send as email to Agencies using Adobe facility..

Also I quick note for all you iPad users Safari will not allow you to submit to NATS online FlightPlan Registration system and there is no download to facilitate. So I am upgrading my Skydemon to include Flight Plan.
I am aware that with remote desktop application there exists a solution however my iPad is my only computer.
Hope some found that useful John