PDA

View Full Version : losing your logbook

regional guy
3rd Apr 2002, 23:37
Hi!

I already posted this on the "wannabe" forum, but I thought I might get more replies here. :D Sorry for the double post though...

I was sitting around discussing what a pilot would have to do if he lost his logbook, and I thought I'd check and see what you all think about this.
Imagine a pilot that keeps 1 written logbook where he, obviously, logs every single flight. Our pilot also keeps an electronic version, but he only keeps track of total time, PIC time, SE time, ME time etc. No individual flights. If he lost his written logbook, could he legally buy a new 'paper' logbook, and just transfer the hours from the electronic one, and start over? Could he create a statement 'swearing' that the hours are correct, and signing it?
This is assuming there is no way of going back and checking every single flight. Oh, and this is in regards to FAA policy...

I hope that question made sense!??!

411A
4th Apr 2002, 01:50
The pilot in question should contact the instructor/check airman who completed the last BFR/IPC and have it re-recorded in a new log. Then wiz out and do three landings (at night best)...and presto...current again.
An even better idea...don't lose it in the first place.
And as for loosing aircraft logs....ugh, big problem. A photo-copied set is a good idea. I think you will find that the FAA is quite understanding....these things do happen from time to time.

regional guy
4th Apr 2002, 02:18
411A:

Thanks :) So, that takes care of the currency question, now what about the previous experience that our pilot had built up? can he use the electronic logbook, and just carry those hours over to a new logbook?

'%MAC'
4th Apr 2002, 04:17
Yes, you absolutely can use the electronic totals in reconstructing your logbook. You will strengthen your argument by using all available information. This would include your latest 8710 from your last checkride (if you filled in the bottom portion), and also on your medical. The medical requests total time and time flown within last 6 months, these are kept for 3 years, whereas the 8710s are retained forever. With this information I would bring it to a local/ district judge, FAA inspector or lastly a notary public and have your documentation confirmed / notarized in your new logbook. If you already fly for your carrier of choice, I wouldn’t go through the trouble. When you lose your logbook it is no fun, but you certainly don’t lose your flight time. It is not the same as loosing your wallet and cash.

[Edited for spelling, modifiers, conjunctions, grammer, clarity - not edited enough]

regional guy
4th Apr 2002, 15:26
%MAC:

Thank you. That was pretty much the answer I came up with too, although I've heard different oppinions regarding FAA's view on this. I guess getting it notarized would be a good idea.
:D Thank you!