PDA

View Full Version : Comper Swift..G-ECTF (Naked)

Tupperware Pilot
22nd Jul 2012, 06:44
...i have also posted this in the historic thread, but I think it also fits here. And you guys should appreciate the workmanship.

After 12 years of hard work Phil Cozens Replica Comper Swift is now only a year away from flying (we hope).
She came out of the workshop yesterday (thanks to the weather), for a test rigging. And went together very well.
Loads of photos here...
Phils Comper Swift. - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tupperware_pilot/sets/72157630690242988/)

BEagle
22nd Jul 2012, 07:37
Superb is barely sufficient to describe this project! The standard of workmanship is amazing - hopefully the aircraft will be in the skies before too long.

Tupperware Pilot
22nd Jul 2012, 07:59
Superb is barely sufficient to describe this project! The standard of workmanship is amazing - hopefully the aircraft will be in the skies before too long.
You're right...I will tell Phil...it almost a shame to cover over all that work....but there is hope to have her flying in the next 12 months!

foxmoth
22nd Jul 2012, 09:44
Looks good, surprised to see the flying surfaces all attached here though, thought the normal thing was to cover them first, but I suppose a trial run lets you correct problems while it is easy to get to everything.:ok:

A and C
22nd Jul 2012, 10:57
It is always wise to fully assemble aircraft before you cover them as some thing always needs adjustment or is forgotten, that way you don't have to re-fabric when you discover your error.

I can only take my hat off to the builders, the aircraft looks superbe !

500 above
22nd Jul 2012, 11:39
If only old Joe Austin (PFA inspector, Comper restorer) was around to see this! Jez looks like a Cheshire cat!

Tupperware Pilot
22nd Jul 2012, 18:44
Jez looks like a Cheshire cat!
He always does...big Ta$t!

Jan Olieslagers
22nd Jul 2012, 19:14
Is that engine a Pobjoy? According to en.wikipedia it could well be, but that looks like major overkill on a single seater?

Tupperware Pilot
22nd Jul 2012, 19:41
Is that engine a Pobjoy? According to en.wikipedia it could well be, but that looks like major overkill on a single seater?
Yes it is a Pobjoy.......not overkill, not as this was designed to be a racer, this is only 80hp.

POBJOY
22nd Jul 2012, 22:53
WOW What a beauty,the Pobjoy is the best engine for the Swift as the power to weight ratio suits its size, and makes for superb handling.

A and C
23rd Jul 2012, 06:08
Interestingly the ABC motorcycle company was part of the same group of companys a Pobjoy and used two of the same cylinders as fitted to the radial on a horizontaly opposed two cylinder motorcycle.

It flies
23rd Jul 2012, 07:26
Beautiful work.

It looks like a simple little aeroplane but I once read an article on the design. It has a plethora of complicated metal brackets that take a lot of work to manufacture. It takes a very determined man to replicate a Swift from scratch.

Tupperware Pilot
23rd Jul 2012, 07:31
It looks like a simple little aeroplane but I once read an article on the design. It has a plethora of complicated metal brackets that take a lot of work to manufacture. It takes a very determined man to replicate a Swift from scratch.
It sure does take a determined man... I won't repeet what the builder has caller the desiger! :mad:

stickandrudderman
23rd Jul 2012, 08:38
I've spent the last couple of years refurbishing/overhauling a Falco.
I have a new level of admiration for anyone who spends years of their life toiling away making everything from scratch and this Swift looks like another example of fine craftmanship.
If anyone's interested in more wooden aircraft construction pics there's a dedicated Falco forum here:
South Pacific Falco • Index page (http://spff.no-ip.org/phpBB3/index.php?sid=d52a35f087e18bc2d7c456bed14091e9)

Tupperware Pilot
14th Jul 2013, 17:43
Update...2013..
....well its been a year since we first got to look at Phil's work, and now a year on we got another look.
The wings are covered and ready for dope and Paint. Engine is finished and ready to go back on the airframe and be run!!! (should be a fun day!)
Some photos from today are here!
Cheers
Damien
Swift 2013 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tupperware_pilot/sets/72157634639527276/)

rgsaero
14th Jul 2013, 20:48
Wonderful, and an amazing piece of work.

HOWEVER, what I would really like to know is why an original version, ie a genuine Swift hasn't come out of the barn into which POBJOY, our co-forumite consigned it to about 30 (more or less??) years ago!

Surely someone would take that on as a rebuild?

POBJOY
15th Jul 2013, 00:14
See you at Kenley 2014 !

dont overfil
15th Jul 2013, 09:40
There was a Comper Swift being displayed at Breighton yesterday.

First time I've seen one flying. What a lovely smooth sounding engine.

D.O.

astir 8
15th Jul 2013, 13:07
So he's finished the model. When is he going to build a full sized one? :ok::O

Lovely work

dubbleyew eight
16th Jul 2013, 16:54
the only thing that stops more comper swift's being built is the almost complete lack of pobjoy engines.

stickandrudderman
16th Jul 2013, 17:28
Although this looks like (or even is) a hijack, anyone who likes wooden aeroplanes should take a look at the link I posted in post 14. The workmanship is quite stunning.

gaxan
17th Jul 2013, 07:57
I have the artwork for the comper logos if required. PM me

dubbleyew eight
17th Jul 2013, 14:00
somewhere in cyberspace I found a web site by comper's descendants.
in there is a letter mentioning that Comper was having a lot of problems with flutter in the Swift.
I have Paul the scotsman's CD of Comper Swift plans (I'm sure he is one of the early posters) if you study the wing with modern aerodynamics knowledge you see that the wing spar arrangement is exactly wrong in flutter terms.
the front spar is more flexible than the aft spar which was beefed up to take the hinge loads. wrong approach. the aft spar needs to be more flexible among other things.
while these restorations are wonderful they are reproducing a 1930's aeroplane with some limitations in terms of the aerodynamics.

I would encourage the test flights to carefully check Vne and Vd for the flutter problems that are not too far away.

having given the warning, the CLA7 swift is one of my favourite aeroplanes.

Tupperware Pilot
8th Nov 2013, 15:36
........everything is now covered and the fuse has had the white painted on, the red will be going on tonight!
Swift 2013 - a set on Flickr

@theflyinggopro

Lone_Ranger
8th Nov 2013, 18:16
Beautifull, Phil should be very proud