PDA

View Full Version : How to reactivate my US-PPL?

Takeoff53
16th Jul 2012, 22:35
Any US CFI or examiner around who could answer my questions?

Now I'm out of the airline business but I would like to get back on a little recreational flying. I hold a US Commercial SEL but the last flight, based on the US certificate and in a single engine, was around the year 2000 and I did not renew my US-medical and no BFR was taken since then.

The goal is to get my US-PPL back to activ status. What do I have to do now? Of course, some training is needed (aircraft and the books) but what are the legal requirements? Is it just the medical and a BFR or do I have to go for a complete PPL? Is it a must to qualify on the level commercial pilot SEL or can I "downgrade" to PPL? And how about the instrument rating (which is not needed for my future flying)?

Thanks in advance

MarcK
16th Jul 2012, 23:32
3rd class medical and a Flight Review (formerly called a BFR). That's all. An Instrument Proficiency Check to make IFR legal. Your commercial license does not expire.

Takeoff53
17th Jul 2012, 08:40
Thanks, good news. It was not clear to me anymore, that the CPL/PPL will not expire.
For the medical I will go here in Europe. However, it will be more expensive. I was holder of a 1class JAR medical until mid of last year, but you never know what the doctor will find...
For the training I expect at least 10 hours to get back into one man operation, even after more then 1000 hours in singles. And, of course, I want to check out in a glass cockpit C172 or something similar. At least there I will not downgrade from my EMB145...
Any recommendations for a flight school offering such airplanes on the west coast, LA area is prefered?

dublinpilot
17th Jul 2012, 08:52
On potential gotcha. You give your location as central Europe. If this is where you intend to use the airmanship cert then you'll need English Language Proficency endorsed on the cert to be legal. Thankfully this is only an administrative issue. You can apply online to get a new one issued and all new ones have the ELP endorsed on it. Use the opportunity to update your address if necessary.

Takeoff53
17th Jul 2012, 09:51
@dublinpilot
Thanks for the hint. Central Europe means Switzerland...
I only want to use the US-PPL in the US itself. Flying in Europe is not planned.
I have "English Proficency" for my now slowly expiring European ATPL but this will, in my piont of view, not be relevant to regain the US-PPL(?).

Clearedils
19th Jul 2012, 07:29
Also make sure you hold a plastic credit card style FAA license with english proficient on it and that the FAA holds your latest address details.
You can register online to keep all this up to date.
FAA license never expires, just privileges.

fernytickles
19th Jul 2012, 11:45
For the medical I will go here in Europe. However, it will be more expensive. I was holder of a 1class JAR medical until mid of last year, but you never know what the doctor will find

If you have any doubts at all about your medical (hopefully not), go to your regular doctor first for a full check up, then decide whether to go to an AME for a medical. If the medical becomes an issue, take a look at Sport Pilot licence - no medical required, just the flight review & a driver's licence. And talk with AOPA about it - they are excellent for advice on anything like this.

If you have been refused a medical, getting it back may take mountains of work. If you have not been refused a medical, but choose not to take one, then you can fly on the Light Sport licence.