PDA

View Full Version : Aware airspace depiction

rans6andrew
14th Jul 2012, 14:25
I just looked into the latest Aware airspace to see what impact the "sportsday" is having around these parts. For some reason the powers that inflict upon us didn't see fit to include the free map for those of us that purchased the 250k scale charts for southern England.

One thing that struck me straight away is that the proximity warnings on some airfields are odd. Take Headcorn, for instance, it has two green circles representing it's airspace. The outer circle neatly overlays the normal dotted circle around the airfield but the inner one, the same diameter as the solid, thin line circle shown on the screen chart, is offset from it, ie it's centre is not coincident with the centre of the outer circle. I have the 250k mapping on my Aware.

So, I looked at my real paper copies of the chart. The 500k southern England (2011 edition) chart has the outer dotted and inner solid circles offset in the east-west direction, the 250k England south (2012 edition) has the outer dotted and inner solid circles offset north-south but to a lesser degree. Very strange.

I also see that the pan handles for Benson MATZ are not shown when just looking at the Aware though memory tells me that the Aware does give the correct warnings when flying towards the MATZ.

mmmmm.

Rans6....

patowalker
14th Jul 2012, 15:14
If you feel so inclined, you can check Aware against this
Headcorn Aerodrome in Kent - EGKH Olympic Airspace Restrictions 2012 (http://www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk/London_2012_Olympic_Airspace_Restrictions_DfT.html)