PDA

View Full Version : Which gives higher pitch? Slats or flaps fail? (330)

Charlie123
14th Jul 2012, 13:06
Hi,

Sorry new here, this question might have come up already but couldn't find it in the search.

I was discussing this with fellow students. Which gives the higher pitch on approach? Slats fail or flaps fail?

I'm on team flaps but some of my mates think slats?? They managed to get me confused.

Any answers?

el commandante
15th Jul 2012, 03:37
Seriously?

My bet is that you don't fly the 330. But it's like with any other aircraft. Just think about the wing chord line, slats bend in down towards the leading edge and flaps obviously the other way. So if you are in level flight and extend the slats only the pitch will increase quite drastically. When you the extend the flaps pitch reduces at about 5 degrees.
Take a look at the CRJ, it comes in with a nose down attitude because of the missing slats.
So to answer you question, flaps fail would give you a very high pitch attitude.

hvogt
15th Jul 2012, 10:34
In the ATPL textbooks there are usually figures showing how the CL/alpha graph is affected by slats and flaps. A look at these will also answer your question.

Forgive me for not giving you a direct answer, but I think a look a the figures will help you ten times more.