PDA

View Full Version : PA-22 Tripacer

reeves172
14th Jul 2012, 08:08
As I hurtle towards my mid forties, I suspect this is a mid life crisis kicking in, I have started to think about aircraft ownership, probably through a group or forming one myself.

I have always thought that I would like to own a "head turner" but something still practical for transporting the family etc.

The aircraft that seems to fit that bill is the PA22 Tripacer.

Does anyone have a view on this and further more does anyone know of one that I could have a fly in, either club or a kindly owner who would take me for a spin in one, not literally of course.

Many thanks

Reeves

Unusual Attitude
14th Jul 2012, 09:49
I own a share in the oldest flying Tri Pacer in the UK, G-APXU which was built in 1952 and is currently based at Perth, Scone.

She was totally restored a few years ago and is in great condition but like any old aircraft has her occasional snags here and there.

The Tri Pacer is a lovely aircraft to fly, somewhat like a C172 but a bit more responsive in roll and not quite as fast. Easy to fly with the only vice being that if you let her get too slow on the approach she can build up one heck of a sink rate which has caught a few people out over the years.

Some great quirks however such as the trim handle in the roof, the Johnson-Bar braking system and of course the interlinked rudder and ailerons, all of which take a bit of getting used to but thats part of the fun!

Happy to take you for a spin in her if you ever find yourself up our way?

Regards

UA

tacpot
14th Jul 2012, 11:16
As a practical proposition for touring the Tri-pacer takes some beating.

I have a share in a PA22-150. It cruises at 100Kts at 30l/hr, will lift full fuel and three adults and take them more than 250nm from their starting point (with reserves).

The undercarriage is rugged and copes happily with rough strips. They can be well equipped.

But it's not a practical proposition for touring with four adults. To lift four adults you will need to reduce the amount of fuel on board to the point where a bimble about in the local area is all that can be achieved.

As a 'head turner', well, the heads won't turn very fast, but people are interested in Tripacers, if only for their slightly quirky looks. They do get people talking. I visited Defford recently and met someone who had jumped out of a Tripacer (with a parachute) - Tripacers are certified to fly without the rear door for parachuting!

UA has outlined all the quirks. The rest is all brilliant!

Pilot DAR
14th Jul 2012, 11:29
As mentioned, Tripacers are great planes in general. As long as you remind yourself of the vintage of aircraft you are contemplating, and the added maintenance which can be associated with rag and tube construction.

Be weary of "deals" on these aircraft (by class, not just Tripacers), if they have been poorly maintained, you could have a big bill to repair. Though well in history now, I do recall a rather intrusive AD on a cluster weld joint on the left cockpit side, quite a bit of work to comply, though should have long ago been done.

As with any older aircraft, wiring can be iffy. poor condition of original wiring, additions over the years, and wires ending no where from old radios removed can combine to be a bit of a mess.

A competent independent pre purchase inspection is well worth your money....

OwnNav
14th Jul 2012, 11:33
I owned a Tri-Pacer (flying milk stool) for many happy years, great for touring and visiting short strips. I had the rudder/aileron link removed but thats personal choice.

Visibilty could be described as early telephone box but as UA says, the rest is brilliant.

foxmoth
14th Jul 2012, 12:57
Flew one from Blackpool for a while, did both Paradropping and Banner towing (the same a/c ended up in the water off the IOW whilst towing some years after I stopped). Certainly not my favourite a/c, unlike most of the above posters. Really disliked the connected rudder/aileron and I understand you can have these disconnected which supposedly improves the handling.

Jan Olieslagers
14th Jul 2012, 15:26
[[off-topic]] Silvaire, what would you consider better stuff to cut a firewall from?

Sir George Cayley
14th Jul 2012, 16:55
I think the Tripe (and the Colt) are neglected classics. I couldn't wait to get into a 172, but thinking back I can see why I was wrong.

There's a Colt for sale on UKGA at what seems like a very reasonable price too.

The Pie Chaser with the bigger engine would be my choice as it's a load lugger compared to the others.

SGC

acoulson
16th Jul 2012, 12:41
Hi Reeves, check your PMs
Andy

jonkil
16th Jul 2012, 13:32
There is a beautiful Tripacer (or maybe its a colt!) for sale in Newtownards. Beautiful example.