PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Store Orlando?

mark_c
12th Jul 2012, 10:39
Hey, Does anybody know if there is a pilot supply store in Orlando? Im going on holidays there and want to take advantage of the cheaper prices of equipment. Whenever i google this question i just get online stores based in the U.S!
Thanks

seymoreskye
12th Jul 2012, 11:11
Think there is a few around the smaller airports and also naples has one. Thats all i know of

BackPacker
12th Jul 2012, 11:14
There used to be a small one at Kissimmee airport. The building next door to Orlando Flight Training - I think they're called Marathon or something. (It's the building through which you have to pass to get to the tower - but it's been a while since I was there, so no guarantees...)

Furthermore Orlando Flight Training has a small shop for its students as well.

However, these are not huge pilot shops. They're more geared towards students and pilots that need some last-minute supplies. If you're lucky they might have three different types of headsets for you to choose from, not the hundreds that an on-line supplier might stock.

My guess is that most of their revenue will come from maps, flight guides and such.

Torque Tonight
12th Jul 2012, 11:53
I bought my headset at Sunstate Aviation, Kissimmee. They have a very small shop section in the corner of the flying school but I saved about 20% on the UK price for my Lightspeed.

I think most of the Florida flying schools will have small shop areas but I haven't found anything big like a Transair or AFE equivalent.

HighFlyer75
12th Jul 2012, 12:15
The Sunstate Aviation shop at Kissimmee airport is good for most basic supplies but the biggest one I have found is at Orlando Executive Airport and is run by Air Orlando. Its a decent size and has a good selection.

https://flyairorlando.com/pilot-store/

Executive airport is about a 20 minute drive from International drive and Kissimmee airport is about a 30 minute drive (most people seem to stay on International drive rather than down town when on holiday)

Dave Gittins
12th Jul 2012, 12:27
When ever I have been in the States I have ordered from Pilot Mall (http://esupport.pilotmall.com/helpdesk/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/6/visit-our-store) AKA AvShop.

They are in St Petersburg nr Tampa which is about 100 miles from Kissimmee (less than 2 hrs on I-4) and as they are on an airfield, KPSG, that could be a nice trip out and another field in the book. (Passing Kermit Weeks's place on the way).

I have always had stuff delivered to Colorado and so avoided Florida state tax so check how much that adds to the advertised prices.

dont overfil
12th Jul 2012, 14:17
Air Orlando 317 North Crystal Lake Drive on the south side of Orlando Executive. www.flyairorlando.com (http://www.flyairorlando.com)

D.O.

mark_c
12th Jul 2012, 18:02
Thanks for your replies folks! Im just thinking i could also order online and get the stuff delivered to my hotel, still beating the fooking tax man getting his say on things!

Dave Gittins
13th Jul 2012, 12:28
Provided the origin address and the destination address are in different states .... and you trust the desk staff.

mark_c
13th Jul 2012, 13:52
Dave, so what your saying is that if the online store is based in a different state as my hotel i will not be stung for tax? I would have thought the opposite! I'll make my decision about the hotel staff when i arrive and wont order the stuff until im happy. Thanks

Tinstaafl
14th Jul 2012, 05:17
Florida has a 7.5%** sales tax that gets applied at the end of the bill. It only applies to sales that are made & delivered within Florida.

**It can vary a bit depending on what county you're in but 7.5% is pretty common.