PDA

View Full Version : electronic cx-2/qualifying cross country

al_renko
10th Jul 2012, 18:44
hi all,
I haved passed the nav ground exam and will soon be preparing for my qualifying cross country,are you allowed to use the cx-2 instead of the whizz wheel when the examiner gives you your route etc? thanks,
Al.

The500man
10th Jul 2012, 18:56
Why would an examiner give you a qualifying cross county route?

riverrock83
10th Jul 2012, 20:55
As you will now have realised, the Qualifying Cross Country section is organised between yourself and your instructor so a different setup than the General Skills Test which is with an examiner. You should prepare the navigation in the way you were taught by your instructor (using whatever method was taught), going on a route which would be discussed with your instructor (how detailed that discussion is will depend on the instructor).
You'll get your instructor to fill in the section at the top, print off and sign this form:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG2105FF.pdf

You will then take that form with you and get it signed where you land. When you return, your instructor will sign the bottom if he is happy.

At least - thats how I think it goes (I'm preparing for mine at the moment...)

mike-wsm
21st Nov 2012, 10:58
I think the whizz wheel (Dalton Flight Computer) is compulsory, it requires understanding of the vectors involved in flying.

That's the whole point. You need to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it, not operating a programmable calculator and getting your decimal points all wrong.

Learn to fly first, use shortcuts later when you have sufficient knowledge and experience to spot errors.

phiggsbroadband
21st Nov 2012, 11:11
Riverrock, your link drew a blank, try....

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG2105FFenabled.pdf

I think it's Whizz-Wheel only, w.r.t. Met Office F214 and F215.

riverrock83
21st Nov 2012, 11:44
Phiggs
I'm not sure what Met office forecasts have got to do with respect to wizz wheels?

Regarding link - fair enough - according to the website it changed on 1st October.
Maybe a better place would be here, as updated documents should be linked to from there:
SRG2105: Authorisation for PPL/SPL/LAPL Qualifying Cross Country | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=3444)

Wizz wheel is probably compulsory at most schools - but as I said before - its between you and the instructor. If your instructor teaches you to use fancy tools from the start, it wont let you pass the exam (as for the ground exam its whizz wheel and non-programmable calculator only), but there aren't any rules saying you can't use and learn other methods.

And yes - I completed my qualifying cross country a while ago. Route was discussed on the phone a few days before which I planned at home, then instructor checked it in detail when I arrived for the flight. I could have used any method I wanted to plan the flight.

phiggsbroadband
21st Nov 2012, 12:29
Hi RiverRock,
Well you need to know what altitude you are going to fly, then you look on the F214 to get the area winds aloft, which will be different to any METAR or TAF at the airfields you are going to visit. This wind is marked onto the Whizz-Wheel.

My guess is that unless it is CAVOK and with airspace above us, the 2000ft wind will be used. It would be nice to do a QXC at 10,000ft but this is GB.

Mickey Kaye
21st Nov 2012, 12:47
and the great thing about the revised caa qxc for (when it went front one page to three) is that if your destination slag you off to hell andhigh water for say landing on the wrong runway.

all you need to do when you getback to base is throw way page 3 (the one with all the ****ty comments on) and print off a nice bank page 3 and no need to do it again.

its called progress

BillieBob
21st Nov 2012, 14:28
It hasn't been a 'qualifying' cross country for well over 20 years. The 100nm cross country flight is included in the mandatory 10 hours supervised solo flight time in the EASA PPL course. Once the organisation becomes an ATO, the training specification for this flight, like any other in the PPL course, should be detailed in Part 2 of the Training Manual and approved by the competent authority. It certainly will not be up to the whim of the individual instructor.

riverrock83
21st Nov 2012, 15:34
BillieBob
Ok - fair enough. Its a cross country flight, which is completed as per the rules set out by EASA as part of the syllabus for a PPL / SPL / LAPL course, which forms part of the qualification of a candidate for licence issue.

Which normally involves completing a form which says the following at the top:
Authorisation for PPL/SPL/LAPL Qualifying Cross CountryAnd which resembles the old Qualifying Cross Country flight under a previous regime, but isn't the same as that.
:}

And if using something other than a "whizz wheel" is an approved training method in Part 2 of the relevant training manual - then so be it. The rules don't say "thou shalt use a whizz wheel".
I suggest that the training manuals aren't likely to be easily available to students? In which case, as far as a student is concerned - its whatever the instructor says goes.