PDA

View Full Version : Returning to flying in Dallas, please help.

Brian19
7th Jul 2012, 10:01
Hi all. I haven't flown for 15 years and would like to return to flying. I will be staying near Addison Airport in Dallas TX in a few weeks and wondered if anyone could recommend a club. I have so far managed to find on the internet Lone Star Flyers, Monarch and American Flyers. If at some stage I am successful in passing my flight review, does anyone know the cheapest place to hire an aircraft. In this way, i could afford to fly more hours per year on my limited budget. Would I be right in saying that prices have quadrupled since i took my PPL in 1994? If only I had pushed ahead at the time to become a flying instructor! Unfortunately at that time, life's commitments and problems got in the way, and so here I am, missing flying very much and wanting to return in my late 40's.

Dave Gittins
9th Jul 2012, 12:27
I think after 15 years you will have to do a lot more than just pass an FR.

Maybe somebody like SoCal App will come along and tell you the full details.

Suggest you email the schools / clubs in the area, tell them your situation, ask what you have to do to revalidate and ask what it will cost. then you have some comparison. Solo hourly rates will certainly have gone up a little since 1994, how much it costs depends who you rent from, what you rent and where and whether you maybe get a share in a plane.