PDA

View Full Version : PPL training at Weston airport

Gulfstream757
3rd Jul 2012, 11:17
Hi all,just looking for people opinions on flight schools at Weston airport.What is your personal experience I was thinking of the National flight center but I heard that with them you won't get the same flight instructor through training.I should also mention I'm looking for a ppl at the moment but wish to go further in the future,finally how often should I take lessons and how long will each lesson last?

dublinpilot
3rd Jul 2012, 12:23
My experience of National Flight Centre was renting shortly after getting my PPL.

On 50% of the occasions that I'd turn up the aircraft would not be available because it had a technical problem and nobody had bothered to call to tell me my booking needed to be cancelled.

On most of the other 50% of occasions I'd find that the aircraft was late back from the previous flight and I'd be asked to cut my booking short, and could I make my 2 hour booking into 1 hour, or my 1 hour booking into 30 minutes.

I quickly got fed up and found somewhere else.

Having spoken to other people who flew there and some who trainned there, my experience was far from unique. I've no idea if it's still the same today, but somehow doubt much has changed.

I'd suggest that you look at FlightWise and Sky Trace too.

In terms of how often to fly, it really depends on your budget and how quickly you want to learn. If you're doing it for fun, and in no immediate rush, then I'd suggest four hours per month.
This gives you 1 hour lesson per week in the early stages (regular practice helps you lean the skills quicker) and when you start to do cross countries, you can do 2 * 2 hour slots per month.

You can expect a fair proporition of your flights will be cancelled because of the weather, so you can expect it to take about 18 months with this sort of plan.

dp

david viewing
3rd Jul 2012, 12:57
I know nothing about National Flight Centre but would say there is a lot to be said for doing at least some training out of Weston if you intend to fly as a PPL. It's by far the most complex airspace in Ireland and being familiar with it will probably serve you well in the future.

Gulfstream757
3rd Jul 2012, 16:34
Thanks for your help I'll check out flightwise,I was just talking to a friend who has had an intro flight with them and he seems to think they are good,18 months sounds good as I want to start at 15/16 so to have a ppl by 17 would put me in good shape for the future as I would not be traing during my leaving cert.

Gulfstream757
3rd Jul 2012, 19:15
Thanks David good info!:ok: