PDA

View Full Version : Pulkovo Airport Briefing

Speedwinner
27th Jun 2012, 06:33
Hello guys,

iŽll be there the first time next week. Never been flying to russia, so can somebody give me some nice hints and tips when flying to St. Petersburg?

Thanks so much!

galaxy flyer
27th Jun 2012, 12:32
Review QFE ops in your type and metric flight levels. Don't be surprised when, 90 degrees to the final approach, the controller says, "cleared approach". You won't get a landing clearance until you say "gear down, ready to land". The city is beautiful, stay at the Marriott or other quality hotel. It won't get dark until 11pm nowadays.

Jet Dragoneer
27th Jun 2012, 13:48
As GF says make sure you really understand QFE in metric system. Now Russia uses RVSM levels and FL in feet above the TL, metric QFE below.
Be more proactive than you would be in say Helsinki and expect late clearances. ILS Heights are quite low so configure and slow down a wee bit earlier.
If you are staying be careful at cashpoint machines for "overlookers" and wallet scammers. Enjoy.

poldek77
27th Jun 2012, 18:12
APPR advises distance to rwy in kilometers, wind speed in meters per second.

And again: prepare for QFE setting - ATC gives descent to 900m then 600m height - but my company mandates QNH due to EGPWS requirements so we use conversion tables published by Jeppesen on their approach plates.

Presently RWY 10R/28L is closed (see NOTAMs) so you may expect longer than usual taxi time - last week it took me about 40 minutes from start-up to get airborne.

galaxy flyer
27th Jun 2012, 20:44
M/S winds can safely be doubled to get it in knots. Some EGPWS systems can be used in QFE, check your AFM. The GLEX can be as long as GPS is enabled and operational. Depending on type, lots of systems maybe affected by using QFE. If you choose to use QNH, REMEMBER the controller may give you a QNH setting, but he will always be issuing clearances below transition as QFE heights, you MUST convert using the Jepp table.

GF

FlightPathOBN
28th Jun 2012, 01:10
they dont accept credit cards...IF they do, rest assured that by the time you reach your room, you will have purchased 300 inflatable rubber airplanes...

Speedwinner
28th Jun 2012, 05:38
thanks guys, appreciate so much!