PDA

View Full Version : The Best PPL Student Kit?

TheNakedTrader
26th Jun 2012, 20:02
Hi guys,

I am in the midst of preparing everything I need to prepare before making
my way to the USA to do my FAA PPL with EFT.

Now..the thing is, the guys at EFT are telling me that they don't require the student to purchase any private pilot kit. All the student needs is:

1) FAA Flying Handbook
2) FAA Practical test standards
3) FAA Pilot's Guide to Aeronautical Knowledge

The folks at EFT told me that all this 3 publications can be downloaded for free on the FAA website.

However, during my research on PPL training, almost every other flight school requires their students to purchase a student pilot kit and begin studying before arrival.

I am not sure the above mentioned 3 publications will suffice to pass the theory exams in the first 2-3 days of my arrival? Can someone please advise on this?

Also, can anyone please recommend me the best PPL kit available on the market that will be of great help and usefulness to clear the theory exams in a breeze. Academic cramming and studying is my forte by the way. So as long as I have the correct books, shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Bryan

pudoc
26th Jun 2012, 21:50
Can't speak about passing FAA exams...but I do agree with them that student kits look good but really are just a waste. Pay for whatever you need when you need it.

I was always advised against buying a student kit. The school wants you to pass as well, so if they say all you need are those books then that is all you need.

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Jun 2012, 22:37
The school will expect you to have what the school has recommended you get. By all means buy other stuff if you want to read more - I bought and read this book:

The Design of the Aeroplane: Amazon.co.uk: Darrol Stinton: Books

during my PPL course (I wasn't prepared to accept some of the monkey-see-monkey-do this-is-how-you-tick-the-right-box-in-the-exam explanations about how things worked) but in no way was it necessary to pass the exams.

The500man
27th Jun 2012, 10:21
You could buy a cheap headset off eBay instead of that £70 book! I would avoid buying a student kit and just get what the school says you need.

dublinpilot
27th Jun 2012, 11:13
I am not sure the above mentioned 3 publications will suffice to pass the theory exams in the first 2-3 days of my arrival? Can someone please advise on this?

Why wait? If they can be downloaded from the internet, then download them now and get studying!

jez d
27th Jun 2012, 12:59
It never ceases to amaze me why individuals are so parsimonious when it comes to acquiring pilot kit. Everything comes down to money, of course, but those who insist that a PPL can be studied for and passed with just a pencil and piece of string, just plain confound me.

If you've got the money, what on earth is wrong in kitting oneself out appropriately?

Study packs are absolutely fine. In fact, many schools recommend them as it standardises the kit their students use and prevents confusion when the student is passed from one instructor to another, who have conflicting ideas as to what kit one should use.

Headsets and sunglasses aside (both essential items, IMHO), don't go and buy your kit off the Internet. Instead ask your school to sell you the kit. Most UK schools (can't answer for the US) stock training material (including study packs) and will be happy to sell it to you at standard retail, netting themselves a small dividend in the process. Support your school!!

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Jun 2012, 15:55
You could buy a cheap headset off eBay instead of that £70 book!
I could have done, if eBay had existed then, but it would have been a complete waste of money because my school provided headsets.

Like I said, best to take the schools advice.

rats404
27th Jun 2012, 20:18
As someone who gained their PPL over a very protracted period in the 80's and 90's because I was broke, I can really relate to those who look to save a few quid here and there. I took the worst job I have ever had to get the chance to gain my PPL.

Every two or three pounds saved is another minute in the aeroplane, and to those who say that you have to be realistic about the cost of flying, I agree.

But some of us have had a passion for flight since we were little kids, and it is all consuming, irrespective of our financial circumstances. Maybe some of us who are slightly more comfortable nowadays could look in the office, study or garage, and dig out old whiz wheels, rulers and protractors etc. that we have spares of and offer them to those students who could really use them?

Also Gertrude is correct, The Design of the Aeroplane has been in my library for over 25 years and is one of my most valued books, alongside Fate is the hunter.

Rats404

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jun 2012, 07:41
Also Gertrude is correct, The Design of the Aeroplane has been in my library for over 25 years and is one of my most valued books, alongside Fate is the hunter.

The late, and very great, Dr. Darrol Stinton wrote three books, all of which I value highly. These are:

- The Anatomy of the Aeroplane
- The Design of the Aeroplane
- Flying Qualities and Flight Testing of the Aeroplane.

Personally I value the last most, but value of all them a great deal. I would however have thought that "Anatomy" would be the most valuable to a private pilot wanting to expand their aeronautical knowledge - it was based upon ETPS course notes produced when the staff, and in particular Darrol, decided that student test pilots just didn't know enough about how aeroplanes worked. "Design" is aimed at aircraft designers and aeronautical engineering students, whilst "FT&FQ" is aimed at flight test professionals.

They are in danger now of getting slightly out of date since he sadly died at Christmas, but there are some moves afoot to have some suitable aeronautical grown-ups keep them revised and updated for years going forward.

G