PDA

View Full Version : Olympics refugee...

betterfromabove
25th Jun 2012, 10:43
Hi,

We're going to be grounded during the Olympic Shutdown.

Any good suggestions for where could rent reasonably priced taildragger within easy reach of London, but outside R112?

Cheers,
BFA

BackPacker
25th Jun 2012, 11:52
If you do have a transponder, you're not grounded.

If you don't have a transponder, why not relocate the airplane to outside the R-zone for the duration?

betterfromabove
25th Jun 2012, 12:02
No transponder and needs hangarage, since an oldie. Rest of group not enthusiastic about hassles, costs of re-locating for the month. There are options out there though.

BackPacker
25th Jun 2012, 12:10
I see. Good luck.

Edited: This seems to be an incredibly nice initiative though:

Escape to Ireland! | Flying In Ireland Magazine (http://www.flyinginireland.com/escape-to-ireland.html)

betterfromabove
25th Jun 2012, 12:36
Yes, goodwill is not missing! I imagine a few of the clubs outside the zone will get a few of us wanting to escape west/north etc during what is usually the peak season for touring.

Whole event is a pain in the a$$. Really hope the local clubs come out unscathed.

Jerico
25th Jun 2012, 15:58
There's hangar space at Headcorn EGKH if that is of interest?

Nibbler
26th Jun 2012, 15:21
Summer Holiday in Ireland with no TV droning on about the bleeding Olympics day and night and all that free parking. SOLD - Irish airfield tour on the cards!

Check out the sudden change in the rules to facilitate pilots with an NPPL removing both the restriction and cost - now that's what a call an effective aviation authority!

Rod1
26th Jun 2012, 15:30
Good luck - hope you get the weather. I may tour Scotland.

Rod1

I Love Flying
26th Jun 2012, 15:46
Another thought.

I'm sure I have read somewhere that aircraft not equipped with a transponder can fly to/from/within R112, provided they fly in formation with another transponder equipped aircraft.

That may be an option for the OP?

betterfromabove
26th Jun 2012, 18:28
A tour of Ireland very tempting - perhaps we can launch an Olympic Refugee convoy??

Yes, it is indeed true that you can fly in and out of R112 in formation with a TX equipped a/c. Quite how close that formation needs to be is not made clear in the notes I've seen however. As posted elsewhere, I've also wondered if CX would be possible if someone else in CX is chirping for you??

To be honest, think most people in our situation would find above arrangement simply too complicated to organise and prone to issues (esp. the CX question...sure it wouldn't be allowed and likely to bring the wrath of Atlas upon you, just for an afternoon bimble).

FullWings
26th Jun 2012, 19:05
Yes, it is indeed true that you can fly in and out of R112 in formation with a TX equipped a/c.
Unfortunately, you only get a choice of Apache or Eurofighter...

BackPacker
26th Jun 2012, 19:12
BFA, the CAA leaflet I have here says "aircraft in formation shall maintain within 1 nm horizontally and at the same level" about formations for the purpose of getting non-transponding aircraft in and out of R112.

betterfromabove
26th Jun 2012, 19:12
Haha - no doubt!

But yes, it is apparently true, buried in the pre-read materials, they say it's possible. I'm just not sure I want to be testing quite how "close" Atlas want that formation to be. These RAF boys and girls tend to rather exacting standards I believe.

betterfromabove
26th Jun 2012, 19:16
BackPacker - just saw your note. First time I've seen that info. Interesting. 1nm is not too constraining. Would test your nerves, although you'd be in radio two-way of course. You'd have to buddy up with a club a/c heading out to the LFA I suspect as best plan.

Makes CX theoretically possible, doesn't it? You'd have to match each other's behaviour though :}

BackPacker
26th Jun 2012, 19:20
What's CX?

Anyway, the leaflet I got here is the six-page "Airspace & safety initiative" leaflet (pink cover) that was sent along with Flyer a month ago. The non-transponder aircraft text takes up about 1/6th of page 3. So it's hardly "buried in the pre-read materials"..

betterfromabove
26th Jun 2012, 19:29
CX = circuits.

OK. To be honest, only skimmed over the information on non-TX a/c as we've planned to ground ourselves for the duration, so was out of general interest only.

However, from what appears to be in the document, this does appear to open the door to circuits, providing your field has applied for the dispensation.

BackPacker
26th Jun 2012, 19:35
I see. Google only suggested something with China Southern Airlines, so I figured you wanted to fly formation with one of their 747s or something...:}

Anyway, the exception for circuit flying only applies to the submission of flight plans, apparently. You still need to squawk an airfield- and day specific code so from what I can see CX flying is not possible for a non-transponder aircraft inside R112. Unless you fly circuits in formation of course.

But who knows. I've only seen the six-page summary. There might be a further exception somewhere in the 118-page bible.

betterfromabove
26th Jun 2012, 21:04
God, as if there isn't already enough things to get in the way of flying.....118 page tomes of temporary procedures with dire consequences for non-adherence come our way.:rolleyes:

Yes, the only image that comes to mind is some tight formation flying around the circuit, which is an exercise in itself of course, so think we can probably put this one to bed. We're grounded unless we someone goes out of their way to buddy us up every time (unlikely...).

The other consideration is that you will have no guarentee of being able to get airborne at all, even as a 1-ship with a TX, if going VFR, until you get the confirmation.

Think Tiger Club may be best place to escape....

Why didn't we bid for the WINTER Olympics??

echobeach
26th Jun 2012, 21:20
Winter Olympics. Hahahahaha. That really made me laugh.

Although given recent weather, perhaps not such an unwise suggestion.

My remaining uncertainty about this period is : will it be impossible to get an atlas number to fly as everyone's flying. Or, will it be really easy as everyone is put off by the hassle and you can fly more freely than usual. Given a combination of holidays and hassle keeping skies clear, I am rather hoping I will be flying rather a lot in empty skies.

Having seen a euro fighter up very close on one of the practice days I am rather looking forward to this.