PDA

View Full Version : Inbound to White Waltham

PompeyPaul
21st Jun 2012, 19:43
I was looking through their pilot's information:

Reporting Points | West London Aero ClubWest London Aero Club (http://www.wlac.co.uk/wlac/pilot-information/reporting-points/)

http://www.wlac.co.uk/wlac/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/pooleys1.jpg

With respect to reporting point Sierra, it seems I need to change to WW quite early to get that reporting point in? When do they expect pilots inbound to WW to change to WW frequency from Farnborough?

ohinever
21st Jun 2012, 19:54
Between Bracknell and point sierra usually does the trick.

You will track north to the right of the railway line to avoid having to talk to Blackbushe.

betterfromabove
21st Jun 2012, 20:56
If coming from the south, most of us based there leave F'boro RDR when coming around the south abeam of Reading. Gives us time to get in word edgeways to say goodbye to F'boro and concentrate on getting eyes focused for what is a real honeypot on the E side of Reading.

If you make it late, you can always proceed to "Whisky", which is an easy join, since you just peer along the dead straight railway line and follow it until you see the airfield just to the right after a few minutes flying time.

Also to note, it's a 1300'QFE OHJ at WW. Been instances, including one recently of people joining at 2000'QNH+, at which point you're in the Heathrow Class A....

betterfromabove
21st Jun 2012, 20:59
PS. A lot of local pilots seem to consider "Whisky" to be the small lakes just to the south of the position marked on the chart, as it's handily aligned with the railway line and easier to spot.

chevvron
21st Jun 2012, 21:22
1300' QFE? Bit old fashioned isn't it? I know QFE can still be used nowadays but surely 'not above 1500' QNH' would be more in line with national procedures.

cjhants
22nd Jun 2012, 07:02
Both Sierra and Whiskey are pretty easy to find - S at J10 M4 and W near J11
If you go for W, look for Majeski Stadium, and you will see the lakes to the east of Reading, the the railway line points to the field.
If you join at S, keep a watch for traffic incoming from W over your left shoulder. Also, check the circuit patterns, for 21 and 25, you keep inside the M4 downwind, and turn base inside the dual carriageway that runs N/S from
M4 J8/9. I have seen plenty going out over Maidenhead, you are then outside the circuit and in the LHR airspace.

24Carrot
22nd Jun 2012, 08:44
As nobody else has mentioned it: to the North of the airfield there is small dark square wood in a large light brown field and it is much easier to spot than the airfield itself.

One caveat coming from the south: go to Sierra first and then aim for the wood. If you aim for the wood as soon as you see it, you may bust the CTR.

Tay Cough
22nd Jun 2012, 09:59
From November (the bend in the river north of Henley on Thames), pick up a track of 135 deg M. The airfield is quite easily identifiable south of the Great Western railway as a large green field (funny old thing) with a large "cut-out" industrial area on the north side adjacent to the railway and hangars to the south.

The picture HERE (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=51.50064323275983~-0.7715793251991276&lvl=14&dir=0&sty=h&eo=0&ss=yp.airfield~pg.1~rad.0,971760662836917&form=LMLTCC) shows it well.

PompeyPaul
22nd Jun 2012, 20:41
Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to flying in.

India Four Two
24th Jun 2012, 10:09
Paul,

Your question invokes nostalgia for me. I did my PPL at WW back in the days when it was mostly non-radio. The procedures then were departure along the north side of the railway at 1000' QFE until abeam Woodley, or turn north at Twyford for Henley. Inbounds followed similar routes, but on the south side of the railway at 1500' QFE for an overhead join.

I42

toptobottom
24th Jun 2012, 11:16
From the North, it's also easy to see the silver hangar on the southern boundary from several miles out. Caution the noise abatement areas (http://www.wlac.co.uk/wlac/noise-abatement/)for EGLM; there are lots of sensitive residents who won't hesitate to complain...

It's a lovely airfield, steeped in history with a popular and very active clubhouse. All the guys (and gals) are very friendly, with the exception of a certain CFI, who can be the most obnoxious individual you are ever likely to meet.

betterfromabove
24th Jun 2012, 11:34
Wonderful place indeed, but a very "particular" atmosphere in the clubhouse.