PDA

View Full Version : B738 (U 10.8) VNAV can't connect

flyzhz
21st Jun 2012, 11:40
It is not writeen in FCOM about this. In CRZ,just passed T/D,and FAM sys MCP SPED and ALT HOLD ,both MCP and FMC alt is FL300.Then ATC required me to desend to FL200.I set mcp alt FL148,then tried to connect VNAV ,but it dosen't work. Then I pished ALT INVT then VNAV it worked.but why???
FCOM only says how to use ALT INVT in VNAV mode,no other information.
How many stuations,in which the VNAV can't be engaged?

flying apple
21st Jun 2012, 14:38
first of all in my opinion you got strange flightlevels :}

Basically VNAV is the vertical path that's put in the fmc.
If you have any altitude restrictions while you are climbing and the mcp alt is set higher, if you then press alt intervent the altitude restriction is deleted.
If you are in cruise and want to descend in vnav you have to put your new altitude in the fmc which you can do manually or by setting the lower altitude in the mcp and pres alt intervent.

I'm not sure anymore if it's the same when you already entered the approach in the fmc. Ours says reset mcp alt when we reach our TOD

flyzhz
21st Jun 2012, 15:14
So ,you have never fly in China?ATC use meter,pilot use feet,hate that!Too easy to make mistake.
totally aggree with you,while in CRZ,if mcp and fmc have different alt,Vnav can't connect?why?

Avenger
21st Jun 2012, 15:56
You where in ALT HOLD because you passed the VNAV TOD? and then selected VS? you where descending in VS and then tried to connect VNAV? With 10.8A if you where in VNAV and then reset the MCP to a lower altitude the ALT Intervention should descend you in VNAV to the lower Altitude if the lower altitude is in the FMC legs page and after your current waypoint. If the lower altitude is not in the active legs page, as previously mentioned, you need to insert it.

B737900er
21st Jun 2012, 16:00
Firstly you shouldn't be flying around with 10.8 or did you forget to put the 'A' after it?

cosmo kramer
21st Jun 2012, 16:25
If you didn't reach your top of descent, you have to press "Descent now" in the lower right corner of the FMC Descent page.

Pressing Altitude intervention has the same function as "Descent now" when still in cruise.

flyzhz
21st Jun 2012, 16:28
I was CRZ at FL256,FMA says MCP SPD and ALT HOLD.Then I was asked to desend to FL148.SO ,I set FL148 on MCP (while FL256 in FMC).Then I push VNAV butten ,nothing happend. why?
But then i put ALT INVT butten and VNAV,it worked,stared VNAV PTH descend.

I had passed T/D

In what situaitions,VANV dosen't work?

WallyWumpus
21st Jun 2012, 16:44
If you pass T/D, your FMA will go from VNAV PTH to ALT HOLD. If you then set a new level in the MCP and hit VNAV, it will start a descent to chase the profile downwards (watch the speed!).

Pub User
21st Jun 2012, 16:55
Were there any scatchpad messages?

BOAC
21st Jun 2012, 17:11
"I was CRZ at FL256,FMA says MCP SPD and ALT HOLD.Then I was asked to desend to FL148.SO ,I set FL148 on MCP (while FL256 in FMC).Then I push VNAV butten ,nothing happend. why?"

What are we dealing with here? Answers on a postcard?

Sir George Cayley
21st Jun 2012, 17:55
Wouldn't this query be better directed at Airbus?

Welcome to Airbus.

For orders press 1
For cancellations press 2
For technical support press 3

Simples.

SGC

BOAC
21st Jun 2012, 18:49
Actually I prefer

http://www.acicalltracking.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Trial-period.jpg

FlightPathOBN
21st Jun 2012, 20:35
10.8 ?!??!

haejangkuk
22nd Jun 2012, 00:21
Not a helpful post. - JT

Capn Bloggs
22nd Jun 2012, 02:54
There's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer. Nothing nice to say? Don't say anything. :=

Tech Log=Abuse log. :hmm: ... not on my watch - JT

flyzhz
22nd Jun 2012, 03:43
Thanks a lot, I will try that.But I steel don't know,why I set a lower MCP ALT,and put VNAV,nothing happens until I put ALT INVT.

Molokai
22nd Jun 2012, 04:51
Likewise - not helpful - JT

kinteafrokunta
22nd Jun 2012, 18:50
Hey dude, you do yourself no favour with your haughty reply to flying apple's observation about your " strange flight levels ".....a hint of arrogance at your current ability to fly modern shiny jets in PRC. Secondly, your query betray a complete lack of understanding of VNAV vis-a-vis basic vertical profile management. Some wonder how you manage to garner a job flying this shiny new jet around the PRC. Now you last post clearly takes the cake.

Now I don't fly the B738 but I have previous experience on the B767. When you set FL148 on the MCP without pushing ALT INVT, the FMC cruise altitude remained at FL256 on VNAV cruise page. If you pressed VNAV after being at ALT HOLD, VNAV descent would not occur because there was no defined active descent path from current airplane altitude to the FMC VNAV cruise page. Then by engaging ALT INVT you had either resetted the FMC cruise altitude on the VNAV cruise page to FL148 or activated the VNAV DES function. When FL148 was propagated to the FMC cruise altitude on the VNAV cruise page, there was now a defined cruise descent function which allowed VNAV to engage. If you had passed TD, then the VNAV DES would be activated. In both cases, the AFDS would descend the aircraft; in the first case it would be a cruise descent and in the second instance it would be descent at idle thrust at VNAV SPD trying to achieve VNAV PTH.

I hope you and JT finds this helpful!:rolleyes::ok: I fly airbus products now; so my recollection of Boeing VNAV operation may be faulty.

I understand haejungkuk's lament because I have seen a quite a number of newbies who bought rapid type rating training which never prepared them for flying the shiny new jets at all. They then had the miraculous 500 or 1000 flying hours in their logbooks when they show up in the Orient for plum jobs. Your question at the start of this thread is one of the many we have come across. The interesting thing is that the some " knowledgeable " replies to the query will certainly raise eyebrows, if not scare a lot of people.

VNAVPTH
22nd Jun 2012, 19:15
Perhaps a useful insight into the technical knowledge (or lack thereof) of some PRC pilots. Or flt sim enthusiasts. I'm fingers crossed its the later.

FlightPathOBN
22nd Jun 2012, 20:15
I seem to remember there are quite a few bugs in 10.8...perhaps this is one of them?

SpaceNeedle
23rd Jun 2012, 01:33
flyzhz...are you really a Canuck?

Either you had framed your query badly or it might had really been a 10.8 bug.

Or as kinte wrote, you must be a wonderboy fortune hunter in the Orient. Then the recruiters in the Orient must have been really lax to have let you through.

flyzhz
23rd Jun 2012, 14:15
kinteafrokunta (http://www.pprune.org/members/306579-kinteafrokunta),Thanks a lot ! :D Thanks for teaching me,not only my question,but also how to be a nice people. Sorry to flying apple. ( :} has the meaning of jeer in my culture,maby I take it too serious)

flyzhz
24th Jun 2012, 10:30
So you Yank don't know the answer and feel hapy to lagh at Canadian?

gerago
24th Jun 2012, 11:07
Your question at the start of this thread is one of the many we have come across. The interesting thing is that the some " knowledgeable " replies to the query will certainly raise eyebrows, if not scare a lot of people.

Kinte, how very astute of you! A lot of the posts attempting to answer flyzhz's question really puzzled me. I was told by friends that pprune is full of con artists. Now I know for sure that there are indeed plenty of con artists on Pprune!

It's heartening to know that you still retain a lot of the Boeing VNAV system knowledge now that you are on the scarebus:ok:

john_tullamarine
24th Jun 2012, 12:06
I think that this thread is going downhill sufficient to warrant closing it.

Folks, this really isn't the forum for invective and willy waving.