PDA

View Full Version : Where to pickup FAA piggyback license? (Flight Standards District Offices)

Flamin_Squirrel
19th Jun 2012, 18:07
Hi guys,

I think I know the unfortunate answer but wanted to check; I'm hoping to apply for a piggypack FAA license on the basis of my JAA PPL. It seems I need to nominate a Flight Standards District Office from which to pickup the certificate, and I'm assuming there's no way around this? The reason I ask is it'll be quite out of my way to pick it up when I arrive in the US.

If this can't be avoided, can someone confirm that once I've picked up the certificate I'm good to go straight away?

Many thanks.

achimha
19th Jun 2012, 18:39
You are right, a FSDO needs to be selected and they will receive a copy of the same letter that you will have to bring. And also yes, you will receive your paper certificate right away and can then straight go to your FTO and get a flight review. I went to the FSDO at 8am and was airborne at 9am when I got my PPL piggyback.

B2N2
19th Jun 2012, 19:43
Find-a-FSDO
Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO) (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/)

The reason I ask is it'll be quite out of my way to pick it up when I arrive in the US.

REALLY ? How inconvenient for you......:E...and it's free even.......:eek:

Let's try the other way (FAA> EASA validation) and see how easy that is......

Prop swinger
19th Jun 2012, 20:03
Let's try the other way (FAA> EASA validation) and see how easy that is...... You don't need to, in the UK at least. Any ICAO licence is good for non-commercial VFR flying - no forms, no fees, no flight test.

7of9
20th Jun 2012, 00:12
Yes as soon as they issue you with your ticket can go fly.
Also check that you may require Renters Insurance with tyhe place you are renting from.

T

Flamin_Squirrel
20th Jun 2012, 15:55
Thanks guys. One last question; does my application 'expire' after a while? i.e. if I apply now am I ok to collect in October (which is when I'll be there)?

Tinstaafl
20th Jun 2012, 15:55
I thought a flight review with an FAA licenced instructor is required before you can head off on your own. Has that changed?

BossEyed
20th Jun 2012, 15:58
Tinstaafl, you are correct. Valid BFR still required.

Flamin_Squirrel
20th Jun 2012, 16:00
No worries, I know about the BFR; when I say 'good to go', I didn't mean solo, just that I'm in a position to start logging hours :ok:

Artistic Intention
20th Jun 2012, 16:32
Yes it does expire. I can't remember the exact details, but I'm pretty sure you have to visit the FSDO within 6 months of them letting you know they have confirmation of your licence from the CAA.

Dave Gittins
21st Jun 2012, 12:26
It's six months. Why not just get it from the horses mouth ?

Airmen Certification - Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

rtl_flyer
21st Jun 2012, 13:22
You can TRY and pick up from FSDO but in my experience that does not work. So they make you go to an DPE who charges to supply the licence. You also need to pre-register with an FAA system - forget the name of it. He will explain.

Your letter is required to get the licence AND while you fly you need a valid letter. The letter is valid for a period - if you want to fly on your FAA licence after expiry of letter you need to get another - don't need to show it to anybody unless requested has to stay with your licence.

My experience was:
Called Miami FSDO to be told I could do my licence there - I already had paper one needed new plastic. Told to get CAA letter in hand and call back to make appointment. Told lots of availability

So I arranged flight to facilitate my FSDO Miami visit. Called them up to arrange appointment. Now told cannot without letter.

Letter arrives, I called up to be told to see DPE. Phone hung up before I could say much more.

Called back (same lady) and told they didn't have my letter. Phone hung up!!

Called again day later as the date on my letter they MUST have it! She looked through pile and found my letter.... great. She then told me the only appointment date she had in X months. Pointed out my letter would have expired by then (the DAY before!)...... yep phone down.

So I found number for FAA customer services. Said they could not do anything about it. But got her managers name and number. So I called and explained what was happeneing. He said they were really busy and no longer doing the licence validation etc and I would have to use DPE. If only she had told me on first call I would not have been so :mad: by that point.

Used DPE and paid around $200 and he explained about needing a validation letter when ever I fly on the licence. Plastic licence arived about month later.

B2N2
21st Jun 2012, 14:05
He said they were really busy and no longer doing the licence validation etc and I would have to use FTO

Some of the busier FSDO's have started farming this out to Designated Pilot Examiners or DPE's who have to charge for their services.
Now in my mind that is a bad development but then again, nobody has asked for my opinion.
This process with the FAA has always been free and should remain a free courtesy service.
Unfortunately the FAA has had to deal with budget cuts which have lead to the merging of FSDO's resulting in overworked and understaffed monster offices.

rtl_flyer
21st Jun 2012, 14:26
Some of the busier FSDO's have started farming this out to Designated Pilot Examiners or DPE's who have to charge for their services.
Now in my mind that is a bad development but then again, nobody has asked for my opinion.
This process with the FAA has always been free and should remain a free courtesy service.
Unfortunately the FAA has had to deal with budget cuts which have lead to the merging of FSDO's resulting in overworked and understaffed monster offices.

Yes, that is what Miami have done - I should have said DPE in my post - have corrected. Agree annoying as it costs in the region of $200 rather than free!

cessnapete
21st Jun 2012, 15:32
I had my new 61.75 FAA PPL/IR issued by one of the UK resident FAA DPE recently. (Works through the New York FSDO)
All very efficent and quickly done. More than $200, but a lot less than a trip to USA!
The paperwork is now online, done through the FAA IACRA (Integrated Airman Certification Rating Application)

Cusco
21st Jun 2012, 16:43
Google Dr Janeen Kochan: She's a DPE based in Florida but who comes to UK occasionally to do FAA flight tests and issue 61.75 licences under the auspices of NY FSDO.

Unless they've stopped her coming again.

She did my piggyback paper to plastic conversion a coupla years ago.

Or have a look through here

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/439535-new-faa-designated-pilot-examiner-europe.html

Cusco

AC11
21st Jun 2012, 17:34
I had this same problem with Miami. Could not get a sensible answer out of them over several months. Then whilst already inFloirda I arranged to visit the Orlando office a week later and temporary licence issued within 30 minutes. Plastic licence arrived in post back in the UK 2 weeks later, free of charge.
All in all a very pleasany experience at Orlando after a nightmare in Miami.

B2N2
21st Jun 2012, 18:10
As far as I am aware she has been stopped from coming to Europe.
Malicious rumors have it that a certain UK based FAA authorized examiner complained about her trips to NW Europa as it "infringed" on his region/business.
As stated, I'm sure it is all malicous rumours and backstabbing.......:E maybe

Cusco
21st Jun 2012, 19:01
If it's who I think it is then I'm not surprised she's been stopped.

His website has more red ink, upper case and exclamation marks then I've ever seen on a professional website.

Cusco.

Zulu Alpha
22nd Jun 2012, 09:35
If you've got a week spare then you could always get a standalone licence.
There are a few written tests and a flight test, none of which are very difficult. As long as you have the required experience cross countries etc. then when you pass the test the examiner gives you a temporary licence.

There are less restrictions and its quite easy to keep it validated in the UK.

custardpsc
22nd Jun 2012, 14:11
To answer the OP, yes you need to go to a FSDO or a DPE who has the foreign pilot examiner designation. FSDO requires nomination in advance and an appointment made in advance. No you can't fly straight away, you need to have a BFR regardless of your currency.

The advice to take a flight test is a good one but you won't get the required training on FAA manouervres and the consequent sign off for checkride without TSA approval of the training (initial licence rule)

Maoraigh1
22nd Jun 2012, 19:29
If you've got a week spare then you could always get a standalone licence.
I thought you had to have a visa with clearance ( interview face to face)from the US Consulate before going to the US if doing this.

seat 0A
23rd Jun 2012, 09:45
Just for information, I had a great experience with the Oakland FSDO.
In and out in less then 20 minutes. Got my B777 rating on the piggyback as well!
For if I ever want to rent one ;)

custardpsc
23rd Jun 2012, 10:40
Maoraigh1 (http://www.pprune.org/members/196120-maoraigh1) - don't confuse TSA clearance (mandatory for initial license) with Visa requirements. Visa requirements are heavily debated in other threads here and in real life. Some circumstances don't require a visa, some allegedly don't require, some say its mandatory etc. The OP may be there on a work visa anyway. Truth is, its your circumstances that matter and you have to satisfy yourself and the immigration officer. It is true that a visa is required for a ppl course. However, one can take the checkride without a visa or TSA. Getting the required signoff to take the checkride counts as training though, and that is the problem. Also if you fail, you need signed off retraining to retake. In reality training will be required to get up to speed on FAA PTS/manoeuvres anyway. Much easier to do it all by the book.