PDA

View Full Version : Instructing circuit flying

Collater
1st Apr 2002, 16:52
I need help for an article I am writing about flying training from a (mature!) student perspective.

When it came to learning circuits, my instructor's approach was total immersion. In other words I had to fly a busy four minute circuit and do the checks and make all the radio calls from the start. This with full ATC, usually in blustery weather and with gliders and helicopters around just to keep me really busy.

After the first session, and with sweat dripping, I asked the instructor why circuit flying was not taught sequentially - fly the circuits first, then when competent add the checks then when that is together add the radio work. His response was to the effect that that was how it was done and probably based on RAF practice. From talking to other instructors in other clubs I gather that this is how circuits are usually taught.

As someone who trains trainers I do know and teach that we have different learning styles (David Kolb is the reference) and that trainers should modify their approach to meet the preferred style of the student. I learn best by reading up, listening and then trying it out - others learn better by doing.

Can anyone tell me why circuits are taught the way they are, please, and are instructors taught to take account of the varying learning styles? For anyone interested in learning a bit more of learning style theory there is a useful site at www/nwlink/~donclark/hrd/sat4.htm.

Thanks in anticipation

Tonkenna
1st Apr 2002, 17:50
Collater,

Well, thats not really how the RAF does it. The students are shown various aspects of the cct early on, with Ex 8 (everyones fav Climbing and Descendin 2) having the first major cct teach, ie the climbing and descending techniques used in the cct. By the end of ex 8 they should have been taught to take-off and land. The first cct trip is then ex 11, and I was taught to teach it backwards, ie start with sort finals and landing, then finals turn, then downwind, each time moveing further back until after a few they are doing it all. Seems to work.

Tonks :)

BEagle
1st Apr 2002, 18:55
Hi Tonks - was that you I hailed on Leu app last Wed?

The circuit should NEVER be taught other than by instalments. Since the last thing the student saw before Circuits 1 was probably Desc 2 and (hopefully) 'point and power', it makes sense to let the student fly the take-off, then demo everything up to and including roll out from the final turn. The bit after 'wings level, full flap, adjust attitude and trim to approach speed' is 'now point at the touchdown spot and keep that aiming mark - with the odd scan of IAS'. It goes 'Touchdown point - speed - touchdown point - speed........' Then you can move on to HOW to get there in the first place from the initial climb, then add the RT. The only new skill is the actual touchdown - but we want our students to be able to fly consistent circuits first!

Teaching the actual flare and touchdown is quite easy - so long as the student doesn't get tense or impatient! But it's a busy trip and flight instructors (civil) or QFIs in the military have to learn when to allow non-critical errors and when to take control at a late stage.

As a student you'll know when you're doing reasonably well because the FI will be feigning nonchalance - to get you ready for the moment when he/she says "That's it - I'm off. Do it yourself this time!"

CaptAirProx
2nd Apr 2002, 07:52
Collator, your instructor was being lazy. Plus their ego was probably growing at the sight of you struggling. Don't think thats instructing to me, rather lets show student how good I am. I would'nt pay for his ego if I were you. BEagle et al have got it right.
Incidently, I have used the throw em in the deep end bit a few times, but never the circuit. Usually with a cocky student who reckons VFR Nav is a piece of pee and just a formality. Then I just shut up and let them get on with it and stew! Bring em down to earth again and start from scratch. Then I teach with building blocks. Bit at a time.

Collater
7th Apr 2002, 10:08
Thanks for the responses. Certainly my instructor has no ego problem at all, being mature (67) and with many hours of flying. I did think, though, that he was perhaps a touch rigid in his teaching, but I have no real complaints with that. I learnt at a large school with around 30 instructors, mainly ex-airline pilots, and that seems to be the standard approach.

Of course there were briefings and I certainly had flown elements of the circuit requirements before the circuit-bashing routine, but once on to circuits it really was do everything in four minutes from the word GO.

I am going to post again with a different topic heading, not because I don't value the responses, but because I am now intrigued as to how instructors are trained to take account of individual learning styles.

Again many thanks for your collective help.

Incidentally, the articles should appear in Today's Pilot in a few months time.

jmore
7th Apr 2002, 10:53
a good understanding of the curcuit is dependant upon the explanation of all upper air work done before entering the pattern -a good explaination of why the approach to land/departure/trim/accelerated stall etc are taught as well as the teaching of ground ref. maneuveres prior to introduction in the pattern gives the student a "reason" and assists them in the understanding of pattern procedures -what infuriates me is people defeating the purpose of pattern flying by being out of glide range !

DFC
7th Apr 2002, 11:53
The training circuit is simply an easy way of practising all the exercises completed up to that point in a very efficient way.

It consists of;

Take-off and transition to climb.

Climb on constant heading

Climbing turn

Climb on constant heading and leveling off to straight and level flight.

Medium turn in level flight.

Straight and level flight

Medium turn in level flight.

Descent on constant heading at a fixed speed

Change in configuration (flap)

Descending turn with flap

Descent on constant heading at fixed speed

Change in configuration (flap)

Flare and landing.

The student should have demonstrated competence in all except the take-off and landing during the upper air work. They will also have completed most of the take-offs and many of the landings.

The trick is to concentrate on each stage at a time. Know where one stage ends and the next begins. Basically, Straight ahead, left turn to where the wing was pointing, left turn to where the wing was pointing, left turn to where the wing was pointing and left turn to line up with the runway.

Don't try to accomplish everything at once. The accuracy of the pattern is the last requirement.

That's my method.

Agree about pattern size. However if possible, I start big and then work in as this gives the student more time especially on base leg.

DFC

fireflybob
7th Apr 2002, 19:09
>I am now intrigued as to how instructors are trained to take account of individual learning styles<

I think quite a simple answer to this is very rarely!

There is definitely a psychology associated with teaching the circuit - as indeed there is wilth almost all instruction.

Firstly, it's essential that the student has seen a really good demonstration and in the early days, especially if a student is struggling, I redemonstrate a circuit every so often to a) give them a rest and b) give them a chance to take it all in again. I will often do a circuit demo on the first circuit of a circuit detail - all being well this will be a template of what I would like to see them copy!!

If in doubt I try to sit on my hands, zip my mouth up and let them get on with it - how many times have you made a comment only to regret it a short time later!

Another tactic is to do a landing and taxi back to the hold point - I take over to do the taxi and do a mini debrief as we return to the take off point. Probably the worst place to learn anything new is flying round the circuit!

I would never dream of throwing the whole lot at them on the first detail unless they had shown signs of being a superstar previously.

As has been stated previously we must assume that all the previous upper airwork has been properly completed - I find this to be rarely the case. Although I would be a supporter of doing dummy circuits at height I always get it across to the student that when they are in the real circuit the workload is higher and they will have to get on with it if they appear to be slow with the checks, etc.

I also teach them to conduct visualisation exercises at home - sit in your armchair and picture yourself flying the perfect circuit! Sketch the circuit out from memory and put down everything that you would do - show this to your instructor for comments - this can be very illuminating and spotlight misconceptions.

Hope this helps!

Centaurus
14th Apr 2002, 12:06
I favour letting the student initially fly the circuit and landings with no checklist items at all. Most flying schools insist on a ridiculous amount of unnecessary drills which only serve to daze the poor student and he spends most of his circuit trying to remember drills and never gets around to flying the aeroplane.

Later when he gets the hang of flying the circuit reasonably well, then you can teach him the important checks. Anything more than is recommended in the manufacturer's POH is usually too much.

I am sure that the secret to early solo is a reduction of checks to that necessary for safety. The Before Landing checks in a Boeing 767 are far less than those taught at some flying schools for a Cessna 150.

Chuck Ellsworth
14th Apr 2002, 16:41
Most flying schools have check lists with far to many items.

The circuit is a very good example, if the student were not head in cockpit reading and checking for redundant items they would be paying attention to flying the proper attitudes and looking for other traffic. Thereby improving situational awareness.

Most basic trainers such as Cessnas etc. have only two items that require attention during circuit flying, carb heat and flaps.

However by making the down wind check list almost as long as an annual inspection it does make the learning to fly the aircraft more time consuming. :) :)

:D The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.:D

Tinstaafl
14th Apr 2002, 19:32
I offload tasks until the student can cope with the workload. As his/her capability increases I add back those tasks I was doing for them.

If they need a wider circuit initially then fine, use a wider circuit to give a bit of extra thinking time. Sometimes I'll re-demo the circuit to keep in their mind a 'model' circuit.

A satisfactory ability to climb, turn, level off & descend are prerequisites to commencing circuits.

If a student is really struggling with those skills I'll return to the training area for additional practice. If the circuit is OK but the landing is their major trouble point then I'll modify the circuit, if possible, to increase the number landings per circuit - even if I have to fly the a/c to set up final.

Examples of this can be in a 90 deg. crossed runways configuration + calm wind conditions allowing a 'clover leaf' circuit, shortening the circuit time per landing. Other ways include tear drop circuits to give landings in alternate directions. Again, calm conditions etc are necessary.