PDA

View Full Version : FAF on singles

juswonnafly
1st Apr 2002, 13:12
I would appreciate any comments/advice please.

When teaching IMC stuff do you get your student to configure the a/c for approach at the FAF, just before, or maybe at DH (non precision). I did my I/R on twins and all this was done at the FAF but the approach does seem a bit slow in a single at 75 to 80 knots!

I know I should know the answer to this but to be honest I can't remember.

Cheers

JWF

Noggin
1st Apr 2002, 18:27
There really is no point configuring a light single that early. Fly the approach clean at 90 - 100 kts. If you use a DH of 500 ft and a MDH of 600 ft you have ample time to cofigure the aircraft for landing when you go visual. As you reach DH set 1500 rpm and maintain the glideslope, take flap as the speed decreases. Its no problem in a single from 230 ft.

IRRenewal
1st Apr 2002, 19:56
Agree, unless it is a retractable in which case I would dangle the Dunlops at the FAF (or at G/S intercept) but leave the flaps until becoming visual, or land flapless if it was for real.

A runway with an instrument approach is in general 1.5km+, and unless you fly a Malibu Mirage or so becoming visual at 250' at 'high' speed, slowing down to landing speed and landing flapless with half a runway to spare should not be an issue.

Cheers

juswonnafly
2nd Apr 2002, 05:09
Thanks guys, this is how I have been teaching it but a stude questioned me the other day and put doubt in my mind.

Much obliged.

JWF