PDA

View Full Version : College final year project ideas!!!

7even
15th Jun 2012, 16:44
Hi,

I am going into the final year of my Avionics degree and need to do a project. Thinking of doing a project related to cockpit display system or software solution. It'll be hugely helpful if some ideas were shared as I am getting no where myself :{

Also, if possible I am looking to use tools like matlab and simulink in the project...

Thanks a ton!!!

awblain
15th Jun 2012, 18:19
What about something that can do a best job of combining whatever GPS and air data information to help address what's going on in, for example, an AF447 situation? Triggered by a sort of information panic button?

There should be lots of interpretation and presentational challenges to address - maybe far too many!

Dan Winterland
16th Jun 2012, 01:13
What, something like the Airbus Back Up Speed Scale (BUSS)?

Not fitted the AF447 aircraft incidently!

Big Pistons Forever
16th Jun 2012, 01:31
One area which doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention is ELT's. The satellite is not listening to the 121.5 signal anymore and the replacement 406 ELT's are 5 times the price and don't work any better then the old 121.5 ELT's. Not to mention they are yesterdays technology.

Except for the New Zealand "Spider Tracks" system, nobody seems to getting really serious about a real time automatic GPS tracking solution that would have auto alerting and track history at a price point that would work for all of GA (ie less than 500 dollars).

Tinstaafl
16th Jun 2012, 03:59
I want a music input that only mutes when my callsign is received. It's bloody annoying when my music mutes with lots of radio chatter that has nothing to do with me...

autoflight
16th Jun 2012, 04:59
Compare avionics back-up architecture between two significant airliners, like A320 and B737 late versions. That could keep you busy for a year; ie on an A320 the 2 engine driven alternators, ATM, RAT & its hydraulic / electric power and finally 30 minutes of battery power. Explore the full avionics available and how it is degraded on progressively lowered power supply levels. Also include the influence on flight control laws and other equipment and displays with loss of 2 radio altimeters and other computers like FMGC.

Its a while since I was A320 current, but I am sure you could see a great deal of research is required. If a second airliner was also part of the study, the comparisons would make rivetting reading. The advantage of 2 aircraft might be that a really deep level of research might be somewhat reduced by concentrating on the differences.

Pick aircraft that many pilots have flown. That would make your information gathering and understanding a litte easier. If you chose A380 and B787 it would be more difficult.

If this type of project is too ambitious, You might just pick something like A320 FMGC and the very considerable part they play in aircraft control and information display to crew. Reduced FMGC availability with degrading electrical power or other equipment failure would also need to be covered.

Just a few examples. Double FMGC failure results in auto pilot inop, loss of route information display and loss of auto tuning of navaids. Meaning hand flying is required, plus ready access to nav charts for some older style navigation if radar assistance or visual navigation is not available. If that is not a sufficient effort you could compare FMGC operation between 2 different aircraft.

Aircraft manufacturers could be helpful in providing copies of flight manuals or arrange access to part of a pilot or ground engineer course.

When my son was 10 years old he begged me to suggest a science project for school. My throw away line was "build a laser beam". There were protests that he was just a kid, but I didn't offer another suggestion, so he actually built one.

Like him, you can take it or leave it, but remember, you asked.