PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Descent

El Peligroso
1st Apr 2002, 09:31
Consider a decompression follwed by the dreaded dirty dive. In a Radar environment, as an ATC would you prefer the aircraft to remain on assigned squawk or change squawk code to 7700?:confused:

Mr Moderator, I have placed this here, and not in the questions forum, so that I can get max input from air traffic controlers.

WetFeet
1st Apr 2002, 09:39
If you have time then 7700, but save the aircraft first!!!!!!

:eek:

bagpuss lives
1st Apr 2002, 09:52
As has already been said - give the crew plenty of time etc etc but if and when possible 7700 come's in handy to warn units / airfields below and surrounding the descent.

Priority is to get traffic out of the way so the aircraft can continue the drop to whatever level sub-FL100 whilst obviously trying to assist the crew in any way possible.

Like WetFeet said - save the aircraft first - the SSR can follow when you know everything else is OK :D

ferris
1st Apr 2002, 13:25
Definately squawk if you can. It immediately gets our attention (we may not have noticed the dirty dive yet), and immediately dispels any doubt about your intentions. We have had 2 incidents lately where aircraft were descended by the wrong control unit, or took the descent instruction for someone else. Your initial reaction is to assume an emergency, but 7700 is unambiguous.

NorthernSky
1st Apr 2002, 15:31
A very important reason for squawking 7700 in these circumstances is that this will' force' your SSR returns through filters on radar displays, where height filters are in use. This will enable controllers working sectors beneath the one you're in, to see you coming!

straccaletto
1st Apr 2002, 19:09
All replies are interesting and add something to a sometimes forgetten situation.
But for me the real problem is another: is the acft with such a problem turning left or right to descend?
I know, but is something more close to a legend than a real knowledge , that some carrier train their pilots to turn on the side of the Pilot Flying.
Is it a general rule?
Are there different standards?
Is possible to reach an agreement on a general rule so that the controller working knows which is the side that could be interested by a sudden descent, and work specifically on that side?
TKS for the attention
Ciao to all

NorthernSky
1st Apr 2002, 19:31
Only by ICAO and the Americans agreeing a safe solution and doing a proper risk assessment and CBA on it and then getting every carrier worldwide to agree........

So that's a 'no' then.

chiglet
1st Apr 2002, 19:32
As has been said [on other threads]. Fly the aeroplane!
Then, if Two crew, PIC flies. PNF [when able] does SSR, R/T, and then mops the Captains brow:) . Seriously though. Sort yourselves out but let ATC know any probs ASAP. it will help you [and us]
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Scott Voigt
2nd Apr 2002, 01:10
Actually I wouldn't mind seeing the 7700 code, but would much rather hear from you to find out what your intentions are so that we can adequately plan and try to get folks out of the way. That and get you turned to a safe place as well as to an airfield. That said, what everyone else said. FLY THE AIRCRAFT FIRST <G>. But make us a very close second please...

regards

El Peligroso
2nd Apr 2002, 03:39
Thank you very much for yor comments.

There is sometimes a mixed feeling on this as some would argue that ATC have you under radar control and would prefer you to maintain the current allocated squawk code to avaoid confusion.

From your replies, I guess that going 7700 is what you would like.

;)

Over+Out
2nd Apr 2002, 10:11
Agree with all other replys. Fly the plane first and as soon as possible squawk 7700. When you can, talk to us, in todays environment we need to know what you are doing!
When sqwaking 7700, our radars( London Control) will retain your callsign conversion flashing SOS.