PDA

View Full Version : [US] Monthly/quarterly renter's insurance

matthewlai
12th Jun 2012, 22:48
Hello!

I am a student pilot about to solo, and so my flight school requires me to get renter's insurance.

However, I'm from Canada, and only have about 3 months left in the US, so I don't really want to get an annual policy if possible.

Does anyone know of any insurance company that does monthly/quarterly renter's insurance policies?

Thanks!

Katamarino
13th Jun 2012, 08:16
I looked for this and never found any. You can, I think, buy a year's policy, cancel after a few months, and get 50% back.

7of9
13th Jun 2012, 10:11
Yup that's what I do to fly in the US. Buy a years policy, then when vacation over unless next years is within the policy in force, cancel & you get 50% of your fee back.

Trev

matthewlai
13th Jun 2012, 17:13
Oh ok! I think I will do that, then.

Thanks!
Matthew

Maoraigh1
13th Jun 2012, 19:55
Who do this insurance? (For Aliens) I'm interested in it. I never found a source - but got FBO to arrange some cover. (Liability limit written)

matthewlai
13th Jun 2012, 20:02
My FBO and instructor recommend Avemco. I just emailed them and they confirmed that they can do the 50% refund thing.

I'm an alien (from Canada) and they certainly don't mind. Just need to submit a copy of passport (scan).

Maoraigh1
13th Jun 2012, 20:28
In 2010 they wouldn't consider me. Discussed it at their stall at Rocky Mtn Fly-in.

7of9
13th Jun 2012, 23:55
AOPA Aircraft Insurance (http://www.aopaia.com/renters_start.cfm)

i use these.

trev:ok:

Maoraigh1
14th Jun 2012, 19:41
I clicked on your link. I note the addresses must be in a Lower 48 US state - phone if your address is Alaska or Hawaii.

Katamarino
14th Jun 2012, 21:20
I used AOPA, by phone. They were happy to insure me, just needed a US address, which could be the FBO.

david viewing
15th Jun 2012, 09:34
The poilcy on Aliens has definitely changed this year (at last). Avemco have modified their site so that you drop out of the online application when you answer a question about being a US resident (or citizen? - can't remember which). You go to an offline submission where you get a personal quote. This was quick and efficient.

Some years ago I did get a quote out of AOPA (the broker) after raising cane with various people in AOPA (the pilot's association) but it was quite loaded. They told me at that time they they did not normally cover foreigners. I cut a better deal with my trusted FBO.

This years cover from Avemco did not seem to be loaded over what a US person would pay. However, they still require an accomodation US address as well as your genuine foreign one and insisted on putting the accomodation address on the cover note that they emailed. I presume that they are making it clear to the underwriters that they are insuring a foreigner.

(edited to add that this reluctance to cover foreigners might be nothing more than an insurer's requirement to have a zip code - many Americans find it hard to believe that some people in the world don't have them!!)

riverrock83
15th Jun 2012, 10:47
many Americans find it hard to believe that some people in the world don't have them!!)
Yeah - lived in Chicago for a while where you can pay for fuel at the pump in most garages (I'm talking about cars...) but you have to enter your zip code into the pump to do it. Doesn't work so well with a British credit card (same as trying to buy things online :sad:).

dublinpilot
15th Jun 2012, 11:29
Many people and organisations in the UK find it difficult to believe that some places don't have a postcode ;)

I'm often forced to make up a post code to order online from the UK.