PDA

View Full Version : Mishap on takeoff at Netherthorpe

Alogan
11th Jun 2012, 10:36
Looks like there is another aeroplane-shaped hole in the EGNF hedge... Glad to see there were no casualties:

Light aircraft crash at Netherthorpe - Local news - Dinnington Guardian (http://www.dinningtontoday.co.uk/news/local-news/light-aircraft-crash-at-netherthorpe-1-4633064)

mad_jock
11th Jun 2012, 11:10
Nealry done that myself there.

I have never understood how Neitherthorpe managed to get round the runway length performance critria for training airfields.

Art E. Fischler-Reisen
11th Jun 2012, 11:58
Another one on its roof then. The Netherthorpe magnetic hedges are well known but the attraction is obviously getting stronger this year in particular.... or maybe the wet ground was another factor. Short wet grass always needs to be taken into account but what factor for soft boggy mud....? :p

piperboy84
11th Jun 2012, 14:18
how long is the strip?

Jan Olieslagers
11th Jun 2012, 14:44
Suppose the AIP can tell?

Fostex
11th Jun 2012, 14:46
Have a VFR flight guide beside me...

RWY TORA LDA
06 476 407
24 490 370
18 382 357
36 382 309

As Paul, would say 'not alot', particularly if you're fat and close to MTOW.

Aspiring Pilot Alex
11th Jun 2012, 15:03
I have been to the airfield today for some IMC training. The aircraft is G-PHLY and is a complete write off. Apparently it was an aborted take-off and went through the hedge, but the reason for this wasn't told to me. They are completely gutting the aircraft of all salvageable parts and avionics. The fuselage was in two pieces (tail section completely off). All occupants are said to be ok.

Alex

Art E. Fischler-Reisen
11th Jun 2012, 15:10
That's one of the Phoenix aircraft this time then.

Shame, it was OK on Saturday evening when I walked past it. :sad:

piperboy84
11th Jun 2012, 15:18
Which runway was in use at the time?

Aspiring Pilot Alex
11th Jun 2012, 15:21
It was runway 24 I believe, which is an up-sloping runway. It's a shame it was LY as that was the most kitted out aircraft in the fleet. Except the 172

Art E. Fischler-Reisen
11th Jun 2012, 15:42
No point in replanting the hawthorn hedge on the upwind end!

Over the years I've helped push two other aircraft out of the farmer's field beyond the road off 24.... and one off the other end. Another came very close to hitting me in my car. The wing came through the hedge into the road, as the pilot ground looped it in an attempt to stop it crossing the road after landing two thirds of the way up 06 with a tailwind. If I hadn't accelerated it would have hit me.

I watched another pilot land his Cub very short on the hedge and bounced off - very lucky to get away with it, too!

EGNF certainly sorts out the good pilots... ;)

much2much
11th Jun 2012, 17:50
seen few there ,on chap from down sout and his mate managed three in one week,crashed a twin; mate came to collect him through the hedge,came back up to view in a gruman lost the nose wheel,
slow learner,

7of9
13th Jun 2012, 00:10
All OK, but shakey. A 17 year old with long range tanks with loads of fuel, no headwind and allegadly with the carb heat out although he claims 65kt roll and wouldn't pull up. Anyway, all OK and more lessons learnt.

From another forum.

Trev