PDA

View Full Version : Newbie flying question

dinophyler
7th Jun 2012, 20:46
Alright, I know I will sound stupid for asking this, but is one supposed to use the rudder in conjunction with the ailerons while turning in the air? I keep seeing conflicting answers, as some people say that in the air, only the ailerons are needed to turn and the rudder is only used for cross wind correction and crab alignment, while others say that both the ailerons and the rudder are used to make a turn.

If I remember correctly, turning with only the ailerons will cause a slip.

As you can clearly tell, I am all new to this stuff and have never flown before.

Intruder
7th Jun 2012, 21:24
It depends on the airplane. Most light airplanes require some coordinated rudder input, especially when rolling into and out of a turn. Large airplanes that have spoilers as well as ailerons do not require rudder input. Gliders, with their long wings and resulting adverse yaw, need a LOT of rudder to start and stop the turn.

Some airplanes, notably the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk with its delta wing, turn well with rudder alone, especially at low airspeeds.

MarkerInbound
7th Jun 2012, 23:28
A6, remember those large planes have yaw dampers which do the rudder work for us pilots.

dinophyler
8th Jun 2012, 00:48
So the yaw damper moves the rudder during a turn? Can you see or feel the rudder pedals moving during a turn though? Thanks for your answers, the only experience I have of flying planes is riding in them.

sevenstrokeroll
8th Jun 2012, 01:03
Dear Dino

YES you should use the rudder and ailerons in a coordinated fashion to make turns.

Do you need to? Well, most planes will get around without it, but why not do it right?

Warp drag, or adverse aileron yaw as it is now known is a real thing. There are many books to understand why the rudder is used. May I suggest that you:

buy and read "Stick and Rudder". (though he makes a case for designing the rudder OUT of planes)

and find and see the film: "The Winds of Kitty Hawk"

The Wright brothers, the true inventors of the airplane" developed a method to coordinate turns using aileron/wing warping and rudder...it was this method of control that allowed for airplanes to work...it is the basis of their patent on controls of planes.

IF you are taking lessons, your instructor isn't doing enough for you.

Rudder is used for many applications including crosswind landings, engine out procedures in most (not all...see multi engine planes like C337, Lear FAn, BAC Lightning) multi engine planes, and to counter adverse aileron yaw and in swept wing planes: dutch roll.

Rudder can even be used to ''slip'' a plane into a landing.

IF you truly want to fly a plane without using rudder, see the Ercoupe/Aircoupe built without rudders as a safety plane (some have been modified) with the only pedal on the floor being for the wheel brakes.

barit1
8th Jun 2012, 01:23
There are planes like the Piper PA-22 which have interconnected (via springs) rudder and ailerons. Either rudder pedals or wheel may be used to give an acceptable coordinated turn - although more precision (i.e. keeping the slip ball centered) is had by using both together.

And of course slips and skids are still possible, although you are fighting the springs.

My experience with most high-wing light aircraft is that mild turns can be made using rudder only, if you aren't in a hurry.

dinophyler
8th Jun 2012, 02:04
But in a jet, say a 737, a coordinated turn is accomplished automatically with the yaw damper, and all the pilot needs to do is apply aileron, right?

Intruder
8th Jun 2012, 03:14
That is the case with some airplanes, as MarkerInbound indicated. Again, configurations vary. IIRC, on the 747 Classic the yaw damper provided turn coordination only when the flaps were extended. On the 744, it provides turn coordination full time. It does not provide feedback to the rudder pedals, though; they do not move with yaw damper inputs.

HazelNuts39
8th Jun 2012, 08:35
Speed is also relevant. Generally, for any given airplane configuration, more rudder is required at low speed and less at high speed.