PDA

View Full Version : Classic aircraft

mary meagher
7th Jun 2012, 20:42
First on my list would be the Dakota. Still in everyday use, and reliable as ever, if you can shut the door on the cargo it will still take off...

The Spitfire must share honours with the Hurricane; our Continental friends might nominate something different from that era.

Third, the Catalina.

Fourth on my list would be the 747. Alas, the Concorde never proved so enduring.

And fifth, my own PA18, now being flown at White Waltham. I miss it so much. Slow flying over the summer scenery, with doors wide open, banked right over to starboard for the best effect... Piper Cubs first designed back in the l930s, and still used today tugging gliders, banners, flying on floats and skis, the chariot of choice for Alaska, or Africa for that matter.

What's on your list?

Echo Romeo
7th Jun 2012, 21:57
High on my list would be the Avro Lancaster, and the Hawker Hunter, is there a better looking jet?

Pilot DAR
7th Jun 2012, 22:04
Feisler Storch and Westland Lysander.

Big Pistons Forever
7th Jun 2012, 22:08
-Spitfire
-Tigercat
-Lockheed Constellation
-Martin Mars
-Hawker Hunter

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Jun 2012, 22:12
Well first has to be the Spitfire - probably second only to Concorde as the most beautiful aeroplane ever, standing still or in flight. The Hurricane was a bus in comparison - a Fury with the top wing removed and the thick wooden lower wing still on. It was the major scorer in the Battle of Britain, but only because at that time the RAF didn't have enough Spitfires.

The DC3 of course is there as well. As is the Tiger Moth (though as I know from experience it's not the best handling aeroplane - the Chipmunk takes that accolade for me).

Of the Cubs, it has to be the J3 (or, in my experience, L4 military version). Simple, but so 'right'.

The Lancaster and Mosquito would be my piston bomber choices, and the fabulous Vulcan my jet bomber choice.

Jet fighters - the Hunter for its grace and the Lightning for its brutality.

And the Harrier of course. So much more elegantly KISS than that modern US VSTOL thing.

The 747 because it changed the airline industry.

Concorde was just the pinnacle. Not really a classic as it was unique in what it did, just the best ever thing that flew. It suffered political pressures and assassination, the US and USSR tried to do it and failed, and it gave us almost 30 years of regular London - NY in just over 3 hours.

4.5 hours at M2 is something unheard of before or since, even ignoring it did it with 100 champagne-slurping shirt-sleeve luxuxry customers on board. And to this day it's the only aeroplane to fly the Atlantic supersonic (double supersonic, actually), without in-flight refuelling.

So for me Concorde is the pinnacle of flight, the classics follow in its wake. ;)

rats404
8th Jun 2012, 07:12
Some favourites of mine already listed. However, what about the Shorts Sunderland?

Recently saw Kermit Weeks' one in Florida. I've always liked it since I built an Airfix one as a wee lad.

Imagine the holidays you could have! Canada would be ideal as a base. Nice kip in the bunks with the waves lapping against the hull, a good fry up brekkie with a big mug of builder's tea from the galley, then off for some sightseeing across British Columbia before alighting on a (big) lake and mooring up for the night.

Sigh...

treadigraph
8th Jun 2012, 07:13
All of the above plus Bearcat, Corsair (R2800 powered, not the SLUF!) and Sea Fury - oh, and the DC-6 surely warrants inclusion!

Jan Olieslagers
8th Jun 2012, 08:36
If a bit of chauvinism can be tolerated: SV4 for me!

Heston
8th Jun 2012, 08:54
No-one has mentioned the Sopwith Camel yet.

H

Rod1
8th Jun 2012, 09:01
No mention of the Jodel – very important European aircraft and really good to fly.

Rod1

rtl_flyer
8th Jun 2012, 09:11
My list is simple :
Staggerwing
Staggerwing
Staggerwing
Staggerwing
Percival Mew Gull - having just spotted above would love to fly one. Maybe next build project?

BackPacker
8th Jun 2012, 09:11
SR71
Cri-Cri (possibly the smallest aircraft ever made that could carry a person, and a classic for that reason alone)

It flies
8th Jun 2012, 09:25
Cri-Cri (possibly the smallest aircraft ever made that could carry a personI think the Davis DA-11 just beats it. Watch out for the slogan "Mower power to the people". :ok:

UU5L8IIq4Zk

BackPacker
8th Jun 2012, 09:36
Okay, that one then... :-)

rtl_flyer
8th Jun 2012, 09:38
Cri-Cri (possibly the smallest aircraft ever made that could carry a person, and a classic for that reason alone)

Rare to see one for sale....
CRI-CRI For sale (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=22891&imid=2)

The500man
8th Jun 2012, 09:43
If we're including military stuff then:

Hawker Siddeley Harrier
Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk

Both famous for different reasons.

Also even though it's not really a classic; Pitts Model 12. There's just something about a Pitts with a radial engine that I like!

foxmoth
8th Jun 2012, 09:48
There are so many

No-one has mentioned the Sopwith Camel yet.

I was thinking the same until I saw your post, that or the Pup.Even earlier, Avro 504.
Tiger Moth, OK, but the dH60 is much nicer and that along with the Fox, Rapide and Chippie for dH. Spitfire and Mossie for me in the WW2 types, plus Typhoon Tempest or Sea Fury -can't make my mind up which one.
Hunter, yes, though I did think the Gnat suited the Reds, and the Harrier.
Not really a fan of Airliners, but Concorde was just soooooo gorgeous:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jun 2012, 10:25
Hurricane, and if anybody ever wants to offer me a Spitfire flight, I'd not turn it down.

Supermarine Scimitar - for the sole reason that my Dad used to build 'em.

For me however the fascination is not so much in getting to fly something unique, but in gettting to learn about it. So I'd love to fly and analyse any of the Lympne air race aeroplanes, and having flown two later derivatives, an original Flying Flea.

In recent years for example I got to fly an Auster and an Aeronca Chief, both with an element of flight testing about them, and both needing some days of reading into the aeroplane and preparation. That, culminating in a successful flight and a meaningful outcome is where I get my real kick. Just getting a ride isn't enough for me.

For which reason my real dream is one day to do the first flight of a completely new design, which would mean more to me that any vintage aeroplane - however much fun that is (although have flown the Cub, Stinson, Harvard, Auster, Hunter, Aeronca Chief, and a few others, so have scratched that itch to a fair extent).

Test flying homebuilt and vintage aeroplanes is one of the few things I'll normally do for free!

G

what next
8th Jun 2012, 11:09
Hi!

Concorde. Always and forever, truly, madly, deeply. (Which I don't really consider a „classic“ as it is more or less of the same vintage as the Citation I fly at work...)

And the ones that I would really want to fly in, at least once:

- Demoiselle (the only one from the really old ones that could tempt me)
- Hurricane (although I hate everything connected with the two world wars, but the Hurricane is simply a marvellous piece of engineering)
- Super Constellation (somewhere in Florida one can still get type-rated on one, maybe one day when I win the lottery...)
- Hawker Seahawk, the cutest little jet flighter (together with the Gnat maybe) ever built. Again, if I ever win the lottery, I might consider building a replica, but with a modern (quieter) engine, otherwise they won't let me fly with it.

Happy landings,
max

Rocket2
8th Jun 2012, 12:17
Current for grace & beauty; a VC-10
Past for grace, beauty & speed; a Hunter
In my dreams; gimme a TSR-2!
For sheer fun; a Chipmunk or Decathlon is about all I can afford to fly.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jun 2012, 12:37
I can only assume that none of you have actually flown the ergonomic horribleness that is/was the Hawker Hunter. Particularly in manual!

G

Dan the weegie
8th Jun 2012, 14:31
F4 Phantom
Cessna Bird Dog
Boeing 707
AN-2
P-41
Spitfire
Sea Fury
Piper Cub - although I own (1952) one and it's lovely!

david viewing
8th Jun 2012, 14:32
what about the Shorts Sunderland

There's one sitting in the rain in Auckland (and a Solent - your choice). They don't have room inside for them - make an offer!

Ultra long hauler
8th Jun 2012, 15:20
Well first has to be the Spitfire - The Hurricane was a bus in comparison
You reckon they are THAT different?
Am I insulting people when I say that from certain angles I can hardly tell them apart?

Okay, perhaps not my favorite, but we can´t really deny the 172 her spot in this classic thread! They started flying in 1958..........
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3820316/Screenshot%202012-06-08%20om%2010.08.09.jpg

Modern "classic" fighters: It´s hard to beat the lines of a F-16!

Classic fighters: although fighting on the "wrong" side, the double seater "109", the Messerschmidt 110; is quite a looker!

Airliners: Mm, yes, I have to go with the 747--> not the -200 though, the extended upper deck looks SO much better!

Last, but not least: it is my fullest intention to make my own little plane (built in 2011) a classic, so see you all in 40 years on PPRuNe??

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Shaggy Sheep Driver
8th Jun 2012, 15:29
You reckon they are THAT different?
Am I insulting people when I say that from certain angles I can hardly tell them apart?

Opposite ends of the spectrum. The Hurricane was the ultimate development of the pre-war Hawker bi-planes, with its thick wing and complex steel tube and wood construction. As such, it was already as developed as it could get.

The Spitife was 'new technology'; all-metal, stressed skin, thin wing. It went on through many marks of development and was still a front line fighter after WW2.

They can look similar at first glance, but the Hurri's thick wing and humped-back and more dumpy appearance than the sleeker eliptical-winged Spit are the give-aways.

kevmusic
8th Jun 2012, 15:53
For ULH's benefit:

Spitfire:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/kevmusic9/Spitpic.jpg

Hurricane:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/kevmusic9/hurricanepic.jpg

:rolleyes:

172driver
8th Jun 2012, 15:59
Super Constellation - one of the most beautiful airplanes ever built
Boeing 707 - you just gotta hear the roar (no hush kit!) on t/o
Concorde - THE transport jet of all time
Boeing 747 - with extended upper deck; will never forget sunrise over the Atlantic on the flight deck many, many moons ago when you could still visit the chaps at the pointy end!
SR71 & U2 - as close to Space as you'll get w/o a rocket (although the SR71 probably qualifies as one!)
Catalina - just a beauty

and, drum roll, of course...... the mighty C172! ;)

FullWings
8th Jun 2012, 16:02
A few classics:

Piper Cub
Ford Trimotor
Beech Staggerwing
DHC-1 Chipmunk
B-52
English Electric Lightning
Concorde
F-16

jxk
8th Jun 2012, 16:11
Shaggy Sheep Driver
The Spitfire was 'new technology'; all-metal, stressed skin, thin wing. It went on through many marks of development and was still a front line fighter after WW2.Recently, I was privileged to be able to inspect a Hurricane in it's 'raw' state and was surprised at how complex the fuselage construction is (based on Hawker Hart I believe) compared with the Spitfire. It would appear to me that the monocoque construction of the Spitfire was a lot simpler.

This got me wondering what the relative build times were for each type - anyone know?

gpugh
8th Jun 2012, 16:12
Hi just asked father who has flown most things

Piston/ Corsair followed by Seafury, followed by Seafire, followed by Chipmunk

Jets/ Hunter followed by Sea Vixen, followed by Sea Hawk

Shaggy Sheep Driver
8th Jun 2012, 19:03
Hi just asked father who has flown most things

Piston/ Corsair followed by Seafury, followed by Seafire, followed by Chipmunk

It's nice to see the aeroplane that's been part of my life (until recently) for 33 glorious flying years is highly rated by the guys who've flown some real exotica.

jxc
8th Jun 2012, 20:39
Cessna 195
Staggerwing

gpugh
8th Jun 2012, 20:41
Hi Shaggy Sheep we have spoken a lot in the past re Chipmunk and dads involvement with same, have you sold yours now ? ref your commeny until recently. Father did qualify his statement in that having flown the Corsair with the FAA and then flown the Seafury on exercises during Korea against US Marine and Navy squadrons who were still using the Corsairs, he says the Corsairs if flown by their best pilots would be able to outfight the Seafuries most of the time. He says the Seafire was lovely to fly as a "weekend" sports plane but horrible onto the carriers and the Chipmunk had nicely harmonized controls but was a bit underpowered and needed a decent inverted fuel system

gordon

Shaggy Sheep Driver
8th Jun 2012, 23:19
I'd agree with him on both counts. And I'd add that a CS prop would be good when aerobatting (constantly pulling back what little power there is to avoid overspeeding the engine in aeros does nothing for conserving height).

But with those changes it wouldn't be a Chippy, wouldn't have the character. That's why I flew a Yak52 for a few years. Missed the Chippy, though, and returned eagerly to my first love when the Yak group folded.

Sold my share in January this year. I miss the aeroplane, but not the hassle (mostly security and getting fuel etc) at John Lennon (no blame to L'pool ATC though - they were always highly professional and helpful to Chippy pilots, slipping us in between the big ones :ok: ).

Big Pistons Forever
9th Jun 2012, 00:43
I guess I need new glasses because I was sure I have seen people using "Cessna 172" and "classic" in the same sentence. :confused:

I just double checked and yup there are two posts with the C 172 included. Well the good news is my vision is OK....... but come on guys, the C172 is many things but it will never be a "classic" airplane :yuk:

Big Pistons Forever
9th Jun 2012, 00:49
I'd agree with him on both counts. And I'd add that a CS prop would be good when aerobatting (constantly pulling back what little power there is to avoid overspeeding the engine in aeros does nothing for conserving height).

But with those changes it wouldn't be a Chippy, wouldn't have the character. That's why I flew a Yak52 for a few years. Missed the Chippy, though, and returned eagerly to my first love when the Yak group folded.

I have flown 2 Chipmunks one with the Gypsy Major and another with a 180 hp Lycoming conversion. The Dripsy major was a major pain in the A*ss to operate and the aircraft was distinctly thrust challenged but it just looked and sounded "right". The Lycoming made it a better airplane in every way but the flat engine just ruined the lines of the aircraft. :{

Small Rodent Driver
9th Jun 2012, 08:31
For me it would be:-

YAK-3 (just looks soooooo sexy)
Spitfire (My big brother used to work on the BBMF when I were a nipper)
Hurricane
P-51 B
Hunter
Vulcan
HP Victor
Chipmunk (For the same reasons as Shaggy)
J3 / L4 Cub (It would have to be eh Vince?)
Jungmeister
Jungmann (For the same reason as the Cub)
Pitts S1
Cessna 172 (It may be boring but it does look pretty)

NazgulAir
9th Jun 2012, 21:30
Flying a Spitfire, Hurricane or P51 or a Lockheed Lightning will forever be beyond my means I think. I've come to terms with having to admire them from the ground.
Much more feasible would be to fly these (not impossible if I really go for it, the main obstacle being money):
- Dragon Rapide
- Dakota (not the Piper but the DC3)
- Staggerwing
- Ryan
Even more feasible:
- Temco Swift
- Falco
Or get re-acquainted with some types I've flown before -- too long ago! It's high time to fly with the wheel at the right end again!
- DH Chipmunk
- Stampe
- Emeraude
- Piper Cub
- Rollason Condor
- KZII

As for more modern 'classics', I'd go for small. I'd love to try a BD-5 or a JM Miller duct pusher, or a Cri-Cri.
Or a Vampire... such a pity that squadron was broken up.
As for travelling, you can't do much better than what I am flying now, efficiency-wise.

abgd
9th Jun 2012, 22:11
The relative build times

The spitfire took about twice as long, mostly I believe because of the elliptical wing.

abgd
9th Jun 2012, 22:58
Well, if it's to be absolutely anything:

Spaceship 2...
X15...
A rigid wing - last time I looked the Aeros Stalker was the one to fly...
A BAE hawk low-level down the Welsh valleys...
And the vampire.

WaspJunior
9th Jun 2012, 23:20
That's weird Ultra long hauler, I owned PH-VHN in the mid 1980's a while after she came on the British register as G-BFPH. Strange to see her in her true colours, a lovely 172 with a silky smooth 0-300 Continental. Still flying at Gamston I believe.

Classic aircraft I'd love to try:

FW 190 (short nose, BMW radial).
Boeing (Stearman) PT13/17.
Hawker Hurricane.

Old Fella
10th Jun 2012, 04:29
Just cannot believe that nobody has mentioned the Lockheed Legend, the C130. First in service in 1956 and still in production. There surely has never been a more versatile airlifter built, which does not mean I do not think of the C47 (DC3) with similar admiration.

Tupperware Pilot
10th Jun 2012, 06:53
The J-3....and I'm not just saying that because I have one.....:ok:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7129/7014845413_e759af4b56.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tupperware_pilot/7014845413/) B&W edit of my new toy... (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tupperware_pilot/7014845413/) by Air Frame Photography (http://www.flickr.com/people/tupperware_pilot/), on Flickr

goldeneaglepilot
10th Jun 2012, 07:33
Tupperware pilot - they are nice aircraft to have a share of. Are there any more shares free in the AF Group?

foxmoth
10th Jun 2012, 11:03
Chipmunk had nicely harmonized controls but was a bit underpowered and needed a decent inverted fuel system
agree with this and the comments by Shaggy I'd agree with him on both counts. And I'd add that a CS prop would be good when aerobatting (constantly pulling back what little power there is to avoid overspeeding the engine in aeros does nothing for conserving height).

The aircraft that I think fits this is the RV8, possibly some of the others in the RV stable as well, but do not really know these, and, nice as it is, too new to be a classic (yet).

Ultra long hauler
10th Jun 2012, 17:41
come on guys, the C172 is many things but it will never be a "classic" airplane :yuk:

Over 50 years in production, having been sold more than any other type and NOT a classic?
I guess we are playing semantics when it comes to the word "classic"; because in my book it is!

That's weird Ultra long hauler, I owned PH-VHN in the mid 1980's a while after she came on the British register as G-BFPH. Strange to see her in her true colours, a lovely 172 with a silky smooth 0-300 Continental. Still flying at Gamston I believe.

Haha, I just googled 172 and chose a "classic" looking one, with a Dutch registration! Small world..........

For ULH's benefit:

Spitfire:

Hurricane:

Thanks Kev, but sorry: I don´t see the big difference!
They´re both lookers though!

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Big Pistons Forever
10th Jun 2012, 18:30
I owned PH-VHN in the mid 1980's a while after she came on the British register as G-BFPH. Strange to see her in her true colours, a lovely 172 with a silky smooth 0-300 Continental. Still flying at Gamston I believe.

PH-VHN is 1970's vintage C 172 with a lycoming engine. You can tell from the square rear side windows, the fairing over the tubular main gear and the fat exhaust pipe out the right side of the cowling. (The Contintental 0 300 engine powered ones had oval side windows, unfaired flat main gear springs and two small exhaust pipes on the bottom of the cowl). It also has the 1973 factory paint scheme.

WaspJunior
10th Jun 2012, 18:56
@ Big Pistons Forever, It is probably because it is a French assembled one that the differences occur. I can assure you that it has got an O-300 engine. From the register:

Mark:G-BFPH Current Reg. Date:14/12/2005
Previous ID:PH-VHN

Manufacturer:REIMS AVIATION SA
Type:REIMS CESSNA F172K
Serial No.:0802

Popular Name:SKYHAWK
Generic Name:172
Aircraft Class:FIXED-WING LANDPLANE
EASA Category:CS-23E: Normal and Utility Category Aeroplane
Engines (Propellers):1: 1 x CONTINENTAL MOTORS CORP O-300-D ( MCCAULEY 1C172/EM7653 )

MTOW:1043kg Total Hours: 8734 at 31/12/2010
Year Built:1971

Chuck Ellsworth
10th Jun 2012, 19:02
WaspJunior::

:D:D:D:D

'India-Mike
10th Jun 2012, 19:14
Well, in the unobtainable class....Gloster Gladiator

In the nearly obtainable class....the Beaver. I've had two passenger trips in the Beaver (well 3 if I include a stopover at Saltspring Island en-route to Vancouver from Pat Bay). What an impressive lifter, even on floats. The sound and the feel of being airborne was visceral. I'd love to have a shot at flying one

As an aero engineer and a pilot, I have to say the Cessna 172 is a true design classic. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Had the opportunity of flying an amphibian version yesterday (off land and water) and it just solidified my impression of the design. A true classic

For the perverts amongst us, I think the Robinson R22 is a classic - well, a classic piece of design at least. Frank Robinson is an engineering genius

I haven't mentioned the Chipmunk - that's because I'm a part-owner of one. It's good; it's very good, even without inverted oil/fuel, vp prop and another 40 hp. But to my mind it's not a classic, just a very very nice little aeroplane that did its job extremely well

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jun 2012, 19:26
Hmm, 172.

It is an incredibly effective and safe aeroplane, for touring or training. I have occasionally actually enjoyed flying one.

However, I'm afraid that for me it is basically the aeronautical equivalent of intercourse whilst wearing an extra thick condom. Utterly safe, and basically enjoyable - but changing just about anything would make it more satisfying.

G

'India-Mike
10th Jun 2012, 19:28
Tut tut G...and you're an engineer too:E

Big Pistons Forever
10th Jun 2012, 20:14
Well you learn something new everyday. All American built C 172,s after 1967 had Lycomings engines but it seems the Reims built aircraft kept the Continentals until the early 1970,s. I assume that was because they wanted to keep the European built Rolls Royce Continentals over having to buy US built Lycomings.

I will second your comments about the engine being very smooth if properly maintained.

As for its status as a "Classic" .........well we will have to agree to disagree on that :)

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jun 2012, 20:35
I have found the Reims Rocket - a fuel injected, VP prop equipped, 210hp FR172J as something of an improvement upon the standard US versions. But it is however still a 172.

G

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Jun 2012, 08:29
Re the 172 - I have to agree with Ghengis. I've spent many hours driving various marks of 172 around the sky and they have always failed to inspire. Competant, safe.... elevator is quite nice, flaps on the older ones (40 degrees) are excellent, but oh those vague ailerons, stiff and unco-ordinated rudder, and everything else that makes it what it is.

Bit of a rice pudding, I'm afraid. :sad:

What concerns me about this, the similarly dull PA28, and a few others colloqually known as 'spam cans' is that many PPLs have probably never experienced anything else and think all aeroplanes are like that.

They are not! There are lots of delightful machines out there, Lotus Elises compared to Ford Cortinas, many with the little wheel at the other end!