PDA

View Full Version : Avionics shop in Scotland

piperboy84
7th Jun 2012, 13:27
Anyone know of a avionics shop/person in Scotland that can troubleshoot a whiney PMA Intercom system?

Dan the weegie
7th Jun 2012, 14:11
Danny at Mendelsohns? Not sure if he does house calls but always very helpful.

maxred
7th Jun 2012, 14:15
Stuart Scott at Tayside Dundee:ok:

mrmum
7th Jun 2012, 20:05
Used to use them (doug & him) all the time, when they were scot-avionics. No complaints about the quality, but became significantly more expensive once they became part of Tayside. Although that may have coincided with all the EASA Part-M sh**e, can't remember exactly.

piperboy84
7th Jun 2012, 20:26
Thanks for the info, rather embarrassingly I have fixed the problem myself by using the time tested method of RTFM !

mad_jock
7th Jun 2012, 21:25
Spill the beans, then the rest of us dont have to read it

piperboy84
8th Jun 2012, 15:58
Well I guess these fancy new PS Engineering IC units do a bit more than patch/isolate the headphone jacks to the radios, they have all kinds of new fangled features like hooking up mobile phones, ipods, external music sources recording capabilities etc, (this technology is completely beyond me, I still have a VCR under my telly that has been flashing "12:00 AM" for the last few decades)

Anyway, I if you DON'T actually have an external music source plugged in you need to program the volume for the music input right down, if you don't when you are not transmitting or receiving you get an annoying loud whistling sound through the headphones that only goes away when you transmit or blow into the mike but returns 2 seconds after your transmission ends, For the last 3 months i have been whistling while i fly to remove this interference but decided after I had run out of songs and driven my right seat passenger insane with repeated renditions of Will You Go Lassie, Go I needed to actually figure out how to stop it for good.

A 2 minute reading of the manual got me pointed in the right direction.

mad_jock
8th Jun 2012, 20:37
thats a huge big :E that will actually I suspect come in handie knowing that.

cats_five
9th Jun 2012, 08:42
<snip>

A 2 minute reading of the manual got me pointed in the right direction.

Ah yes - when all else fails RTFM!

maxred
9th Jun 2012, 10:09
I laughed at this. I am a great exponent of plug and play, then when it all goes wrong, I read the manual. I am currently having some problems with a headset, Lightspeed, and the first thing I am going to check are the settings:\

piperboy84
9th Jun 2012, 16:57
Well while I have your attention on the subject of avionics equipment let me throw out another issue I have that I did read the manual for and still no joy.

I have a Zaon XRX portable collision avoidance system that plugs into the fag lighter in the plane, the manual for the XRX says it can run on a supply of 12 thru 40v on aircraft with a negative ground electrical system(which according to the manual for the Maule Mx-7-180a my aircraft has), I bought it from EBAY used and noticed that when running at cruise power(2300rpm) the screen would go all to **** kind of like if you sat on your mobile phone and bend the screen with big black squares and triangles displayed. The system would continuously reboot itself. I took it out of the plane and drove around for a week with it in the car and it works perfectly, so I sent it back to the factory for a check and they said it was all fine. I then put it back in the plane and it was straight back to its funky screen rebooting nonsense, I watched the little red light on the power supply plug in the fag lighter and it stays continuously on so I know I am not losing power.

Any ideas?