PDA

View Full Version : In an emergency - Wind your watch

fly911
5th Jun 2012, 11:48
When I first went through HEMS training, one of the things I was taught was try not to make the emergency worse. Here's a report from the Palm Beach Post (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/helicopter-lands-hard-rolls-on-side-after-hitting-2390614.html). I'm not finding fault with the pilot, first of all because I don't know the whole story and secondly, we may all be subject to the same stresses and the result may have been the same for each of us. How many of us consider emergency training
as practicing autorotations, stuck pedal, inadvertant IMC and don't think much about the psychological effects of finding yourself in the middle of an emergency? I haven't dealt with an actual emergency in so long that there's a lot I've forgotten.

INDIANTOWN — Authorities responded to a hard landing involving a helicopter with five people on board at Sunlight Ranch in western Martin County.

About 10:30 a.m. Monday, Martin County Sheriff's Office deputies and Martin County Fire Rescue units responded to a helicopter that rolled on its side after an emergency landing, said Capt. John Wardle of the Sheriff's Office.

The helicopter was 800 feet in the air when it collided with a buzzard, he said.

The collision made the helicopter shake badly and the pilot landed in a field, he said.

Once the helicopter landed, it rolled on it side, Wardle said.

No injuries were reported.

The Federal Aviation Administration has been contacted about the incident, Wardle said.

SASless
5th Jun 2012, 11:56
Buzzards can be of some great size....depending upon how badly the aircraft was vibrating.....I can see some wisdom in making an Emergency Landing following a collision with a bird of that size.

Trying to make any sort of evaluation of the Pilot's reaction to such and event based upon that news report.....well simply isn't worth doing as it is entirely too vague.

No one got hurt.....which is the ultimate goal for every landing thus I would call the result.....Excellent!