PDA

View Full Version : Safe Take Off Distance???

Haubennotabwurf
5th Jun 2012, 10:10
I need your help for the definition of the "safe take off distance" term? I'm preparing myself for a job interview but I'm stumbling about this term/expression. :ugh:

Thank you very much for your help!

BOAC
5th Jun 2012, 11:44
Never heard of it and nor has Google apart from a mention in a 2009 Qatar interview thread at Qatar First officer Interview [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-385545.html) where no answer was given.

Try "Before the grass/sand" with a nod and a wink?

FlightPathOBN
5th Jun 2012, 20:40
Its what you tell the barber so he doesnt hit that mole on your head.....

Chris733
5th Jun 2012, 20:47
Any distance that doesn't result in the undercarriage being removed from the a/c on the climb out?

arba
5th Jun 2012, 23:21
could it be about safe separation between departing traffics ? you know, medium behind medium or behind heavy.

eagleflier
5th Jun 2012, 23:26
Safe separation between departing traffic is a function of time, not distance

john_tullamarine
6th Jun 2012, 01:05
.. from the various comments, it follows that the answer is "it depends" .. as is so often the case.

PJ2
6th Jun 2012, 02:38
How about, "Safe Takeoff Distance is that distance required for takeoff that falls within the Balanced Field Length (Accelerate-Stop) calculations for the type, which take into consideration WAT limits, (Weight, Altitude, Temperature), runway gradient, wind and runway contamination" ?

You might be able to find something useful in the "Takeoff Safety Training Aid (http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/training/media/takeoff_safety.pdf)" put out by the FAA some time ago. Give it a few moments to download.

Hope I didn't ruin anyone's fun. :) I liked the gear-removal prevention distance but perhaps your interviewer will like this one (http://www.takeofftube.com/view/46/spitfire-very-low-passage/) and hire you.

de facto
6th Jun 2012, 02:54
TOD<or = TODA and ASD<or= ASDA:E

PJ2
6th Jun 2012, 03:29
Yep. Couldn't have said it shorter. ;-)

PJ2

john_tullamarine
6th Jun 2012, 05:35
but perhaps your interviewer will like

ah, Ray Hanna's little party trick featuring the well-known, if somewhat surprised, racing driver ....

de facto
6th Jun 2012, 05:37
ah, Ray Hanna's little party trick featuring the well-known, if somewhat surprised, racing driver

No idea what you are talking about..( maybe why i never got icao level 6:E).

DaveReidUK
6th Jun 2012, 06:44
.. from the various comments, it follows that the answer is "it depends" .. as is so often the case.

No, the answer is that the term is meaningless, and so the likelihood of it coming up in the OP's forthcoming job interview is extremely remote, unless there's something that he/she isn't telling us.

john_tullamarine
6th Jun 2012, 06:58
No idea what you are talking about..

the video clip in PJ2's link features Ray Hanna in the cockpit and Alain de Cadenet (not at all a journalist as suggested) doing the commentary ...

Probably easier to get to here

Natstrackalpha
6th Jun 2012, 08:58
Come on Chaps, experienced pilots all, how would you answer the question . .?
You know you would.
Also, under the same heading I am surprised the original poster could not have answered it him/herself, especially as s/he has got as far as the interview with a large airline.
Forget "definition" just answer the question.

Like it is TORR < TORA and/or gets you safely off the deck (as indicated on your charts/graph/bug card/weight/temp/altitude/power graphs, cards etc coupled with a an ATPL course costing a mere 20/30/40/50 and the rest,000s of pounds) and into the air without touching the stopway nor hitting the lights and climbing away clearing all OCL/OCH, with plenty of margin available requiring no special effort and undertaking to successfully comply with all your gradients and gross and net takeoff stuff and basically, having achieved a good result in Perf `A` then it should be a doddle.
All determined by your WAT calcs at the beginning of the flight, is the perf required ample, amply within TODA and TORA?
Y/N? If = Y then takeoff If = N then you cannot takeoff unless you unload something or somebody.
Additionally, one assumes the slope, surface length have all been taken into consideration also, along with the mere takeoff perf of the aircraft at this W.A.T?

So, obvious, methinks you are all thinking the same thang and wondering why the poor chap has simply no idea him/herself - that being the case then it is hardly likely that he is going to crack the interview, or am I being pessimistic?

de facto
6th Jun 2012, 09:02
Forget "definition" just answer the question.

See post#9:hmm:

Natstrackalpha
6th Jun 2012, 09:25
See post#9http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

. . .alas yes . . I must learn to read and to s--t the f--- up.

de facto
6th Jun 2012, 09:35
alas yes . . I must learn to read and to s--t the f--- up

Slightly on the harsh side there:p

Natstrackalpha
6th Jun 2012, 09:49
. . . just being expressive, old chap.

daved123
6th Jun 2012, 20:25
VERY low Harrier ("I won't flinch..") - YouTube

DaveD