PDA

View Full Version : how to use JAR PPL in USA

McTall
4th Jun 2012, 20:21
Hi all, fairly new to all this so go easy on me. I currently have a uk JAR PPL with an SEP and night rating. I am going to Newyork state in July to visit family and wanted to do some flying. What do I need to do to be able to excercise my privaleges of my license whilst over there?

Thanks

BackPacker
4th Jun 2012, 20:39
Start here:

Airmen Certification - Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

And/or search this forum for "piggyback".

Zulu Alpha
4th Jun 2012, 21:01
You can't fly directly on your JAR licence.

You have to get a US licence, there are two ways to do this

1 Get a "piggyback " licence which is a US licence issued on the back of your JAR one. As long as your JAR one is valid then your US one will be. The link above details how to do this.

2 Take a US written and flight exam and get a standalone US licence. This will also require a US medical. The advantage of this is that you can add US ratings such as instrument etc on to it whereas you can't with option 1.

B2N2
4th Jun 2012, 22:18
The advantage of this is that you can add US ratings such as instrument etc on to it whereas you can't with option 1.

Incorrect.
You can add any US rating to a validated certificate.
IR, Seaplane, ME anything you like.
It will read "US test passed".

You can also add foreign ratings to a validated US PPL by going through the validation process again and having it added.

Example, this year July you apply for and get a US PPL SEP validation.
In two years time you add a Multi engine rating in JAA/EASA land.
You can now re-apply for a US validation with those ratings added.

Get a move on though, you are already late for July as this process can take up to 60 days.

7of9
5th Jun 2012, 00:17
You won't be leagal using your night rating out there either.

When i went throught the processe 3 years ago, i had to sit an open book writen exam, (maybe just a local thing), i had an hours check ride, having to demonstrait a Stall & Recovery, Tight controlled turns & PFL then three touch N Go's before they let me hire thier aircraft. Also had to take out Renters Insurance. That cost $215.00 & you need an address in USA for it.

Just come back from USA last week, & did 6 hours flying with the same hire company & only had to demonstrait three touch & go's, same last year.

Flying was $120.00 an hour, In C172 or PA28 where i was in Illinois, which is way cheaper than here.

Also went to another airfeild & he saw my sign off from the first hire company & just checked me out with three Touch & Go's in thier aircraft & i was free to fly from there.

Hope this helps, as someone pointed out earlier you need to apply to the Airman Certification NOW!! as it takes 60 days to complete & will cost you this end with the CAA I paid £45.00 to them to release the info to USA!!

Trev