PDA

View Full Version : PPL Study material

sheffieldlad
2nd Jun 2012, 13:37
Hi.
I'm starting to put together some study material before my PPL training begins. I want to get the exams out of the way as quickly as possible.

Does anyone know a good revision website for the PPL exams?

Many thanks,

Paul.

Jude098
2nd Jun 2012, 17:19
Hi

I found airquiz.com brilliant for testing yourself.

Not sure about these ones PPL Quiz - Aviation's Online Database (http://www.pplquiz.co.uk/login/login.asp)

Welcome to the free online private pilot ground school (http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/).

There is also a link somewhere on ppruneor ukga.com for joining free to CATS WBT 2.0 | Departure Lounge (Check-in) (http://www.catsaviation.com/2/?school=cats)

Pick up (from ebay) the Oxford Aviation CD's...they were excellent too.

sheffieldlad
2nd Jun 2012, 17:27
Thanks for the links Jude, I'll check them out now.

As a coincidence, I got the OAT CD's today.
I've been taking a look through them all morning.
I also got the 5 ATPL ones too, just to look through.
I haven't opened the ATPLs yet but if they are as good as the other ones I'll be a happy chappy.

Paul.

TractorBoy
2nd Jun 2012, 20:32
Get the PPL Confuser. Not too sure if its published anymore so you might have to troll round ebay etc, but its a Godsend.

If it isnt published anymore, the Air Law section may well be out of date.....

Mickey Kaye
3rd Jun 2012, 16:28
The OAT CDs and the confuser are all you need. It's then simply a case of learning the stuff.

Once your getting around 90% of the confuser questions correct then sit the exams and you will be fine.

I would suggest air law first although I find it the least interesting however numerous schools insist on that being passed before first solo.

sheffieldlad
3rd Jun 2012, 16:33
Thanks Mikey.

I've had the OAT air law book for around 12 months now and I'm guessing it's out of date.
I also have the OAT CD on air law but I haven't checked it to see how up to date it is.
In the case of the book (which I prefer to read rather than on a PC screen) What is the best way of identifying any current changes to air law?
I understand that changes can be quite frequent.

Paul.

Mickey Kaye
3rd Jun 2012, 16:40
To be honest a year old air law book will be more up to date. The CAA exam papers haven't been updated in quite a while.

Grob Queen
4th Jun 2012, 11:39
Airquiz is a brilliant online tool. Practice papers for all the PPL subjects and it highlights the areas you need to study more.

I certainly find it very helpful!

Good luck.
GQ

kevmusic
4th Jun 2012, 12:00
I found the airquiz site a godsend. I used it in conjunction with the Trevor Thom books. They're a little dry and uber-detailed, but they've got everything you need.

BackPacker
4th Jun 2012, 14:15
The CAA exam papers haven't been updated in quite a while.

With EASA regulations in place, but the CAA still issuing JAR-FCL licenses (which are "deemed" EASA-FCL licenses anyway), I can well imagine that the CAA Air Law exams are actually outright wrong at the moment.

But I can also imagine that it's exceedingly difficult to come up with a new set of Air Law exam papers right now that are right, and will be right in the upcoming few months, while all sorts of supporting EASA documents have not been published (including Acceptable Means of Compliance and such).

So if you're a PPL student at the moment: Ignore what is actually the law at the moment. Study the Air Law book that goes with the CAA exam papers, and simply assume the ANO is still in effect in full. It may sound odd, but learning outdated information might be the only method to gain a pass, at this very moment.

Or wait until EASA-FCL is well and truly established, all details have been published and implemented, and a new set of exam papers has been issued. I don't know the exact date, but it'll probably be somewhere end of this year earliest.

"Caught between a rock and a hard place" comes to mind. But that doesn't apply just to students. I would not want to be working for the CAA at the moment.