PDA

View Full Version : Broken Nose and Flying (Split from another topic)

piperboy84
26th May 2012, 20:42
Well my plans of doing a heap of flying round Scotland next week are out the window, wanted to put to use some of the intensive training I have been doing over the last 3 weeks, but had an accident in the house yesterday and have broken my nose and gashed my head, not sure what the official position is for flying with an injury like that, but I think a self imposed grounding of 2 or 3 weeks at least is in order, and with my luck by that time the weather will be back to pissing rain

mad_jock
26th May 2012, 20:48
Just wait until the sinus infection kicks in an you get terets every time you sneeze.

Driving a car is a bitch never mind a plane.

piperboy84
26th May 2012, 20:51
Thats the last thing i need, hopefully all the drugs the hospital pumped into me will ward of any sinus problems

mad_jock
26th May 2012, 20:57
No chance, you always get a cold/sinus thing in my 15 years experence playing rugby.

Two days time you will have two cracking black eyes.

Then you have to wait for all the swelling to go down. Then you go to hospital again just as it doesn't hurt any more and the cold/sinus thing goes away.

They then rebreak it using a hammer and tuning fork type thing and you get the cold/sinus thing back again.

piperboy84
26th May 2012, 21:04
They then rebreak it using a hammer

Your joking right? I have the flight back on wednesday LAX to LHR to EDI last thing i need is a sinus problem on the flight, the biggest problem i got right now is my hands , i knocked myself out when i fell against the kitchen counter and now my hands are stinging like a bastard as i think when i was lying unconscious in an awkward position i must have pinched a nerve my hands feel like they are on fire

mad_jock
26th May 2012, 21:12
No mate I am not.

If you were knocked out you definately shouldn't fly before seeing an AME again.

And I think you are going to be pushing it flying Wednesday. Thats only going to be 4 days afterwards and right in the middle of the sneezing. Your eyes are going to be like panda's.

Its usually about 6-7 days before they get you back in. It depends on the break what they do and if any of your tubes are restricted. You really don't want to leave it to long though if it needs rebroken because these otho gorillas will just need to use more force to break it again.

piperboy84
26th May 2012, 21:21
The ER doctor put 6 stiches in and says come back in 10 days to get them out then go see a plastic surgeon, i figured i will be back in scotland by then so i would go down Ninewells to get them to take the stitches out and see what it needs, my breathing through right now is absolutely fine, another reason i want to get home is i did not get med insurance while here and that one night in the hospital where they done a cat scan etc is looking like its gonna be about 4 or 5 thousand USD i had to pay a deposit of 1000 USD when i was waiting to see the ER doctor, so i just wanna get home. and not sure about all this plastic surgeon ****e here

mad_jock
26th May 2012, 21:36
Stick some ice packs on it and cross your fingers then.

As soon as you start sneezing its about 4 days until everything sorts its self out.

But the good news is the first time you break your nose is by far the worst.

I would wait until the cold thing clears then come back.

You don't get to see a plastic surgeon in the UK you get some othorpedic gorrilla who first trys to break it using his hand then gets the hammer out which doesn't actually hurt which suprised me.

piperboy84
26th May 2012, 21:41
Thanks for the advice MJ, i have never broken it before my ticket is flexible so i will play it by ear and see how i am doing Tuesday then decide whether to fly or not, cant believe i have done this, really annoying

mad_jock
26th May 2012, 21:47
Unfortunately the being knocked out thing has grounded you though until you see your AME.

piperboy84
26th May 2012, 21:51
What will he do to verify that i am fit to fly again? i have had a cat scan here should i request a copy of it, As i fly on a FAA PPL i may got the Aircraft Medical doc here before i leave.

'India-Mike
26th May 2012, 21:54
Don't know who you might use for FAA AME here piperboy, but there's an FAA AME in Bearsden - close enough, perhaps.

piperboy84
26th May 2012, 21:58
IM Do you know the name or contact info for the Bearsden guy ?

'India-Mike
26th May 2012, 22:04
I'm sure I'm not breaking any confidences since I've lifted this straight off the CAA website....

Dr D Doyle
35 Thorn Road
Bearsden
Glasgow
UK
G61 4BS
Tel: 07766 332404
[email protected]
Also authorised by CASA, Transport Canada, FAA, NZCAA, South African CAA
(subject to valid approval)

I don't use him myself but he's an absolutely splendid chap. A real enthusiast

mad_jock
26th May 2012, 22:08
Actually I would post on the medical forum here and see if its wise to fly anyway after a head injury where you have been knocked out. Decreased pressure in the cabin might not do you any favours.

Anyway think yourself lucky you didn't bruise your ribs, now that really does hurt.

piperboy84
26th May 2012, 22:12
Thanks IM, I'll give him a buzz, to be honest i can handle the medical stuff its flight back i dreading . my face looks like freddy kruger, and i have bought a bunch a stuff from Aircraft Spruce for the plane so i am gonna look like a right idiot humphing a big box thru Heathrow looking like i have just done 12 rounds with the champ !!

mad_jock
26th May 2012, 22:15
my face looks like freddy kruger

To be fair thats not really uncommon in Dundee.

piperboy84
26th May 2012, 22:23
LOL oh believe me i have already had all the smart arsed comments when i told the other half and the family that i need to see a plastic surgeon. If i recall correctly there was a whole bunch of " what the f**k for" and "would you like me to send you a picture of myself so he can get ya fixed up right" and " dinnea waste your money there is no point" to name a few

'India-Mike
26th May 2012, 22:24
Best medical school in Scotland apparently. Dundee, that is. Then again it was a Dundee medic wot told me that....

airpolice
26th May 2012, 22:25
Piperboy, with no medical insurance, imagine the cost of having to get a transatlantic flight to divert because you are unwell, and you knew about it beforehand.

The lawyers will eat what's left of you.

See a proper doctor as soon as possible, and certainly before you get on a plane.

piperboy84
26th May 2012, 22:35
Yeah, I know a ear, nose and throat doc here i will see before i go just to be safe, dont want anything dramatic happening, if it just a bit pain on the flight i can deal with that.

fernytickles
27th May 2012, 04:34
Piperboy84,

Sorry to read about your dramas. If you have concerns about your medical questions, try contacting AOPA - assuming you are a member - they have a really good department to help you with that sort of stuff.

Think up several really good sympathy-inducing stories for the cabin crew on the flight home when they see your multi-coloured bruises ;)

mad_jock
28th May 2012, 10:14
So how is your coupon coming along?

And how many kids have you scared ****eless?

piperboy84
28th May 2012, 12:31
Modelling career on hold for the moment, have not left the house except to see the doc yesterday, asked her about the sinus thing you mentioned, she says i should be fine as there was no bleeding into the sinuses , she said i can fly but just don't sneeze ( how the hell that is gonna work i don't know)

mad_jock
28th May 2012, 12:49
Fingers crossed for ya.

piperboy84
28th May 2012, 13:01
Funny thing was when i mentioned to the doc and the nurse about talking on the net about the sinus thing they both looked at each other with a knowing glance and the doc says "let me guess you googled WebMD" then the nurse says in a real sarcastic way " you know i really don't know why folk bother coming into hospitals any more when there is so much "expertise" online".

I guess they get that a lot nowadays, the good thing they did was gave me a cdrom of the cat-scan for the docs in Scotland which i thought was decent of them

mad_jock
28th May 2012, 13:15
You should have said no.

I was told by a scotsman who's head has been used for a rugby ball a few times.

So they bloody should at the price you payed for it.