PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Insurance in the UK

piperboy84
24th May 2012, 18:26
Anyone out there a PPL (non IFR) with about 500 hours that owns/insures a 180hp light aircraft in the UK, I got quotes of around 1500 quid, I want to make sure this is in the ballpark . Anyone any idea what percentage insurers charge for covering a taildragger over a trike?

peterh337
24th May 2012, 18:58
What is the hull value? For anything worth anything, that is the bulk of the premium.

rans6andrew
24th May 2012, 19:34
I have a £40K, 100 Hp microlight with all of the risks, hull, 3rd party, passenger etc and I have 400 hours microlight and 86 hours other. The cover is just for me and LAA agreed test pilots It just cost me £1140 to renew for Europe wide cover. Oh, it usually lives in an open fronted hangar.

If the power counts for anything in insurance, then your estimate seems reasonable. Are you the sole user?

Rans6....

flybymike
24th May 2012, 23:22
Number of seats also relevant. Your quote sounds about right for a four seater.

piperboy84
25th May 2012, 02:01
70k hull value
3.5m 3rd party liability
125k per passenger (375k total with 4 seats)

Ornis
25th May 2012, 04:25
Insurance is expensive in NZ and I decided to carry my own hull insurance: if I don't survive it doesn't matter and if I do I would have to fix it myself or go without. I now have third-party only and Traffords is cheap. I don't know anything about the company. I would be interested to know how you get on.

Traffords Pleasurecraft, Aircraft & Travel Insurance (http://www.aircraft-insurance.co.uk/)

piperboy84
25th May 2012, 04:47
Its Traffords that are quoting it, and to be honest after looking around the price aint bad, they are offering a 400 quid discount from last year due to me getting some dual time, I talked to a friend in the USA who has a 2002 maule with a 235hp he has a gazzilion hours, a bunch of certifications and more jet type ratings than you can shake a stick at and his insurance is about the same as what I (a lowly VFR minimum time duffer) was quoted.

I did not realize that I could chose to insure or not insure the hull, I am of the same opinion that if i crash and die, fixing the plane would be pretty far down my list of things to do upon arriving at the pearly gates and if I survived I figure it could not have been that duffed up that it wont fix.

rtl_flyer
25th May 2012, 14:26
I did not realize that I could chose to insure or not insure the hull, I am of the same opinion that if i crash and die, fixing the plane would be pretty far down my list of things to do upon arriving at the pearly gates and if I survived I figure it could not have been that duffed up that it wont fix.

A friend had engine failure on take off. Forced landing in a field that he walked away from without a scratch. One wing mashed on a bush/tree, prop and shock load engine few other small bits. Being insured made the situation a lot better!!

Your decision but think about it carefully.

Just got my renewal:
Two aircraft (65k and 75k hulls) Only one flying at a time.
500hrs plus pilot.
£2.2k

Haywards, renewal quote about 300 less than last year. They have been great to deal with. Not connected etc...

Tim

englishal
25th May 2012, 16:11
We pay about 1700 for a complex retract at £80,000, including one low time pilot. For a 160HP 40k aeroplane we paid about 1200, so your quote sounds reasonable.