PDA

View Full Version : SID/ STAR name designator.

OneTwoTree
22nd May 2012, 07:52
Good day,

Just a quick question: is there any rhyme or reason behind SID and STAR names? What does (eg.) the "1A" in a PASPU1A SID mean in the SIN charts. Or what about the "5P" in MONTY5P STAR in the MEL charts?

Thanks!

OneTwoTree

OK465
22nd May 2012, 15:09
Or what about the "5P" in MONTY5P STAR in the MEL charts?

Fifth iteration of the MONTY STAR?...P for Python? :)

Can one fly only a transition portion of the MONTY STAR, or does one always go with the full MONTY? :}

Tu.114
22nd May 2012, 16:54
At VIE for example, a SID is named for its terminal waypoint, its issue and its departure runway. A departures leave from Rwy. 11, B departures from 16, C from 29 and D -you guessed it, I am sure - from 34. In the rare instance of two different routes from the same runway to the same fix, the secondary one is appended with an X instead.

So the ABLOM 5D will be the 5th revision of the ABLOM-bound Rwy. 34 departure.

At other fields, other systems may be used: at LEJ, departures from the northern runway (08L/26R) often have an N and those from the southern one carry a S (TORPU 2N or TORPU 2S for example).

hawk37
22nd May 2012, 17:43
Ahh very good OK465. Re the STAR, will you "fly" it down and link us to your full MONTY?

wiggy
22nd May 2012, 17:52
There's a KEGUN arrival into Liverpool - why isn't there a RINGO Star?

I'll get my coat.

keel beam
22nd May 2012, 18:24
Is it true there will be a Dublin waypoint called OLERY, perhaps maybe WILLY or WALSH for Madrid

Zippy Monster
22nd May 2012, 18:38
Have happy memories of being cleared for the PIGOT 1J into EMA - with the waypoint PIGOT being just south of Leicester :ok:

renard
22nd May 2012, 19:30
I think TU144 has got it right.

In the UK I believe that it goes like this

BPK5T

BPK is the end of the SID

5 is the revision number

T is the runway designator - in this case RWY27 at EGLC.

There are other BPK departures for other airfields in the London area e.g. BPK7F is for EGLL

wiggy
22nd May 2012, 19:34
keel beam

At the risk of being flamed from drifting from STARS to waypoint names I reckon our Oz ATC mates probably should win the award for creative waypoint naming, there's a string of waypoints of the West coast of W.A., Australia...., from north to south they are:

WONSA JOLLY SWAGY CAMBS BUIYA BYLLA BONGS UNDER ACOOL EBARR TREES

Further east there's the string of waypoints:

WHOOL.WINDA, WILAM ,WHEBB, ELLIS ,TROPHY

;)

gorter
23rd May 2012, 10:29
I think in the states somewhere there's a string of waypoints called ITHOT ISAWW APUDY TAAAT, IDEED from Tom and Jerry. I stand to be corrected.

BOAC
23rd May 2012, 10:37
There's always Nick's excellent site (http://www.reportingpoints.info/).

compressor stall
23rd May 2012, 10:52
Gorter, that may be in the states as well, but off the top of my head, the same string of waypoints goes across Queensland to Townsville.

Crabman
23rd May 2012, 12:32
In the States it is the rather famous "Looney Tunes" approach (RNAV RWY 16) to KPSM (Portsmouth, NH - the old Pease AFB).

Waypoints are ITAWT, ITAWA, PUDYE, TTATT (with missed approach IDEED).

reynoldsno1
24th May 2012, 00:02
ICAO Annex 11 contains the protocol for STAR/SID and route designators. I believe there is also a waypoint sequence in Oz which goes LEAKY BOATS SINKK

Thridle Op Des
24th May 2012, 16:54
Corrections:

The WONSA etc waypoints were not a creation of OzATC but VP EK Flight Ops Support, gent with a strong sense of humour. ITAWT etc was Sylvester and Tweetie (actually Tweetie's line).

Anal I know, sorry, couldn't help myself!

TOD

Old Smokey
24th May 2012, 18:00
True, reynoldsno1, the waypoint STAR sequence for Brisbane RWY19 is LEAKY : BOATS : SINKK. From the opposite direction, also terminating at SINKK is DRAIN : PLUGG : SINKK.

Good that someone has a sense of humour. On a slightly more serious note, can anyone verify that Brisbane Terminal Area's COTON waypoint honours Sydney Cotton (of Sidcot flying suit and 3rd Reich spy flights fame). It's placed very close to the original Cotton family's homestead.

Regards,

Old Smokey

FlightPathOBN
24th May 2012, 20:47
The guy providing waypoint names for procedures in AUS had quite a flair, unfortunately, like all good things, that has also come to an end..no more fun names, and waypoints are being converted...

As well as those mentioned, there was BESST BEERN CHIPS

The ones that had the most interesting significance, were for the first RNP procedures into PSP
The FAA gave HOPYU, FUGOV, MORON, PUTRD, PUTOV

there is SBONO near PSP as well.

reynoldsno1
24th May 2012, 21:54
The guy providing waypoint names for procedures in AUS had quite a flair, unfortunately, like all good things, that has also come to an end
Not just in Oz - 'puter generated waypoint names are now de rigeur - no smiles, like passport photos. Mind you, BOLOX slipped through in NZ...:O

Boeing Europe
24th May 2012, 23:08
Well in DUB the BAGSO3R is via ROKNA etc etc or a 3T arrival is via TULSO

FlightPathOBN
24th May 2012, 23:12
oh I know, now the waypoints have to start with the last 2 of the aerodrome...unless there is already that, then its the first 2, then who knows what....boring.

I did PASC, Deadhorse, but ASC is Ascension, so its SCC.....

then there are the 'unpronounceable' waypoints used in nav, but never spoken over the air...

gorter
25th May 2012, 23:18
The one I don't understand is elvos. Is he the king's Greek cousin? Actually I've been lead to believe that it was up for an atc competition and the winner mashed together his and his partner's names??