PDA

View Full Version : Danger Areas and the Queens Birthday?

rans6andrew
19th May 2012, 12:31
I checked the NOTAMs earlier today, with the intention of bimbling off to the IOW for lunch. Nightmare. Umpteen sets of airspace closures with umpteen * N sets of coordinates to figure out exactly where the closed airspace lies, all for a few aircraft to fly by and celebrate the Queen's birthday. Fair enough.

I can't help thinking that a few place names in the data would make it easier to locate the closed areas,

The one thing that did surprise me though, Portsmouth danger areas D36, D37 and D38 were NOTAMed active for the same times as the fly by. What does happen in the 3 Portsmouth danger areas? Does it extend down low enough to impact on the sailing fraternity? Do they have an equivalent notification system, NOSEMs?

Also, there was an area south of the IOW which was "no aircraft to fly" below 10,000 feet. What was that all about?

Just curious.

Rans6.....

2 sheds
19th May 2012, 12:38
Rans6

You can see what the activity is in any DA in the AIP ENR5.

2 s

FantomZorbin
19th May 2012, 12:51
Also, there was an area south of the IOW which was "no aircraft to fly" below 10,000 feet. What was that all about?

Cockpits full of Mk1 Eyeballs trying to find mates to join up with?

SunnyDayInWiltshire
19th May 2012, 14:02
Does it extend down low enough to impact on the sailing fraternity? Do they have an equivalent notification system, NOSEMs?

There are the equivalent of danger areas in the sailing world too. Typically marked on the charts as exclusion areas such as firing ranges, naval facilities etc. You can phone ahead to see if the areas are active before you set off. For example, the Lulworth range on the Dorset coast (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/DefenceEstateandEnvironment/AccessRecreation/SouthWest/LulworthRanges.htm)

Often these are patrolled by fast powerboats that will come and encourage you to leave if you have inadvertently strayed in - similar to being intercepted by fighter aircraft.

I'm not aware of any equivalent electronic notification or website that lists/promulgates the information in the same way as for pilots. Perhaps because it doesn't tend to change that often.

There are also more temporary/informal arrangements. For example, at Devonport, I have had the pleasure of being "encouraged" to leave the main channel while a warship came in to dock. The gentleman with the machine gun on the rib speedboat was very clear and professional about his instructions, but there was no question about whether I would comply or not!

CharlieDeltaUK
19th May 2012, 16:04
Yes, the sailing fraternity have a similar scheme: Notices to Mariners. But very few leisure folk would check it. Material changes tend to be publicised in magazines and also on coastguard VHF transmissions. On rare occasions of restricted areas, they tend to be policed by patrol boats.

chevvron
19th May 2012, 20:44
The flypast today was Queen's Jubilee not Queen's Birthday; that comes next month and affects more airfields north east and north west of London with even more voluminous RA(T)s!

robin
19th May 2012, 21:09
It was clearly mapped on Skydemon Light - a system I am becoming more and more impressed with

rans6andrew
20th May 2012, 13:14
thanks 2 Sheds,

interesting, seems that some one in the services woke up one morning and said "mmm, what are we going to do for the Jubilee, I know, lets go and do some target towing in D36, D37 and D38, we could also fire off a few shells".

Rans6...

welkyboy
20th May 2012, 18:39
The Danger Areas were active as that is where all the aircraft for the fly past rendezvoused prior to setting course for Windsor.

UV
20th May 2012, 21:41
I checked the NOTAMs earlier today, with the intention of bimbling off to the IOW for lunch. Nightmare. Umpteen sets of airspace closures with umpteen * N sets of coordinates to figure out exactly where the closed airspace lies, all for a few aircraft to fly by and celebrate the Queen's birthday. Fair enough.

A Few, a few?? Only Coordinates?
Ever thought of reading the relevant AIC?
I will leave you to find it...soooo easy.

hobbit1983
21st May 2012, 06:55
It was clearly mapped on Skydemon Light - a system I am becoming more and more impressed with

Same here.