PDA

View Full Version : mnemonics taught on checks for IFR/IMC

pipertommy
11th May 2012, 20:18
Hi, wondered what students are taught in the way of mnemonic checks ie initial approach.
I understand IR/ME have set check lists to remember. I am thinking more of a PA28 imc student.
Thanks

RTN11
11th May 2012, 21:40
No need for mnemonics, but there are a lot of things that are used as a trigger to commence an action or checklist.

For example, hitting the beacon to go outbound for a procedure, start the watch, commence descent, possibly one stage of flap and complete pre-landing checks.

Having completed the base turn, one dot fly up on the ILS, two flap and gear down.

1000' check reds blues greens.

These can be amended, but always act as a prompt, so if you're halfway down the descent thinking what to do next, the trigger is there in your mind.

There aren't specifically any more checks than VFR flying, you just need to stay on top of things, remember to select identify display any beacons, and when you do a FREDA check make sure you are also checking suction and ammeter.

In terms of emergency drills, these are far better learnt as a flow check then nothing gets missed out, and you're not jumping from one side of the cockpit to the other trying to follow some poorly crafted mnemonic while trying to fly on instruments.

Big Pistons Forever
12th May 2012, 01:12
When crossing a fix/beacon/VOR for a hold or approach

The 5 "T's"

Turn: To the next heading

Time: Start the stop watch

Throttle: Adjust as required

Track: Establish the heading to maintain the desired track

Talk: Make the appropriate report to ATC

Duchess_Driver
12th May 2012, 06:30
As a planning methodology....

HIGRAPE

Heading Outbound
Intercept Heading
Groundspeed
Rate of Descent
Attitude
Power Required
Effect of Wind

In the air..... FREDAMI with the M for MSA and I for Icing.

hvogt
12th May 2012, 19:35
In my flight school they used "WARNBIC" as a mnemonic for approach preparation. It stands for

Weather,
ATC clearance,
Radios set,
NAV frequencies set,
Briefing,
Items and
Check list

pipertommy
13th May 2012, 09:11
Thanks everyone. I like WARNBIC.

Calicfi
13th May 2012, 16:58
Setting up navaids:
Tune Frequency
Identify navaid
Twist OBS
Standby Frequency

I teach my student a different type on WARNBIC. I use WARNBEC instead where E means entry. For example this will be a teardrop entry. Or if you get vectors for an approach you simply state that.

pipertommy
16th May 2012, 20:33
Thanks for all the replys. Much appreciated.