PDA

View Full Version : Which aircraft to buy?

InvertedBob
11th May 2012, 16:21
Hello Pilots,
I have my SEP license but I'm not getting up there. Hiring C152s at Shoreham is all well and good but I don't enjoy flying them much. I have decided that the only way to keep me in the air is to buy a fun flying machine, but I don't know what to get.
I have about 130 hours, 35 of them on Piper Cubs, a machine that I thoroughly enjoy flying. I learnt on C152s and have flown a C172, a Warrior and Super Decatholan, but they don't really do it for me. A little too refined.
I want a taildragger and a TST Thruster comes to mind as being a whole lot of fun, if rather impractical, but the hours will not count towards my licence renewals.
I notice that quite a number of Microlight fixed wings can be classified as Group A aircraft and are on Permit to Fly and run on Mogas. I'd rather not have a machine on a C of A due to costs.
Something that blends (relative) economy with a lot of fun. Do any of you wise aviators have any suggestions?

stiknruda
11th May 2012, 17:55
I bought a share in an HAL26 Pushpak - an Indian built Aeronca Chief clone. Cruise at 90mph, 4.5gph, no electrics, no radio, no transponder. It took me all over the UK. I sold my share after about 7 years after doing about 200hrs and still made money (including all running costs!)

I'd have a look at Aeroncas, Taylorcraft, Luscombes as because they don't have the Cub label they are IMHO undervalued and great fun ways of inexpensively committing aviation.

LAA PtF - so maintenance can be relatively cheap and its great to learn how your kite really works!

Stik

4535jacks
11th May 2012, 18:17
Jodels are very hard to beat and are fantastic to fly. Definitely look at LAA Permit to Fly. I have a Jodel 150 Masaret and never tire of flying it. Taildraggers are certainly more interesting to fly.

There are a range of Jodels to suit many budgets.

Other alternatives are:

Piel Emeraude
Luscombe
Taylorcraft
Auster
Gardan Minicab
Cessna 120
Menestrel HN700
Rollason Condor

A and C
11th May 2012, 18:33
I think a little more detail of what sort of mission you have in mind for the aircraft would help the forum make more useful comment.

riverrock83
11th May 2012, 18:44
Have you thought about joining a group? There is a lot of things involved in keeping a aeroplane in the air and being part of a group will reduce your efforts considerably. If you choose the right group then aircraft availability will only rarely be an issue.
They also often provide a number of like minded individuals who you can go places with!

foxmoth
11th May 2012, 20:58
With your Pprune name I would have thought a share in an Aerobatic aircraft has to be in the frame and I would suggest an RV share if you can find one, handling even better than a Chippie IMHO and without the expense!:ok:

thing
11th May 2012, 21:17
Other alternatives are:

Piel Emeraude
Luscombe
Taylorcraft
Auster
Gardan Minicab
Cessna 120
Menestrel HN700
Rollason Condor

Guy at my club owns two out of that list and they are indeed topping aircraft.

stiknruda
12th May 2012, 07:24
Condors are sweet to fly but "suffer" from limited range - not an issue for some people with small bladders!

Monocock
12th May 2012, 08:24
This would suit what you're looking for. You can take it home on a trailer and avoid hangar fees too.

Ignore all the rubbish spoken about them being hard to fly. If you can fly a Cub, you can fly a Kitfox. They're a blast to fly and will see you in and out of any strips you want to visit very easily. Doors open on a Summer evening there's nothing better. After having 2 Luscombes and a Taylorcraft (all excellent fun) I bought my first Kitfox in 2008 and have been flying them ever since.

Denney Kitfox MK3 (Group A) (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=19242&imid=0)

The500man
12th May 2012, 10:25
they are indeed topping aircraft.

Topping (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/05/20) :)

InvertedBob
13th May 2012, 16:02
Thanks for all the useful responses, much appreciated.
Just back from Popham Piper flyin (went by car) and drooled over the many Cubs.
I am quite keen on the Kitfox idea. The nice silvery one in the afors advert looks and sounds OK to the untrained eye.
Any comments on it from you more in the know?
Denney Kitfox MK3 (Group A) (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=19242&imid=0)
It is near Dublin. How risky is it to fly one back from Ireland?

Jan Olieslagers
13th May 2012, 17:05
If the Kitfox has an attraction, you could also take a look at the Apollo Fox and the Eurofox. These are direct descendants with (I am told) very similar flying characteristics. They can often be found at very decent prices. However if you find one for sale it will most likely be tricycle, not the taildragger config.

As for crossing the Irish sea: yes, if you can climb high enough to remain within gliding distance of the coast. Especially as it seems to have 2-stroke power - not inherently less reliable, but delicate on maintenance and operational procedures.

Monocock
13th May 2012, 19:50
Any comments on it from you more in the know?
Denney Kitfox MK3 (Group A)
It is near Dublin. How risky is it to fly one back from Ireland?

Bob,

It depends a lot on how much you want to spend. The variation between models is huge and you can get a 2 stroke Mk 1 to 3 for between £8k and £12k. Many of the Mk 4's have the 4 stroke 912 now (as do some Mk 3's) and these will set you back between £15k and £23k in this market, depending on condition. There's a Mk 5 in the UK (mine and not for sale!!) and a Mk 7 (also not for sale).

If you are looking for a fun machine to bomb in and out of strips in with no expectation of long distance cruising, the 2 stroke machines are perfect. Fun factor is off the scale.

If you want to do strips AND would like to be able to travel some distance now and again, the 4 stroke 912 versions would suit you better.

As for crossing the Irish Sea, no problem. The 2 stroke Rotaxes are reliable IF they are maintained properly. I did 130 hours in 2 years in my old Mk 4 Kitfox with a Rotax 582 and it never missed a beat.

I nearly went to Popham today but was invited to another fly in nearby. If you see me at an airfield make yourself known. Whilst I'd be happy to take you for a fly, mine wouldn't give you the typical Kitfox experience as it's very different to the earlier Mk's. There are lots of knowledgeable people in the UK when it comes to Kitfox who I can put you in touch with if you're serious about buying.

InvertedBob
17th May 2012, 14:56
Thanks again people.
I am now doing lots of research on the different types suggested. I'm spoilt for choice.

4535jacks
17th May 2012, 21:58
Another option is a murphy maverick. They are like the outfox but not have folding wings.

My first aircraft was a maverick and it was a fantastic aircraft. They are incredible stable yet responsive and can be flown from short fields.

There are two strokes powered by 503s and 582s and 4 strokes powered by jabirus and 912s.

They are quite rare in the uk but I may know of a 2-stroke for sale.

They are classed as microlights with a mauw of 380-430 (engine dependent)

The guy I bought mine off bought a 912 kitfox. He said he miss the maverick and felt that it flew better and was more benign. The maverick isn't quite as fast as the kitfox at 75mph in the cruise.

Food for thought

If you are happy to build then the Groppo trial seems very popular and it is very similar to the cub (microlight version also availible)

If you want a 3-axis microlight then Escapades are very nice also.

Good luck with the search and keep an eye on afors!!!!