PDA

View Full Version : Doncaster Robin Hood - Mandatory Handling?

mr_rodge
8th May 2012, 12:48
I've just read the latest issue of Flyer and there's an article on mandatory handling. It gives very brief reference to a recent incident at Doncaster where a GA pilot landed and was hit with a mandatory handling charge of circa £500.

I've had a Google round for details as I'm interested in flying in to see the Vulcan but I've had no joy. Does anyone have any details? I must say it's putting me off...

Cheers.

thing
8th May 2012, 16:02
1 Cargo handling facilities: By arrangement with Servisair. Tel: 01302-625103. Fax: 01302-625112.
2 Fuel/oil types: AVTUR JET A-1L; AVGAS 100LL.
3 Fuelling facilities/capacity: Bowser Facility - Pressure and Overwing.
4 De-icing facilities: Mechanical. Chemical de-icing.
5 Hangar space available for visiting aircraft: Limited.
6 Repair facilities for visiting aircraft: Kinch Aviation: Tel: 01302-511047, Fax: 01302-511048.
7 Remarks: All visiting aircraft are subject to mandatory handling and PPR.
Operators are requested to contact one of the handling agents in advance.
Full handling services are available from:
Servisair: Tel: 01302-625103. Fax: 01302-625112. Frequency: 130.600 MHz
Signature Flight Support: Tel: 01302-624844. Fax: 01302-624846
(GA and Executive Aviation) Frequency: 122.350 MHz.
AMDT

Give them a bell and find out. Let us know. Last instrument approach I did into there (not landing) was £4.50. £500 seems a bit steep.

Oldpilot55
8th May 2012, 16:14
Perhaps it was an out of hours handling charge. I have heard of this happening at Doncaster to a local ferry pilot. Perhaps it is the same incident?

paulthornton
8th May 2012, 18:04
The last time I flew up there in a DA40, Signature charged £74 for landing, handling and overnight parking; and that was during the St Leger race weekend so they were quite busy.

This was in 2010 so the costs have probably gone up since.

Paul.

goldeneaglepilot
9th May 2012, 07:58
To put to bed the questions about Doncaster - the problems that arouse with respect to the mentioned flight were due to an increase of charges that amounted to an increase of over 300% over the previous landing at a similar time and an employee of Signature's coming on here (in disguise!!) to defend his mistake in the bill.

Fortunatly, Signature did refund the pilot the extra he was charged in error.

My advice would be to ring them prior to landing and agree a rate - then ask them to confirm it by email. Then no nasty surprises or dispute after landing.

mr_rodge
9th May 2012, 08:04
Oldpilot55,

That could be it. Come to think of I've heard rumours that Humberside do the same if you're a minute late.

I'll give them a call and find out what they charge.

Thanks.

Pace
9th May 2012, 08:18
Mr Rodge

I often fly a Citation in there for maintenance and did so a few days back just as they were pulling the Vulcan out of the Hanger.
It was no more than 50 yds away! What a sight ;) How is it we do not build aircraft like that and Concord which touch the soul anymore :{
I dread to think what their fuel bills.

GoldenEaglePilot started a thread backing this ferry pilot who landed out of hours and got a huge Bill.
The thread got quite heated for and against Signature who I have always found very helpful on the occasion I have used them.
The thread was then pulled.
Maybe a PM to GoldenEaglePilot may give you more info.

Pace

JOE-FBS
9th May 2012, 11:53
I flew into Doncaster a couple of times last year and while it's not cheap (but then they do have radar, ILS, etc.) it's not three figures. Details of my and other people's experiences here:

FLYER Forums • View topic - Doncaster Sheffield (EGCN) (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=70339&p=963117#p963117)

I went into Humberside two years ago and the landing fee and facilities were similar but there was no handling.

FLYER Forums • View topic - Humberside (EGNJ) (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=54192)

PS my trips to Doncaster were in a PA28 and a C152. Humberside was a PA28.